Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is great although would have more impact if it actually showed the proper proportions between 30 min, 90 min, and 3.5 hours.

Also worth remembering that even those ~30 minutes that Zack filmed and made it into JL'17 were re-color graded, intercut with bad reshoots, and generally mucked about so even the half hour of "already seen" footage is going to be drastically different when properly produced and put in their original context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Roman posted:

Marvel movies mostly are a collection of cultural references and winking at the camera, and Wandavision is directly about all that, so it's funny to see some of those fans get worked up about one Joker meme

"... Kick rear end?"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol picturing a scene where batfleck explains his nightmare and specifically mentions that it's spelled Knightmare

A whiteboard in the background:

"Revelations from KnightmareTM:
- Superman = bad
- I'm friends with Joker now(??)
- cool trench coat (find where to buy in advance)"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Superrodan posted:

It looks so dark and miserable to me, like it's going to be all of the self importance of when comic books take themselves too seriously, and little to none of the fun. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Not to pick on you specifically, and certainly everyone gets different things out of these movies, but I’m still blown away when everyone says these movies are so joyless. For me while they tackle heavier aspects of super heroing they do it in a hopeful and ultimately optimistic way. Also in the first two Perry White and Alfred are both genuinely funny to me, even if the heroes aren’t the ones cracking jokes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It’s literally such a choppy movie, characters change looks and personality from scene to scene and sometimes within the same scene

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bullbar posted:

What can I say I like the flash

I’ve been waiting my entire life for the Flash in a movie and Whedon made him fall on some tits like come onnnn

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

There is a significant difference between how the Shawshank Redemption handles it (and to be honest The Shawkshank Redemption playing into the 'evil rapist prisoners' stereotype has aged like poo poo) and doing it in a superhero movie.

Snyder did not put prison rape in a super hero movie, he used it in a interview as an example of a “dark” story you could do in a setting such as the Watchmen universe.

At a certain point you’re asking the guy to apologize for mentioning the fact that prison rape is a thing that exists in too flippant a manner

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Like ImpAtom, someone said they liked the Flash and you said “you mean the character played by a woman assaulter!?

What are you trying to accomplish here if not making people feel morally wrong for liking the wrong brand of super hero movies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

The issue isn't that he mentioned it as a thing, it is that he specifically said it would be something he would include in a 'dark' Batman movie.

I don’t think that’s an accurate assessment, he’s talking about the Watchmen setting to contrast Nolan’s movies. He’s also had the opportunity to make this movie and it doesn’t seem like a thing that will happen in the R rated ZSJL.

quote:

I'm not trying to accomplish anything? Like I don't have some Big End Goal Here. I just like discussing things. If I had one wish related to the Snyder Cut it would be to get Leto removed from the movie so I could watch it and not feel so crappy about it but that ain't happening on the SA forums so it's mostly discussion. if I let some of my anger at the Leto thing leak into other things I apologize for that, but it's a pretty sore spot for me.

Well then I apologize. I do think the Flash thing was a bit confrontational but in the end NBD

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well as someone pointed out after the initial video it just kinda went dead. Like no press release, no statement, just complete silence.

I mean I think it’s pretty clear cut he assaulted someone and would never try to speculate beyond that but that’s definitely been their strategy to just hope it goes away

Edit: regarding the Miller thing since a few posts passed by

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

Dehumanise yourself and face the snyderverse.

Snydercut Is

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Barreft posted:

I've just never seen such slavish loyalty to one person. The Snyder poo poo just reminds me of Trump/Elon/Roberts idol worship. Like I'm sure there's many out there defending Joss Whedon as well, which is just as weird.

e: like were this many fans licking Lucas's boots after Empire Strikes Back?

I’m not even sure if there’s a single poster on here who likes his entire filmography. Maybe teagone? I like 2 (hopefully soon to be 3!) of his movies.

I think it’s just a bias effect where we are in a thread(s) talking about a movie we are excited about? I honestly don’t think it’s anything more than that.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Glad I caught the bootlicker edit lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Firstborn posted:

Hahahaha. I recognize like two things from this. Is that Ultron and the Silver Samurai they put in The Wolverine?
This is gonna be good

lmao

I feel like I saw Shredder but then maybe there are two of them?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Finally, back on track!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Darko posted:

I liked the octopus playing the drums in Aquaman. Wish the movie had more of that.

The characters may not have been asking "where is the drum playing octopus" when it wasn't on screen, but I sure as hell was

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Still need to watch the panel from today, but I'm honestly a little disappointed by the news of the ending. I'd prefer if it came to some kind of concrete conclusion since I am extremely skeptical that we will ever get a follow up

Those images are cool as hell tho

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm pretty inoculated against silly comic bullshit but if anything the bigger issue with the Infinity Stones isn't the name(s) but the fact that they are all weird different things with different properties from movie to movie

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't particularly mind but with 3+ hours of new footage there's likely some surprises so I don't blame anyone who wants to go in fresh.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The weird part is that this person keeps saying "for those of you saying he is an alien, he was raised like a normal person in Kansas!" which, fair, but this is missing the point that even beyond his strange origins these are also strange circumstances.

Like "I know exactly how someone raised in Kansas would talk to a billionaire dressed like a bat whose car he just wrecked with his body, and this ain't it chief!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"Film twitter" having the exact same opinion as any random average person is actually a pretty good synopsis of the problems with "film twitter" (i.e. despite talking a big game, they aren't any more insightful or observant than anyone else)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They ordered that shorter version well before it was previewed I think

The way I understood they ordered it cut down on the strength of the advanced sales. So it wasn't a matter of "we love this so much" coming out of previews as much as it was "we can make more money if we cram in an extra showing". I don't think quality was ever an actual consideration.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah I see people arguing that the leak was actually WB intentionally trying to ruin Zach Snyder because... something something?

Yeah I do not get this at all either; best case sabotage scenario is that you...get fewer viewers watching your platform AND you look incompetent. Great plan you got there.

EDIT: yeah I guess best case scenario is that a bunch of people pirate the movie and then don't watch your platform and then you get to say "I told you so"?? Still seems like a roundabout way to hurt a guy working for you

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 9, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

I want to reitirate, they sent out a press release saying one of the people that Ray Fisher accused of misconduct, would work together with Mamoa, who worked with fisher on Justice League, on a film called Frosty the Snowman, to divert attention from Rays claims of misconduct.

This movie did not exist, it was made up wholesale, and they sent out that press release without mamoas permission.

https://popculture.com/celebrity/news/jason-momoa-calls-frosty-snowman-movie-report-fake-while-defending-justice-league-co-star/

Yeah true, I forgot about this, its a good reminder of the idiotic poo poo a suit will do to gently caress someone over

(see also: releasing Justice League 2017)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol blaming Snyder, classy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

https://twitter.com/AaronCouch/status/1370091942042865670
https://twitter.com/RICHARDLNEWBY/status/1370091474084315141
This quote is really not very clear at all! If that's the only source then this seems like some genuinely bad journalism. The quote could easily be read to mean that Iris's role had to be reduced in Snyder's original cut but the Whedon version was the one that removed her entirely.

Yah this poo poo is "well it's technically correct" nonsense. It would have been so easy to provide more detail in the actual article, or even leave the loving thing totally neutral (i.e. "Clemons was cut from the theatrical release") without specifically adding the intentionally misleading sentence about Snyder. It was a jab plain and simple.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KVeezy3 posted:

I don't even think it's technically correct - did Snyder even make a 2 hour in which this excision took place? It didn't seem that way to me from the recent Vanity Fair article.

I mean, let's just for the sake of argument assume that they can and have verified that that specific cut happened under Snyder's watch, and he begrudgingly cut it on his way to trying to reach the 2 hour goal, before giving up and leaving.

That's still a ton of context left off the table.

It would be like doing an article on the Snyder Cut and saying "Zack Snyder had previously decided to leave before finishing". Technically true but leaving out so much of the story, that it's effectively worthless pandering.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Martman posted:

Wait lol.
https://twitter.com/BatKilmer/status/1370831003875487746
It is possible Joe Manganiello did this, and it's also possible he made a Google mistake, but he is also actually a gamer.

Joe Manganiello literally* runs a massive ongoing celebrity D&D game where he reportedly has bins full of minis that he can pull out any possible creature from, so if someone's like "my Ranger's pet is a Dire Wolf/Blink Dog half-breed from the plains of Faerun" he could pull out the perfect mini for that. So while it was maybe just a googling mistake it's also fully possible he has read that specific fanfic.

*or else he has a very elaborate branding plan to make himself look like an even bigger nerd to appeal to a very narrow demographic

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea it’s an extremely low bar to clear. Josstice League is 1/3 over saturated footage from another director interspliced with 2/3rds footage filmed in a rush to build a different movie around that footage. There’s scenes that would look lovely for a tv show.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

smoobles posted:

How much of the 4-hour runtime is Martha Wayne's pearls flying thru the air in slow motion?

It's constantly superimposed over the rest of the film like Agent Cooper's face in the last half hour of Twin Peaks: The Return

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

But wasn't the word from the set that he himself HATED his part and personally asked for it to be cut?

lol what in the hell?

This might just be confused with his complaints against Whedon and the pandering poo poo he wanted to do (like insisting that he say "booyah") but even then I don't think he ever wanted his own stuff cut (even further than it already was).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I could believe that Snyder makes a really great comic film. What's especially hard to wrap my head around is that its the same movie as Justice League, just the Extended Edition with a few minutes here and there restored and maybe a bit of overdub, and somehow that transforms it from a downright stinker snoozefest into a really really solid superhero movie.

Well good news, the theatrical cut of Justice League was 2 hours and about 75% of that was Whedon reshoots, this new one is a full 4 hours. It's really not the same movie with a few extra minutes and redubs.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

You've stepped onto a bit of a battlefield here, Zaphod. A great war was fought so that people could post vaguely positively about Zack Snyder films, and those gains will be defended.

Also speaking of gains you must be willing to discuss your weight lifting routine and general training strategy to post in this thread

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think it's possible and even probable that Zaphod just came in here without knowing the history of this topic and how we had to argue with a bunch of more actively hostile people saying all of the poo poo we now know to be 100% true was even possible for the past several years

I think as a whole the thread tends to have a bit of a hair trigger but it's also hard to tell if its just because 10 people start replying at the same time and then it seems like we are dogpiling (also wonder if it has anything to do with the worldwide MS teams and office outage which is why I'm posting way more today lol)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea Flash/Flashpoint is a cluster right now. They just officially cast Iris (the woman who was already cast as Iris in Justice League but was cut but is now back in the Snyder cut) and they also cast Supergirl but they got rid of Ray because of his investigation. A year ago it seemed a smart bet that they were doing Flashpoint as a way to reboot some of the stuff that was obviously going to be going away (like Affleck as Batman or Meera leaving) and explain stuff like Joker and new Batman movie, but now all this poo poo seems on flux.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My official pre-Zack Snyder's Justice League DCEU rankings:

1) Man of Steel
2) Batman V Superman Ultimate
3) Aquaman
4) Birds of Prey
5) Wonder Woman
6) Suicide Squad
7) Wonder Woman 1984
8) Shazam!
9) Justice League

I don't actually dislike any of these except 9. I really hope Suicide Squad gets an Ayer cut. It's a mess but I really love individual scenes and beats and the production design.

1) BvS
2) Man of Steel
3) Wonder Woman
4) Shazam!
5) Aquaman
6) Birds of Prey
7) Suicide Squad
8) WW84
not even bothering to count JL'17 because bleh

And similarly up to item 7 I basically like all the movies, 3-6 in particular are pretty clustered together for me and the order could change depending on my mood that day. Suicide Squad is firmly below those because of studio fuckery but it's got enough of the interesting ideas left that I can put it on and be entertained. WW84 is once again well below SS and past the "this is bad" dividing line, and JL doesn't even register because of how bad that is. BvS being #1 is more about personal preference, I recognize MoS is a more solid film overall but holy moley does BvS get gonzo.

I honestly like Wonder Woman's entire first 2/3rds enough that the eventual shoddy ending doesn't tarnish it much for me. It maybe even does the ragtag camaraderie better than Captain America: First Avenger, the extended cast is amazing, etc. it just has a dumb end boss fight is the one super glaring flaw.

Shazam! similarly was a lot of fun despite some of the pandering. The family aspect is legit great and something that I think hasn't even been handled that well in any other super hero movie. I also if I'm being honest don't really agree with the oft repeated complaint about the Billies acting differently. The adult Billy acts a little more exasperated for a bunch of the run time mainly because he is immediately dealing with wilder stuff (first his transformation, then demonic bad guys showing up) but otherwise a lot of their mannerisms are traded pretty well IMO

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Glad to hear this is good, gotta wait 30 more hours for my own viewing (unless I am weak and sneak a peak during the work day lol)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rabelais D posted:

Is this a joke post?

lol almost certainly

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Holy hell they for real cut every POC character they possibly could from the theatrical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Alexander Hamilton posted:

It's so Bruce can foreshadow the "big gun" and have it be a Lois, which is a reverse of the joke from Age of Ultron when Iron Man refers to Veronica and it ends up being the Hulkbuster.

Holy frick good catch. Whedon really does consider AoU his masterpiece and is super salty it didn't change the course of cinematic history