Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Warning on Four Against: the creator will publish your stuff if you submit it, and one of the third party content creators definitely has a magical realm to show you. Bouchard, I think? A lot of it is fine and then you get big monster boobs, and monster milk, and monster cheese.

Well, figure you get monster cheese from monster milk and monster milk would obviously come from... you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There's Four against the Titans too, which also has an end game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Everyone posted:

Well, figure you get monster cheese from monster milk and monster milk would obviously come from... you get the idea.
yes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
dude wrote a class for it.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Recently started to play around a bit with Solo RPGs, so really enjoying reading through this thread. Started out with Ironforge and tried out a Thousand-Year-Old-Vampire based on the recommendation in this thread. TYOV was a really good experience, although I think I misunderstood the rules a bit. You can only check a skill once, right? What is supposed to happen if I have to check a skill, but none are available? I ended up having to stop a run fairly early on, because I had no skills and no items left.

As for Ironforge, that one is really fantastic and I'm definitely gonna pledge on getting something in the Kickstarter tomorrow. Really hoping that there'll be a tier to get everything physically.

What I was wondering is how you guys generally play these games? I've been using my tablet + pen to keep track of the character sheet, write down what events are going on, and using a simple PDF with random numbers to roll the dice. Been also experimenting a bit with using RPGMaker while playing IronForge to quickly draw out maps and set down tokens to indicate what the situation is, instead of writing everything down, as I noticed it slowed things down immensely. Also came across The Augur yesterday which I'm considering using to replace my regular game.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Baron von der Loon posted:

What I was wondering is how you guys generally play these games? I've been using my tablet + pen to keep track of the character sheet, write down what events are going on, and using a simple PDF with random numbers to roll the dice. Been also experimenting a bit with using RPGMaker while playing IronForge to quickly draw out maps and set down tokens to indicate what the situation is, instead of writing everything down, as I noticed it slowed things down immensely. Also came across The Augur yesterday which I'm considering using to replace my regular game.

For our Ironforge campaign we are using Roll20. The character sheets are amazing for the moves, progress bars, sites, etc.

My characters writes down everything in the bio section of the sheet and I share it with my buddy.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Selecta84 posted:

For our Ironforge campaign we are using Roll20. The character sheets are amazing for the moves, progress bars, sites, etc.

My characters writes down everything in the bio section of the sheet and I share it with my buddy.
I'll give it a try again. Tried Roll20 earlier on, but it didn't work really well with the touchscreen. Now that I'm playing more with a keyboard + mouse, I could give it a try again.

Does anyone know of a good digital alternative for Jenga towers? Not having to play the game specifically, but something that would provide the same type of results. I've been wanting to try out a couple of rulesets with them, but would really prefer to keep the gaming to a digital format.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'll give it a try again. Tried Roll20 earlier on, but it didn't work really well with the touchscreen. Now that I'm playing more with a keyboard + mouse, I could give it a try again.

Does anyone know of a good digital alternative for Jenga towers? Not having to play the game specifically, but something that would provide the same type of results. I've been wanting to try out a couple of rulesets with them, but would really prefer to keep the gaming to a digital format.

There might be Jenga in Tabletop simulator, and it does the physics.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm going to play a game of Four against the Titans to see how the campaign form of 4AD works out, because I've had a couple of ideas for 4AD hacks, but definitely need to play the game a bit more to get a feel for it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If I wanted to try and run myself solo through some old published D&D modules or some OSR stuff, what would be a good solo system to use for it? I've seen some recommendations for Scarlet Heroes but all the AP stuff I've found for it so far has been randomly generating a dungeon/adventure rather than adapting it for use with a published module so that hasn't given me a great idea of what that experience would actually be like.

I imagine there'd be a knack to reading enough of a room description to quickly flesh out a map but not read so much that you spoil the twists and traps in a room for yourself and colour your interactions with foreknowledge.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

You don’t carry polyhedral dice with you everywhere? :confused:

But seriously if you have an iOS device you can ask Siri to roll any dice you want. I would be surprised if Alexa doesn’t do that as well.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bought 4 against Ragnarök and look forward to it.

How long does a campaign usually take?

And any good, short and cheap (or free) journal solo rpgs you guys would recommend. I wanna try one of these and see if they are my cup of tea.

Lighthouse at the Edge of the Universe sounds nice and I'm waiting for it to go live at itch.io but maybe there is something small and light to try before that?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mode 7 posted:

If I wanted to try and run myself solo through some old published D&D modules or some OSR stuff, what would be a good solo system to use for it? I've seen some recommendations for Scarlet Heroes but all the AP stuff I've found for it so far has been randomly generating a dungeon/adventure rather than adapting it for use with a published module so that hasn't given me a great idea of what that experience would actually be like.

I imagine there'd be a knack to reading enough of a room description to quickly flesh out a map but not read so much that you spoil the twists and traps in a room for yourself and colour your interactions with foreknowledge.

I use Scarlet Heroes for the damage and Defy Death mechanics, and I do read the module first - maybe gamify a few bits (e.g. if it's an investigation I'll add a clue collecting mini-game rather than try to play unspoiled) or work out a flowchart through it, and use Mythic GME to take it off the rails handle NPC reactions and so on.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Looks like Wicked Ones just got solo rules. Author posted over on the solo RPG sub. Main game just went free too.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Looking into a (video) game called Hunt Showdown and I suddenly have a big urge to play a (Weird) Western setting using Ironsworn/Starforged.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Been having the urge for Ironsworn in any setting but its own for a long time now. I think I've seen assets that would work for you out in the wild from other folks seeking the same.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looking into a (video) game called Hunt Showdown and I suddenly have a big urge to play a (Weird) Western setting using Ironsworn/Starforged.
it's ok

you're allowed to call it big ironsworn

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ironsworn is weirdly easy to reskin for other settings, and the core book even has advice for how to do this. I’ve been playing an Ironsworn game in a science-fantasy setting for a while now on and off as part of a way to playtest ideas, and it turns out to be just as happy to be tweaked and molded as its PbtA genetics would suggest. If you’ve ever made a custom move for one of those games, you can do it for Ironsworn.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm unfortunately very not good at custom much of anything. Plus Starforged does exactly one of the things I'm interested in (Traveller without resorting to Zozer SOLO or another "turn it into a spreadsheet balancer like EVE without the interaction multiplayer brings"). So no rush here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Ironsworn: Starforged Kickstarter is now live.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I just went straight to the Deluxe pledge without reading much of the description. This looks really ace. Looking forward to reading through the preview edition.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I went ahead and backed this after the fun I had with Ironsworn over the weekend. There's also addons for discounted versions of the print Ironsworn materials.

When you back, you get access to the preview version of Starforged already, which as I skim through the materials seems fully playable already. There's some neat changes. One thing that stuck out to me is that you have three "Legacy tracks" now (bonds, quests, discoveries), instead of your epilogue just being limited to bonds. There's also a "Legacy" move instead of epilogue which allows you to generate a new character in the same setting with some carryover. There's also more stuff related to vehicles, particularly when it comes to assets, which makes sense in a game where there will be a lot of spaceship related stuff. And of course a whole boatload of new world generation prompts, oracle tables, etc. Also a lot more on generating an initial map with some known settlements and passages between them, which I might try to adapt for Ironsworn as well, because it seems like a useful centering tool.

It's very much primarily reskinned Ironsworn, but just from the preview edition, I feel like there's enough new meat on the bone here to make it worthwhile if you like the system. Especially for $20 for the PDF edition if that's all you want. There's even a $10 financial hardship tier.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 27, 2021

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Already backed for me. Is there a list of changes compared to regular Ironsworn for those already familiar with the system? I'm already digging the legacy tracks and xp changes and want to see this stuff back ported to Ironsworn.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cocks Cable posted:

Already backed for me. Is there a list of changes compared to regular Ironsworn for those already familiar with the system? I'm already digging the legacy tracks and xp changes and want to see this stuff back ported to Ironsworn.

Off the top of my head:

* Combat now has its own variants on Secure an Advantage and Face Danger called Gain Ground and React Under Fire. Gain Ground even allows the option of marking progress on combat without (in)directly attacking your foe.
* This is because Combat is now Objective Focused instead of centered on defeating enemies (though defeating enemies can be an objective!) OFC this makes escaping a fight a bit more difficult as Escape should probably itself be considered an objective. You're supposed to set the objective's rank accordingly though. Escaping from a Star Destroyer and its TIES in your YT-1300? Dangerous. Destroying a Star Destroyer in your YT-1300? Epic or Extreme.
* a single move option vs Undertake a Journey (now called "Undertake an Expedition) called "Set a Course" for travelling to places when you have good information on the route to be travelled but the path or the destination still might be dangerous.
* Undertake an Expedition is not only for exploratory journeys, but also used for Starforged's equivalent of Ironsworn's Delve expansion.
* Minor wording changes to things like Initiative (now "In Control" vs "In a Bad Spot") and how momentum burning/reset works that hopefully are less confusing.
* Bonds system changed quite a bit. People now start as Contacts and you make progress towards your relationship before you try to forge a bond. Contacts are about as strong as Ironsworn Bonds while Starforged Bonds have more benefit and let you mark XP on your Bonds Legacy Track.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The campaign ends the day after my payday. I suppose I should go back and see what I just backed at some point.

It's a little disappointing that the Ironsworn cards are only available via DTRPG POD, but I couldn't really expect a print run. The note attached to those is not loving kidding about what they charge to ship cards outside the US, and it's the only place they print them. Brexit has probably made this even worse.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 27, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Off the top of my head:

* Combat now has its own variants on Secure an Advantage and Face Danger called Gain Ground and React Under Fire. Gain Ground even allows the option of marking progress on combat without (in)directly attacking your foe.
* This is because Combat is now Objective Focused instead of centered on defeating enemies (though defeating enemies can be an objective!) OFC this makes escaping a fight a bit more difficult as Escape should probably itself be considered an objective. You're supposed to set the objective's rank accordingly though. Escaping from a Star Destroyer and its TIES in your YT-1300? Dangerous. Destroying a Star Destroyer in your YT-1300? Epic or Extreme.
* a single move option vs Undertake a Journey (now called "Undertake an Expedition) called "Set a Course" for travelling to places when you have good information on the route to be travelled but the path or the destination still might be dangerous.
* Undertake an Expedition is not only for exploratory journeys, but also used for Starforged's equivalent of Ironsworn's Delve expansion.
* Minor wording changes to things like Initiative (now "In Control" vs "In a Bad Spot") and how momentum burning/reset works that hopefully are less confusing.
* Bonds system changed quite a bit. People now start as Contacts and you make progress towards your relationship before you try to forge a bond. Contacts are about as strong as Ironsworn Bonds while Starforged Bonds have more benefit and let you mark XP on your Bonds Legacy Track.

Reading through the preview materials, these all seem like good changes and I may try to backfill them into Ironsworn.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Hopefully this isn't sacrilege to ask here, but how is the 'Forge coop and guided play? I like the idea of a more free form group game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Basically the same as solo except you and your friend(s) discuss/interpret the rolls from The Oracle and other results together.

When I get home in about an hour I’ll dig up a podcast style thing of the author Shawn playing a session together with his (adult) son.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ape!!! posted:

Hopefully this isn't sacrilege to ask here, but how is the 'Forge coop and guided play? I like the idea of a more free form group game.

My experiences with two-player coop have been universally excellent. It is something you’ll want to do with a person / people you really are on the same creative wavelength with, and especially in the case of two-player, someone you get along with easily and comfortably: two-player gaming is often intense, but quite rewarding. Ironsworn hit the spot for my group because it has enough mechanical heft to get your teeth into it, while foisting GMing duties off on the weird invisible ghost the game created out of our brains and a set of random tables.

I’m currently trying to arrange for a three-player guided co-op Ironsworn game, so if our third player ever gets a break from his nightmarish work schedule, I’ll let you know how that mode goes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

When I get home in about an hour I’ll dig up a podcast style thing of the author Shawn playing a session together with his (adult) son.

https://www.podbean.com/pu/pbblog-turs7-61c39f

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

Thanks! I'll listen tomorrow.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

ape!!! posted:

My buddy and I are having a blast with coop Ironsworn. We have been gaming together for 20 years now so we have good chemistry and know which ideas and oracle interpretations will work.

The way our story unfolds so far feels pretty natural and the oracle has an eerie ability to keep the story cohesive, yet surprising.

Right now we are trying to help some bandits to get their city back and we are embarking on a bunch of side quests to gather support, equipment and weaken the city.

Gonna try to implement the new objectiv based combat from Starforged for the climactic final battle.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Starforged shipping to the UK is harsh :(

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Angrymog posted:

Starforged shipping to the UK is harsh :(

Brexit mate. I'm going in for the pdfs. I don't have storage for many physical books any more.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Grey Hunter posted:

Brexit mate. I'm going in for the pdfs. I don't have storage for many physical books any more.

Be nice if they did a tier like Sine Nomine does where you get the POD version at cost, so you can get shipping via DriveThru.

I find I'm much less likely to play games I only own as a PDF for some reason.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Angrymog posted:

Be nice if they did a tier like Sine Nomine does where you get the POD version at cost, so you can get shipping via DriveThru.

I find I'm much less likely to play games I only own as a PDF for some reason.

I only game online, so I'm alwayts at my computer, so PDF's are easier to search. it's all personal.

But yeah, a POD would make sense. Options are always good.

Is it bad I'm wondering about doing a CYOA style runthrough once I've read the book? Ironsworn looked good, but Sci-fi is more my jam.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone played English Eerie? Sounds interesting

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Grey Hunter posted:

Is it bad I'm wondering about doing a CYOA style runthrough once I've read the book? Ironsworn looked good, but Sci-fi is more my jam.

Nah, I think it would work well for a CYOA game

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Hey question. Either here on the forum or on Discord or just literally anywhere we can do it over text, would someone be willing to run a game of Ironsworn for me, one-on-one? I've been dying to learn it but the rulebook is daunting and I learn best through playing anyway. I could maybe bust out the quick-start if nobody's up for it, but I'd really like to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I could give it a go, but it would be a learning experience for me too