Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Oops, I meant I specifically haven't tried Mythic GME (Game Master Emulator) yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalimar
Mar 20, 2006

Mythic GME 2 -- It's the fundamentals of the "Barrow Delver" rules for Cairn. An aside "stability" factor conjoined with a Yes/No probability and a few thematic oracles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone, just a reminder: it's the last week to sign up for the main round of trad games secret santa!

There's lots of solo RPGs that cost $40 or less, so why not ask for a couple two three four of the ones you've been eyeing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

so I backed a kickstarter for a new solo rpg (tabletop/journaling) by the lady who did Apothecaria and... holy poo poo this is way more than I expected omg

"My original vision for this game was to create a 60 page Apothecaria style sci-fi adventure but as I worked on it, I ended up having bigger and better plans for it. I wanted to give you a sandbox that would let you be everything from a Star Trek style Explorer and Diplomat to a Firefly-esque Criminal or Passenger transport. A Smuggler or blue collar Cargo hauler. A Space Pirate, a Researcher, even a Bounty Hunter for the good or the bad (the ugly is optional).

As it sits just now, FSCSAW is 250 pages long but don't worry. The vast majority of the book is given over to reference tables that you only need to interact with when they're relevant. Some parts of the book are still in need of Layout, Art, and the whole book needs play testing which is something I would massively appreciate from you lovely lot. "

the beta is out for backers and I'm so ready

e: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondblood/for-small-creatures-such-as-we/description

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 20, 2023

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

StrixNebulosa posted:

so I backed a kickstarter for a new solo rpg (tabletop/journaling) by the lady who did Apothecaria and... holy poo poo this is way more than I expected omg

"My original vision for this game was to create a 60 page Apothecaria style sci-fi adventure but as I worked on it, I ended up having bigger and better plans for it. I wanted to give you a sandbox that would let you be everything from a Star Trek style Explorer and Diplomat to a Firefly-esque Criminal or Passenger transport. A Smuggler or blue collar Cargo hauler. A Space Pirate, a Researcher, even a Bounty Hunter for the good or the bad (the ugly is optional).

As it sits just now, FSCSAW is 250 pages long but don't worry. The vast majority of the book is given over to reference tables that you only need to interact with when they're relevant. Some parts of the book are still in need of Layout, Art, and the whole book needs play testing which is something I would massively appreciate from you lovely lot. "

e: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondblood/for-small-creatures-such-as-we/description

Doesn't seem like there's a way to get the PDF only, just the print & pdf? Am I missing something obvious? never mind. I was missing something obvious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I also just got my beta access unlocked and holy poo poo, I'm gonna be reading this for a while, yay

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://twitter.com/ShawnTomkin/status/1737625017595445665?s=20

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

StrixNebulosa posted:

And don't forget this is just the base game, she has several expansions already lined up for it.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Never heard of this rpg but I love the Wayfarer books that inspired it so instant preorder for me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"sail closer! I want to hit them with my sword"

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

excited! That's gonna be a buy

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

excited! That's gonna be a buy

It's included with Starforged, IIRC.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fat Samurai posted:

Only if you were a kickstarter backer. If not you'll have to purchase it.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
5 parsecs from home / modiphius is releasing a compendium combining all the expansions plus a modified Bug Hunt book to fit 5PFH. If you bought the past games you likely have a discount coupon from modiphius.

So if you hate flipping between pdfs or having a stack of books out, you'll be able to get it all in one spot!

link here

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
itch.io has a solo roleplaying bundle where proceeds go to charity. $10 min.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Picked this up the other day, it's got a lot I'm excited to check out. Any particular recommendations?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Captain_Person posted:

Picked this up the other day, it's got a lot I'm excited to check out. Any particular recommendations?

Project Ecco is cool as hell, you should play it!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Captain_Person posted:

Fox Curio's Floating Bookshop is quite good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shawn Tomkin is working on doing another print run of Starforged.

quote:

Ironsworn: Starforged second printing is on the way! If you missed out on the previous run of the rulebook, you can preorder now via my friends at Modiphius.

Shipping is expected in March for the UK/EU and April for North America.

US: https://modiphius.us/collections/ironsworn

UK: https://www.modiphius.net/collections/ironsworn

In March there is also planned to be a kickstarter for a print version (spiral bound like the Starforged reference book) of the Sundered Isles setting/expansion which is finishing up development work in the next month or so.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait. It is???

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait. It is???

It was a kickstarter stretch goal, so if you were a backer you'll get it (and can get access to the playtest material right now). If you were not a backer you will need to purchase it separately once it is available.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.patreon.com/posts/ancient-wonders-97329838

New expansion coming for Ironsworn: Starforged. This might motivate me to restart my campaign.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 15, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For a second I thought you meant Sundered Isles and got very confused at the imagery, but this is a fan/third party thing. Looks neat.

Shawn’s Sundered Isles is still on course for March digital debut afaik.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Ah, I didn't realize it was a third-party thing. I just saw the link on Facebook and assumed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No worries. There IS an official expansion coming, but its not that. :v: Said expansion also might not be compatible with your existing Starforged game since its basically a setting expansion lol.

(ignore the date, Shawn fell ill for a couple weeks and lost some time)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SimonChris posted:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ancient-wonders-97329838

New expansion coming for Ironsworn: Starforged. This might motivate me to restart my campaign.

hopefully this gets copyedited, because there are grammatical errors in virtually every paragraph. Painful to read. Looks cool, though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sharing from discord:

quote:

Shawn Tomkin — Today at 1:44 PM
---
Breaking out the dreaded @everyone to let folks know that the Sundered Isles Kickstarter prelaunch page is now live.

Sundered Isles is an expansion of swashbuckling, spooky, island-hopping adventures for Ironsworn: Starforged. The campaign will fund a 250+ page wirebound book and a deck of new character asset cards. The book is just about done and will be delivered to backers in PDF shortly after the campaign ends. Then, off to print!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shawntomkin/sundered-isles-expansion-for-ironsworn-starforged

-----

Note: I might have 2 or 3 selfish global pings over the next few weeks. If you prefer that Discord keeps these muted, just do the following!

1) Right click on this channel in the sidebar (on mobile, do a long tap on channel name)

2) Select notification settings

3) Select "nothing"

If, on the other hand, you want every announcement sent your way with the urgency they so richly deserve, select "All messages" in the notification settings.

Thanks as always for your support!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Double-heads-up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2117930/Drakkon_World_Builder/

Drakkon is on sale for 2.39 USD and I like what I see. It makes a little world, has built in oracles, dice-rollers, etc - it even has a 3D mode for walking around. Perfect for solo tabletop gaming at the computer.

Is there anything like this out there that's better / different? I'm suddenly hungry for more tools.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So I’m trying to determine whether Solo RPGs, as they exist currently, are a thing for me or not.

I’ve read a bit of the early discussions on what they are and who they’re for. Me, personally what I’m looking for is to basically be able to experience a typical RPG module by myself. Dungeon crawls, monsters, loot, leveling up, working towards some sort of narrative goal at the same time. (Ie reading the story beats as you explore in any module you might find out there) but just doing this alone as a single character with no GM.

Is this possible with any of the iterations of Solo RPGs available on the market? I’ve tried watching a number of YouTube videos of people “Solo RPG’ing” but it’s usually a couple hours of them stammering over a rough idea of who their character is, what they want to be and what the world is like that they randomly rolled up. Not here to yuck anyone’s yum but that’s fairly boring for me. I’m not the journaling type. If I wanted to develop a character like that I’d just write a book.

I guess what I’m asking is what, if any, is the best avenue to go with that will provide a crunchier game experience that gives me the feeling of developing a character through rules and not just what I can come up with in my head and a couple random dice rolls on a table.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
How much of the narrative are you interested in providing yourself? If you want something like a premade scenario or campaign to explore by yourself, I'm not sure solo RPGs will scratch that itch. The crunchiest one I can think of is Ironsworn and even that still requires you to bring a lot of narrative to the table.

Have you also looked into board games (like Gloomhaven) or classic gamebooks (like Fighting Fantasy)?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got in my physical copy of A Thousand Dead Worlds in and it's so pretty. Haven't had time to play it but I've heard good things.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

wizzardstaff posted:

How much of the narrative are you interested in providing yourself? If you want something like a premade scenario or campaign to explore by yourself, I'm not sure solo RPGs will scratch that itch. The crunchiest one I can think of is Ironsworn and even that still requires you to bring a lot of narrative to the table.

Have you also looked into board games (like Gloomhaven) or classic gamebooks (like Fighting Fantasy)?

I guess I would prefer a branching narrative that is provided by the book itself, but nowhere near as simple as a typical CYOA book. Something that requires skill checks, fighting things, etc. to facilitate rolling dice and the story changes based off of those results.

The board game route I already have covered so I was looking for something I could play that required a lot less components and setup time that could be similar to some extent.

Perhaps gamebooks are what I’m talking about. Are they discussed in this thread as well? If so, are there any major ones I should look into first? (Like the already mentioned Fighting Fantasy?)

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

StrixNebulosa posted:

Double-heads-up:

Drakkon is on sale for 2.39 USD and I like what I see. It makes a little world, has built in oracles, dice-rollers, etc - it even has a 3D mode for walking around. Perfect for solo tabletop gaming at the computer.

Is there anything like this out there that's better / different? I'm suddenly hungry for more tools.

Holy poo poo, getting that. Thanks for the heads up.

Edit:

Majin posted:

I guess I would prefer a branching narrative that is provided by the book itself, but nowhere near as simple as a typical CYOA book. Something that requires skill checks, fighting things, etc. to facilitate rolling dice and the story changes based off of those results.

The board game route I already have covered so I was looking for something I could play that required a lot less components and setup time that could be similar to some extent.

Perhaps gamebooks are what I’m talking about. Are they discussed in this thread as well? If so, are there any major ones I should look into first? (Like the already mentioned Fighting Fantasy?)

I'm not 100% sure if it's in a genre or type you're after but I am reasonably sure there are modules for solo RPGs out there.

Question: would an optional starting scenario with will laid out rules for how to play and skill checks; and then using a gamebook and roll tables to generate more stuff meet you halfway?

Depending on the genre you want to play in, those exist: (Sci Fi: 5 parsecs from home / fantasy: 5 leagues from the borderlands)
I could be wrong but I feel like stargrave has campaign modules like that also, but and this is a big BUT, you're eventually going to need to generate your plot as you go and consider what the rolls mean and how your characters will respond to it.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 1, 2024

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's more complicated gamebooks than the Choose your own adventure series.

Have a look at Fabled Lands - , it's an open world series of game books.

There's a free java version, and an official adaptation on steam, of you can get the dead trees from Amazon.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got in my physical copy of A Thousand Dead Worlds in and it's so pretty. Haven't had time to play it but I've heard good things.
Unlike Traveller (1977), you can't die in character creation.

The trip out to your first destination, on the other hand, jesus loving christ.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Double-heads-up:

that's cute as hell

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A lot of solo RPGs as we know them are, functionally, writing exercises with the mechanics of the system there to basically nudge you in different directions. Some are sufficiently robust enough that you could outright play them in a more conventional format, with multiple players and one taking the role of the GM, like Ironsworn/Starforged. But gamebook or CYOA style solo rpgs are uncommon, mostly due to the amount of work required to actually write them. They do exist, however. Speaking of which,

Angrymog posted:

There's more complicated gamebooks than the Choose your own adventure series.

Have a look at Fabled Lands - , it's an open world series of game books.

There's a free java version, and an official adaptation on steam, of you can get the dead trees from Amazon.

I think it's rather telling that the most convenient way to play the Fabled Lands series of gamebooks is to play their videogame ports.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Runa posted:

A lot of solo RPGs as we know them are, functionally, writing exercises with the mechanics of the system there to basically nudge you in different directions. Some are sufficiently robust enough that you could outright play them in a more conventional format, with multiple players and one taking the role of the GM, like Ironsworn/Starforged. But gamebook or CYOA style solo rpgs are uncommon, mostly due to the amount of work required to actually write them. They do exist, however. Speaking of which,

I think it's rather telling that the most convenient way to play the Fabled Lands series of gamebooks is to play their videogame ports.

To be fair, that's basically every gamebook ever.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Runa posted:

Did they ever get past book 3 for the official ports?

Also yeah more gamey games are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Did they ever get past book 3 for the official ports?

Also yeah more gamey games are great.

I was curious and looked around, for the steam version the base game has books 1, 2, 4, and 5, the latter two having been added across early access. There's a book 6 DLC that's already out and, judging by dev posts, the next DLC will cover both books 3 and 7 at the same time. Which makes sense, seeing as how the books cover adjacent regions.