Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The mad man actually said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Superman wasn't even trying to fight back for most of the fight. He's just trying to get Batman's attention. A recurring theme of the movie is Superman not being able to get a word in because his mere presence makes people react in wild ways.

The coincidence of the mother's name isn't what stops Batman, it's the fact that he realized he became the very thing he was fighting against.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So basically your argument boils down to Batmna can kill Superman if Superman doesn't try to fight back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That always bothered me about Thor in the MCU. He's the closest thing to Superman in the MCU, he's no secret, and there are others like him openly walking around Earth by the time of Endgame, but at most people like to pose with him for selfies and he plays Fortnight (how funny and not self-serious!). They don't do anything interesting with the fact that god aliens live among them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tony Stark wanted to build a racist planetary border wall and was later vindicated and given sainthood.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Robot Style posted:

Has Marvel ever had Thor condemn the white supremacist groups that utilize Norse mythology like they did with the Punisher skull stuff?

Not to my knowledge.

And while they did do that with Punisher it was in the comics and the white supremacists who buy Trump Punisher skulls don't buy or read comics so it was ultimately a useless gesture.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My favorite WB schadenfreude is that they thought Joker was gonna bomb so through a business-y way basically sold the profit rights or something to investors and when the movie came out and ended up being the most successful DC film yet WB didn't get most of the profits.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I'm beginning to grapple with the fact that "you see more" is now being used against widescreen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

4:20
69fps

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Booster Gold going to the past to help prevent Darkseid from taking over Earth only to find out that the Justice League already saved the day.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My biggest idiot post in CineD was me saying that Detective Pikachu was going to do as well or better than Endgame, lmao.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ungulateman posted:

It's the same sort of rationale as "batman v superman has the two biggest superheroes ever in it, so it should make seven bajillion dollars", but applied to the Pokemon franchise.

By that logic, I can't wait for the Hello Kitty movie to break box office records.

Well, that was part of my logic at the time. Basically it boiled down to Pokemon having more worldwide appeal, not being the culmination of a decade of movies, and being the best selling franchise of all time.

It was silly to think it would do anywhere near as good as Endgame in hindsight, but I am still kinda baffled as to why it underperformed. I don't remember it bombing, but it should have done a lot better than it actually did. Real weird that there isn't a sequel or a spinoff in the works. I suppose it released too close to Endgame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He could pull off the Zuh-En-Arrh version from Grant Morrison's run.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Clickhole just hasn't been the same since another company bought it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Take anything from We Got This Covered with a grain of salt. They post so much unsourced clickbait.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Martman posted:

People say there's not enough color... hmmmm... red is a color, right?! Make everything red

This change at least seemed to have the basis of "make it like Final Crisis." Which isn't a bad idea on its own. Probably something Snyder thought about doing at one point. But definitely for later down the line with actual Darkseid. He'd also make it not look like rear end.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

WB is run by that guy from the comic that puts the stick in his own bike spokes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jupiter Ascending is dumb as hell and it rules. It has a bee man.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That image of Superman floating in the sky all straight was a beam raises the hairs on the back of my neck. It's such an arresting image.

Zod does it for a brief moment in MoS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

You know what I really appreciate about Lex's plan? It's not an underpants gnomes real estate scheme.

That would have been redundant. Zod was the one obsessed with real estate.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Roth posted:

Was Iris even in Josstice League?

No. Joss minimized the roles of POC in any way he could.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got my second dose of the Moderna vaccine and my two weeks will be up by this Friday so... Hmmm. I really could use a vacation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of the cooler aspects of when DC restructured their Multiverse for New 52 was just having one Apokalypse/Darkseid. This has probably recently changed since they reboot every 5-10 years. He basically invaded whatever planet in whatever universe he wanted. The Earth 2 comics dealt with the aftermath of Steppenwolf invading them and killing off thier Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman.

There can be hundreds many versions of Superman, and Batman, but there's only one Darkseid. :doom: (pretend that's Darkseid)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol at Whedon repeatedly referring to Diana as Natasha.

He was so close to getting his own Wonder Woman movie at one point and he can't even remember her name.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm forming an alliance. A Sense of Right Alliance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nobody had any opinion on Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah before the Watchmen movie came out, and then suddenly everyone turned into an expert on the song. That's just how much of a genius Zack Snyder is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nobody talks about that time that time RDJ and Elon Musk danced to Robot Rock in Iron Man 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I could believe that Snyder makes a really great comic film. What's especially hard to wrap my head around is that its the same movie as Justice League, just the Extended Edition with a few minutes here and there restored and maybe a bit of overdub, and somehow that transforms it from a downright stinker snoozefest into a really really solid superhero movie.

This is where you're misinformed. It's not that at all. The theatrical version is 2hoursv long and uses maybe 10-20 minutes of Snyder's original footage. Zack Snyder's Justice League, the movie being released on Thursday, is 4 hours and uses 0 minutes of Joss Whedon's reshoots. Both movies seem to use the same skeleton of a plot, but are entirely different in tone, has entirely different plot elements, character focus, and more. It's an unprecedented situation. This isn't a regular ol' director's cut.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think Shazam is exactly the movie it needed to be, but I can see how it wouldn't please everyone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ionic Man sounds like some Legion of Superheroes Member who had to go back in time to join the JSA.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would love to watch the streams but they don't work for me time wise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What can I say that hasn't already been said? Phenomenal.

I do love that Bruce's arc went from trying to murder an alien to having an alien show up at his door and being pretty jazzed to have a new friend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the MM parts were probably the worst parts of the movie. The effects were unconvincing and felt very last minute. Shame they couldn't get the originally planned John Stewart. I'm sure he would have been integrated more thoughtfully into the story if the was originally planned for it, especially being a founding JLA member.

But it's a pretty minor flaw overall.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Man when superman is just beating on steppenwolf at the end I felt really bad for the guy
It was simpsons make it stop level there

They do a great job with that. It made it really drat clear that Kryptonians were a credible threat that Darkseid would have avoided when necessary. They could have been a real boon as galactic peacekeepers had they not become eugenic isolationists.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

^^That's my take on it too. I just wish it didn't feel so cheap production wise. Affleck's reactions were very nonspecific.

The MM cameo is forgivable knowing that this is most likely his final DC movie. Like Superman, Snyder got a second chance.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Asteroid Alert posted:

Help! A friend is being made to watch this great film without having seen MOS or BvS or WW. How can we avert a catastrophe?

Would BvS be considered the minimum required viewing for this movie to work?

If they got the time, MoS and BvS Ultimate Edition. But if there's only room for one, BvS UE. Batman's will come through better having seen BvS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

Steppenwolf (the guy with the horns and the spiky armor) is the primary antagonist for most of the movie, but Steppenwolf is middle management. Steppenwolf serves Darkseid, who's basically the god of evil, and also there's an intermediary between them whose name sounds kind of similar (Desaad, the guy in the hood).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In the comics the Mother Boxes were basically smart phones decades before those were a thing and also they shot out boom tubes to anyplace in the universe centuries before that will be a thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Batman v Superman: Granny's Peach Tea

Zack Snyder's Justice League: Alfred Pennyworth's Tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glottis posted:

also am I allowed to say that I really like this cut, here? Might have just fit my mood but the whole thing actually felt... deliberate? Despite being way too long for a theatrical release? I actually want to see more of this world.

If you seek his Dome, look around you.