Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I have a lot of fun IRL and prefer my cape movies to be brooding meditations where gods and demons punt each other through buildings :colbert:

Is that so much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

One of my favorite parts of Supermans first encounter with Batman in BvS he treats and looks at him like hes this pathetic weirdo he can barely stand to talk to and generally feels disgusted that he, a literal God on Earth, has to tell the weird vigilante to stop being a sadistic nut. Clarks facial expressions say it all.

"The Bat is dead, bury it."

I love that line because hes talking to Bruce and not Batman, he wont even give him the diginity of acknowledging Batman as Batman, he specifically is appealing to the weirdo under the mask, not the "symbol" as Batman tries to present the world.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Also its very hard to see but theres a ton of shots that they intentionally leave the curvature of the corners of the 35mm negatives in any shot theyre in.

Look at the top left and bottom left edges compared to the others. If you watch those corners throughout the trailer you'll notice the shift between shots where its present and where its not.

Theres something incredibly novel and cool about them leaving such an analogue image artifact in to shots with a heavy amount of digital effects.

Its like Fabian and Snyder didnt want to leave out a single millimeter of image from a single frame of their footage.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Ignoring the idea that Tony Stark isn't a power fantasy (lol), I think people get confused by this idea of Zack Snyder supporting the Great Man view of history because they don't really understand the nature of storytelling. A character like Superman would represent an unfathomable paradigm shift in how we understand humanity's place in the universe. Superman is basically that idea of a Great Man made manifest. He not only wields power beyond the ken of every single other person on Earth, but his very existence would inspire cults, devotion, and whatever else. The Great Man view of history supposed that individuals were the ones who affected the world via their superior intellect, strength, or whatever else. Now, we understand that this isn't true, and that much of history is dictated more by societal influences, and so on.

But our understanding of history has never dealt with someone who could fly over and melt the icecaps on a whim. It's never did with someone who can dictate to nations without fear of reprisal. It's never dealt with actual demigods. The thing I really appreciate about Snyder's superhero work is that he appears to understand that the sheer existence of 'the Superman' would be a radical event that would inspire awe across the whole world.

Exactly. I share this same sentiment and this is a fantastic write up.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

This is incredible and I say that as someone who genuinely thinks this Darkseid looks awesome.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

The Vanity Fair article says "He has reshot the ending with a hero cameo that will blow hardcore fans minds".

Curious if this is someone other than Martian Manhunter given his appearance is supposed to be earlier.

Perhaps Green Lantern? Might make sense given we see the ring fly away in the history lesson.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

If its Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern as rumored and theres not a solid explanation for why it will probably the first major creative decision Snyders made that has me truly scratching my head

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu

At this point Im pretty sure Ryan Reynolds is contractually obligated to do the Ryan Reynolds schtick in every major franchise Hollywood has to offer. No exceptions.

Cant wait to see him voice the T-Rex in Jurassic World 3

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zack was raised a Christian Scientist so it should surprise literally no one that hes often drawing from religious iconography.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

MacheteZombie posted:

Do we know what time the movie will actually drop on HBOMax?

2am EST. 11pm PST on the 17th.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

Was this confirmed? Because I would have thought it'd follow WW84 HBO Max release, dropping at like 11AM pacific the day of release.

I believe this time came from the Australian release time being confirmed and that itd be timed with the U.S. release but theres been no official announcement so who knows.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Violator posted:

A comic book movie can’t be profound?

Remember as Joel Schumacher wisely said, "they're comic books, not tragic books".

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It makes perfect sense they wouldn't be happy with it, since they weren't happy with the exact same thing in 2016. Since they're execs, they probably aren't happy with it because it doesn't look enough like Avengers Endgame, though

WB execs were blindsided by the critics reaction to BvS. They loved it and thought they had another Dark Knight in the bag. I even had a friend at the studio premiere who hates MoS tell me BvS was actually really good and he was surprised, standing ovation from the audience(typical of premieres though).

What WB execs are probably unhappy about right now is no matter how good they might think ZSJL is, they know Snyders vision will not make them the maximum profit possible. All they want is Marvel money and clout now and know Snyder cant deliver that. They tasted that 1bil with Aquman and WW, which makes it even more awkward because as long as they use those actors/characters, Snyder gets a credit and they can't ever fully escape his sphere.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Jupiter Ascending has it's supporters in CineD(I'm one of them), but god help you out in the real world if you ever say you like it. People get hostile about it, they loving hate Jupiter Ascending.

I love that god drat movie and have shown it to about 5 seperate people who also ended up loving it. Its got issues, mainly how they treat Mila Kunis but its a pulp 80s/90s scifi space opera novel brought to life in a way I have rarely seen in cinema and its insane it exists at all or that any studio gave anyone that much money to make an original IP like that.

I still think that Chicago aerial sequence is one of the most well staged abd choreographed action set pieces of the decade.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I liked Jupiter Ascending just fine. It had a big energy that I enjoyed. Also that sunset fight over Chicago was *nuts* from an aesthetic perspective.

Yup.

The way it so expertly geographically descends from the top of that skyscraper and epicly makes its way closer and closer to the streets, then under the water and back up and then crescendos and finishes with their feet finally touching ground is fantastic. Its so loving well done and its just pure The Matrix Wachowski genius on display.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 5, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I think a lot of the leak conspiracy stuff is just that, but at the same time this is an industry that bred *insert abusive power hungry and most likely racist sex pest here* so I dont put anything past studio execs and the poo poo theyll try for and because of money and power.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Holy loving poo poo this movies gunna rule

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

It's kind of refreshing to have a villain just be, "I want to rule everything, gently caress you."

Its very Morgoth/Sauron vibes and is totally in line with these intended to be more like LotR style epic myth/legends

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Patty might be busy with Star Wars and Cleopatra so might step away from Wonder Woman 3, but no way in hell would Zack want anyone other than a woman to direct it even if they tried to give it to him.

Also I think everyones overblowing the line from that article. I immediately understood it as just saying that ultimately that specific scene being cut was made by Snyder over others. Its an innocent creative decision. He could have cut others, but he chose that one. Sure, it was part of the overall cuts influenced by WBs 2 hour mandate, but the choice for that specific scene/character was still Snyders if Im reading right.

Are people even reacting negatively to the idea he cut it or insuating nefarious reasons? I understand Snyders image is constantly tarnished for no reason but this seems a bit hyper-defensive and reactionary fueled by twitter paranoia.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

I wish they would give a confirmation as to what time ZSJL will drop on HBO Max.

This countdown here is what will tell you. It looks like typical 3am morning of the 18th.

https://zacksnydersjusticeleague.dcuniverseinfinite.com/

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Grace is a typical youtube movie/popculture talking head moron that nobody should give any lip service to and I hate shes latched herself to Snyder and gotten so much access to him. Like cool great Im glad the fandom is strong but shes one of the more embarrassing elements of Snyders supporters.

Shes not as cringe as that loving rap video though jfc, but she has a nutty creepy vibe to her I cant stand along with the standard youtuber in front of a webcam talking about Hollywood as if they know literally anything about how the industry actually operates.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

[edit 2] Friendly reminder that according to Fabian Wagner (the film's DP) only ~10% of original footage that Snyder photographed was present in the theatrical cut, or roughly 24-30 minutes out of the current 4 hour runtime of ZSJL.

The 10% fact perfectly explains why Fabian said he cried at the premiere. The amount of hard work, long hours on exhausting days and the sheer mental fortitude it takes to organize and photograph a 4 hour highly stylized Hollywood tentpole only to see it tossed in the trash for someone elses lesser work(he did not do the reshoots) and then to have your name slapped on it anyways must feel like a knife in the heart.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Roth posted:

That was the story that really got me thinking that maybe there's more going on here than people like to believe.

Yup.

I dont think anyone really knew the scale of the changes until that video got posted.

Even Zack was being super coy and vague about how extensive the reshoots were simply because he hadnt even seen the Joss version.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I think even the most middle of the road or slightly negative reviews out so far make it clear that WBs decision will go down as historically misguided. Not a single one has said it is worse then Josstice League from what I've seen.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Lol just a read a review with a guy complaining that these heroes kill and how thats especially off brand for Wonder Woman.

As if I did not just watch WW and see her kill countless faceless young Germans and stab a man straight through the chest.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ultimately art is subjective and it truly only matters what a viewers personal feelings are towards a film, but looking at the RT score right now....

*clears throat*

We were right.

Absolutely monumentally happy for Zack, Deborah, Ray and everyone else whose hard work went into making this a reality.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/zack-snyders-justice-league-review-ben-affleck-gal-gadot-henry-cavill-1234928648/

"One of the rare great comic book movies"

:allears:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Violator posted:

I have to imagine if the numbers pan out as expected the offer will be on the table for more with all of this critical acclaim. I don't know if Snyder is ready to walk away from the bullshit but it's telling that he has a new story outline done already with Jim Lee's storyboards. Maybe he has more power now to better dictate his future? WB already lost Nolan so I would think they would want to hold onto people and do whatever they.

I also don't know if something could be worked out with Fisher. I have to imagine his acting capabilities are being vindicated and he can get work when Hollywood opens up, but he may be done with WB too.

I think the main issue is with how this movie ends, it contradicts some of their post-JL releases.

The big decision they have to make is where to go with Aquaman 2 and The Flash after this and whether they want to do Snyders thing on HBO Max exclusively or continue it theatrically. Since The Flash is a Flashpoint story, its exactly WHAT its resetting that is a huge choice for WB/DC to make. Will it revert whatever ending ZSJL ends at? Will it totally reset everything to pre-MoS so that they can start completely fresh? Does it split the timeline between Snyders epic LOTR vision and DCs lingering desire for Marvel money/clout?

WB/DC has to decide what they want these run of films to be and who they want to be as a studio. Do they want Disney money and a "consistent" canon/franchise that will fund them for a century or do they want something more of a shortened singular run of films with a definite end? The Snyderverse was never meant to continue on forever like the MCU. Do they want to forever live in the shadow of Marvel trying to be them or be their own thing with its own identity and own goals and its own fanbase?

I dont think Snyder is going to put himself through this process again unless he has strict control over his films, I think hes happy to let others make whatever they want to outside of HIS movies, but they also have to mostly make sense as one world.

Honestly I think most people, the ones that will make WB this coveted Marvel money, do not give a poo poo either way what or how this continues. What they want to see is Cavil, Momoa, Gadot and maybe now even Ezra and Ray. What they really did right was casting and that in the long run will be the glue that keeps the potential for Snyders vision somewhat intact.

Maybe they do some light reset with Flashpoint to veer from the now revealed plans for JL2 and JL3 and we get a somewhat reworked version, who knows at this point.

I personally just dont see what WB gains from further complicating the matter by veering from the original plan. I think their biggest financial successes with Aquaman and WW(and Joker in some light) were successful because of the foundation Snyder laid down, not in spite of it. Hell there was clearly a time gap between the big ending to this movie that was clearly put there to allow years of stories inbetween to unfold.

I think the successful formula is clearly in front of them now, let Snyder handle the epic JL movies and let other directors have whatever fun they want with the characters outside of that. I think Snyder has shown he was more than willing to roll with that plan and the critical reception to JL makes it even more apparent how WB shot themselves in the foot and theres no reason beyond greed and paranoia that this shouldnt have worked for them.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

BvS gets bad reviews

Snyders "cult": The reviews are rigged!

ZSJL gets great reviews

Snyders critics: The reviews are rigged!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Honestly if you picture this as a room full of people having a conversation thats been built over 4 years with an exhausting amount of detail and then some random guy youve never seen just bursts in like "can you guys believe this shits getting good reviews? I dont get it. Its some extended footage and that cyborg guy didnt even like it in the first place!", everyones reaction is appropriately toned IMO.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

This is bullshit though. Not everybody has been living Snyder interviews 24/7. All I know was he said that things got toxic with Whedon, that doesn't mean that the scenes that were cut were necessarily amazing. This is really bullshit dude, nothing I've said has given you a significant reason to assume this, you're just going full nuclear right out of the gates. Nothing about the quality of the Snyder scenes has to do with any of that.

Please forgive everyone for not taking kindly to what would have been a lovely way to enter any conversation about literally anything.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

teagone posted:

That interview where Zack called WB's bluff and put himself in a power position makes me think WB studio execs loving hate the idea of the Snyder Cut being successful tbh.

They must. It not only calls into question decisions made years ago, but now decisions going forward if anything they do doesnt hold muster critically and financially.

The worst case scenario in some manner for them was WW84 tanking and ZSJL being a hit because it somewhat shows the further you stray from Snyders vision the worse off the DCEU is in its current state. Like sure theyre still making money in the end so boohoo for the megacorp and their gargantuan IPs but they cannot ignore the fact that at its core, you cannot escape Snyders hold on the DC world he built and I think WB trying to have their cake with the actors/characters from Snyder but nothing else is just fundamentally a flawed creative and business decision.

Rewatching WW last night and SO much of what makes that movie good and the weight its story has and the commanding role Gadot as as Wonder Woman is directly related to what Snyder set before it with MoS and BvS. When someone like Patty Jenkins gets to play around in THAT world, you get a hit. Now WW84? Thats Patty playing in a "Josstice League we want to be Marvel" world and welp...yeah.

$1bil Aquaman couldnt be further from the tone of stuff like MoS and BvS but it still shares a core DNA with them and a character built from the ground up by Snyders vision and theres no mistaking that is part of their success.

Despite a single "misstep" with BvS, Snyder built them a pretty loving cool world to make movies in and theyre supreme morons for not embracing that while also letting Snyder make his LOTR with Capes films. They really dropped the ball and boy are they in a pickle.

And once again....this would have all been over by now had they just not freaked the gently caress out.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 15, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

:colbert: Sir or Madam you're going to have to explain yourself or leave

This is me.

"Misstep" in quotes for a reason.

I was there for the birth of this movement. The moment he revealed to the world his cut existed.

Where did you learn to Snyder? A FARM?!

(all in jest)

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 16, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

How come you never told us that Weird Al was your dad?

Weird Al is my defacto lazy Halloween outfit.

Shooting for Weird Als Aquaman for the first post-covid Halloween.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

So what was in those Superman themed cocktails?

Sugar and green food coloring.

The fajitas and tacos were surprisingly good though!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Looking at the poster I got from the BvS screening and to think about that little "214" easter egg on it and all the theories and doubts about what it meant and now we are here on the week of release with an even longer cut and positive reviews is just :dance:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

You're saying "challenging" but if the audience is confused then it isn't challenging, its confusing (or bad / contradictory / not well established like game of thrones last season).

Or it was cut from the theatrical release.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

We're talking about BvS here. JL I'm absolutely going to give a chance seeing the other cut. Or did BvS also get meddled with heavily?

...are you not aware theres a 3+ hour rated R directors cut of BvS called the Ultimate Edition?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Nope. Outside of the snyder-bros nobody talks about BvS anymore so I had no idea, haven't seen it advertised. I guess that figures though.

Ugh, I guess I gotta go watch it at some point now just so I can know for sure. This poo poo is a mess.

I mean Id argue youre pretty clearly in the dark with a lot of the conversation surrounding BvS so I wouldn't exactly say youre a good judge for who talks about it and who doesnt. Not that it really matters but its hardly some under the radar film. Half of the discourse around Snyder and DC has been 5 years of talking heads on youtube and twitter being zealots about the near religious sanctity of Superman and Batman and how Snyder dared make his heretical interpretations of them. Theres practically endless think pieces and vlogs praising and critiquing BvS out there.

Like...look where were are right now with this week lol

MoS and BvS Ultimate Edition are also two of the highest selling blurays of all time btw. MoS is in the top 25. These are popular and well liked movies whether you believe it or not.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 16, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I believe it, sorry I just haven't heard about it anywhere, even though I read a lot of movie sites. I didn't mean it as implying a conspiracy or anything, y'all are way too serious about this. I was just explaining why I didn't know about it, you're taking it the wrong way.

Didnt take it that way. Its just a bit shocking to people whove been immersed in the half decade of exhausting discourse surrounding Snyder and his DC films to see someone like you(a clear comic/movies fan) be so in the dark to the 5 year whirlwind that has brought us here.

For what its worth you have totally valid criticisms and Id be very curious to see if the Ultimate Edition of BvS solved any of your issues with the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Piell posted:

The Snyder cut didn't exist. Thats why they paid 70 million to make it

Well it exists now so may I ask who in the flying son of krypton gives a gently caress anymore.

This isnt even meant to be at you, just in general, that entire debate just seems utterly petty and unbelievably childish now that were here, majority positive reviews out and just awaiting official release.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 16, 2021