Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This franchise took a delightfully cringey-but-earnest turn when the author came out as a non-binary trans woman. Not the Chuck Tingle of solo RPGs, but… huh, hey, someone should get Chuck into solo.

Unfortunately her PDFs tend to be hundreds of megabytes because no-one's taught her to optimise them, but they were a nice change from 4 Against Darkness.

Pounded in the Butt by my Solo RPG System.

e: Whoa, what a snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doctor Zero posted:

Pounded in the Butt by my Solo RPG System.

e: Whoa, what a snipe!

Grats on the new thread title :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I mean, it'd be a pretty good one, and it's not like we're ABOVE sex jokes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
no, butt

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there any good non-journaling solo RPG that can do post apocalyptic or Stalker/roadside picnic style game with an emphasis on survival and scavenging? Had some ideas for a stalker style game bouncing around in my head.

I was thinking of using starforged for it, but part of me wants something a bit crunchier with a bit of a focus on inventory and equipment management/preparation.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It’s scifi-cowboyish instead of post apocalyptic but maybe Dead Belt. It’s life out on the edge of space scavenging and scrapping enough to keep you and your ship going, and maybe you’ll turn a profit one of these days. No journaling involved: you use a deck of cards to lay out a random scrapped spaceship and a d6 to work through it.

I played a few games after getting it through the kickstarter (digital version). It’s quite well put together and the play is a good balance of survival and push your luck type play: You can balance your requirements carefully, get a little and get out and try to make this dangerous occupation safe, or you can throw caution to the wind because there’s just gotta be a big score in the next room.

My biggest criticism would be the text flavouring - not specifically the flavour text but just the way the whole thing is written in that weird space cowboy “well howdy thar lil pardner, whatsay we go steal some supplies from that thar space doohickey? And be careful, donchaknow it’s a spacedog eat spacedog world out here?” but I found it tolerable.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Leperflesh posted:

Also, can we feature any goon-made games? If you've published or shared a solo RPG, please let Skye know so we can link it.

I made Sweaters By Hedgehog because of a joke somebody on SA made about indie games all being obnoxiously twee or obnoxiously ultraviolent for a while: https://hauntedoak.itch.io/sweaters-by-hedgehog

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

I haven’t yet made the ultraviolent flip side to it yet, where you play as SCUMFUCK the Barbarian: Cursed with immortality and just trying to find the right magical sword that will let him kill himself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh man I should find my folder for that. I had figured out how to draw a sweater on a bat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still need to finish a playable prototype You May Cry If You Wish, my joke-turned-not-joke bad solo journaling game about playing bad solo journaling games.

Also my serious one, A Bloodstained Note.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

girl dick energy posted:

I still need to finish a playable prototype You May Cry If You Wish, my joke-turned-not-joke bad solo journaling game about playing bad solo journaling games.

Also my serious one, A Bloodstained Note.
I feel like those titles are completely interchangeable for both projects.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Actually, 'you may cry if you wish' WOULD be a hard as gently caress line in a horror game...

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ShutteredIn posted:

I haven’t yet made the ultraviolent flip side to it yet, where you play as SCUMFUCK the Barbarian: Cursed with immortality and just trying to find the right magical sword that will let him kill himself.

enjoying the ultraviolence here

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Whoever it was that was looking for a solo RPG system that would be like playing a D&D campaign by themself, I thought of you when Facebook served me up an ad for this kickstarter. Looks like a 5E-compatible Choose Your Own Adventure book directly descended from classic gamebooks. I've never heard of the publisher Archmage Press and they appear to have zero web presence outside of a very enthusiastic Facebook page, but there is full adventure available for preview here:

https://kickstarter.archmagepress.com/thankyou/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archmagepress/domain-of-the-deathless-king

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

ShutteredIn posted:

You mean Sweaters for Hedgehog isn’t both twee and ultraviolent? :mad:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

You mean Sweaters for Hedgehog isn’t both twee and ultraviolent? :mad:

In a shocking twist SCUMFUCK the Barbarian is a hedgehog…

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Please make the GG Allin barbarian game.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Sweaters For Scumfuck, featuring a d666 table of critical hit effects for knitting needles

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there any good non-journaling solo RPG that can do post apocalyptic or Stalker/roadside picnic style game with an emphasis on survival and scavenging? Had some ideas for a stalker style game bouncing around in my head.

I was thinking of using starforged for it, but part of me wants something a bit crunchier with a bit of a focus on inventory and equipment management/preparation.

I haven't played it yet, but I got this in one of the various megabundles that were up on Itch.

https://sleepysasquatch.itch.io/courier

quote:

Courier is a solo-RPG where you take control of a Courier—someone who travels the Wasteland delivering and trading cargo in exchange for REP, the currency of this post-apocalyptic future. As you explore the world around you, locations and factions are revealed and recorded on your map. Choose to take jobs for factions and build reputation to access new benefits all while becoming better at your job and earning new character perks.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Zona Alfa is a skirmish wargame which fits the theme of what you want. Tack on the Kontraband expansion and you'll probably have all you'll need.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Antifreeze Head posted:

Zona Alfa is a skirmish wargame which fits the theme of what you want. Tack on the Kontraband expansion and you'll probably have all you'll need.

I fully agree with this statement. There is also a starter campaign called Hunter-Hunted which is Pay What You Want on WargameVault.

https://www.wargamevault.com/product/376977/HunterHunted--A-campaign-for-Zona-AlfaKontraband?manufacturers_id=14978

I've heard good things about Courier, but I haven't played it either. Also it's on sale right now evidently.

I have been following the dev blog where he talks about changes that he is working with for version 2.0. That version will be called Courier-Repacked.

Here is some of the dev blog: https://sleepysasquatch.itch.io/courier/devlog/656723/factions-tensions-and-the-wasteland

SkyeAuroline posted:

All right, it's been... three years, wow, since the OP was made and last edited. I haven't kept up terribly close with new releases outside of the Ironsworn ecosystem; what games do people think need a spot in the OP as recommendations? I know Wicked Ones is no longer available through DTRPG and I need to update that link, and the Sundered Isles standalone kickstarter just launched recently, but open to any other suggestions too.

Just in case it get's lost, here were my suggestions for solo games that were more games than journaling prompts.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's a kickstarter for some mix of DnD and choose your own adventure that you can play solo that has a free sample if you give them your email. That might be crunchy enough and non journaling.

https://kickstarter.archmagepress.com/dndshorts/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Antifreeze Head posted:

Would you also want the free PDF about solo/co-op rules, or does Kontraband supersede that?

https://www.ospreypublishing.com/us/osprey-blog/2020/zona-alfa-salvage-and-survival-in-the-exclusion-zone-solo-and-cooperative-rules/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zone Alfa seems kinda interesting, very 5 X from the Y, but its also basically a wargame and judging by some admittedly brief research, basically focused entirely on group-based combat. Not what I'm looking for at all in this instance (even if I do like 5 X from Y style solo wargames for other things). I'm looking for something focused on a singular player character where combat is just one aspect, and definitely not something played with miniatures and a map. Courier looks a bit closer to what I want, I'll have to give it a read since I do have it from one of those bundles. Though a skim of the stuff on the itch page makes it feel like its aiming to be Not Fallout and thats not really the style I'm after.

Honestly, what I want and am after is so vaguely defined in my head I don't really know what I want. Basically Ironsworn/Starforged story/narrative heavy RPG, but with a bit of a more detailed approach to gear and equipment and survival aspects. I guess maybe I'm just looking for things I could attempt to try to jury-rig onto Starforged for more detail in those areas? I dunno! I should maybe just look at non-solo games. I was thinking of checking out Other Dust since Sine Nomine's stuff is always good as Sandbox tools if nothing else, and saw Tiny Wastelands mentioned a few times.

Thank you for trying though!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Air Skwirl posted:

There's a kickstarter for some mix of DnD and choose your own adventure that you can play solo that has a free sample if you give them your email. That might be crunchy enough and non journaling.

https://kickstarter.archmagepress.com/dndshorts/

Thanks! This is pretty neat. The NPCs are pretty cool and the way you track them seems streamlined. The rest of the writing is very … Generic Fantasy … but it looks like it has heart.

Stuff like this makes me want to make my own, but :effort:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm interested in a specific type of solo-first RPG. Here are the ones I've found so far:

Four Against Darkness
D100 Dungeon
2d6 Dungeon
Micro Chapbook RPG
NoteQuest
Twelve Years (which includes hex crawling as well)
Ker Nethalas
Dungeon Blitz Books (these seem to be one-off adventures, but they fit the criteria otherwise)
Beneath the Dungeon Floor!
Dark Fort
Basilisk

As far as I can tell, in all of these you roll dice to decide outcomes (stats, gear, dungeon rooms, enemies, combat, loot, etc.) and don't make any broad decisions yourself. The game doesn't rely on narrative or role playing, except to decide which room to enter next or whether you'll attempt e.g. to pick a lock.

They're also all dungeon crawls.

Does anyone know of any other games that fit this description, but that aren't full boxed board games?

ahobday fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 27, 2024

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ker Nethalas?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm watching a play-through on YouTube and you're right, I think this fits. I've come across it before, but for some reason didn't make a note of it. Maybe the horror/survival theme turned me away the first time.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I found a solo game that I like, called Entity. It is a scifi alien world exploration game where you play a far future synthetic astronaut. Also it's only $5 on drivethru rpg.

My review and narrative fiction of the gameplay is here:
https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2024/04/entity-after-action-report-and-review.html

Edit: Curiously enough, Candlenaut, the author of Entity, just published a cyberpunk solo game called Kuroi yesterday. I have yet to purchase and play it.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/475488/kuroi

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 2, 2024

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Less than 48 hours left on the Kickstarter for the Sundered Isles expansion to Shawn Tomkin's Ironsworn: Starforged. Backers of the original SF Kickstarter will already get a PDF copy, but this is also for print versions (and is now being broken up into two spiral bound books, because the original ~60pg plan has grown to almost 300 pages because shawn cannot help himself lol).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shawntomkin/sundered-isles-expansion-for-ironsworn-starforged?ref=checkout_rewards_page

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I found a solo game that I like, called Entity. It is a scifi alien world exploration game where you play a far future synthetic astronaut. Also it's only $5 on drivethru rpg.

My review and narrative fiction of the gameplay is here:
https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2024/04/entity-after-action-report-and-review.html

Edit: Curiously enough, Candlenaut, the author of Entity, just published a cyberpunk solo game called Kuroi yesterday. I have yet to purchase and play it.

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/475488/kuroi

The title looks like it says “Kuro” and not Kuroi. That’s going to be a problem for people searching for it. Ironically they could have called it “Kuro” and it would still have the same meaning.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

ahobday posted:

I'm interested in a specific type of solo-first RPG. Here are the ones I've found so far:

Four Against Darkness
D100 Dungeon
2d6 Dungeon
Micro Chapbook RPG
NoteQuest
Twelve Years (which includes hex crawling as well)
Ker Nethalas
Dungeon Blitz Books (these seem to be one-off adventures, but they fit the criteria otherwise)
Beneath the Dungeon Floor!
Dark Fort
Basilisk

As far as I can tell, in all of these you roll dice to decide outcomes (stats, gear, dungeon rooms, enemies, combat, loot, etc.) and don't make any broad decisions yourself. The game doesn't rely on narrative or role playing, except to decide which room to enter next or whether you'll attempt e.g. to pick a lock.

They're also all dungeon crawls.

Does anyone know of any other games that fit this description, but that aren't full boxed board games?

One deck dungeon: I know you said no “full boxed board game” which it is, but it’s also available in app form (iOS, android, pc) and as free print-and-play.

I haven’t done pnp as I bought the box (and the app before that) so I can’t comment on it specifically - fair warning it takes a lot of dice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a buncha books at PAX East:

Anyone have any suggestions similar to these or Ironsworn: Starforged or Across A Thousand Dead Worlds?

I know I can get Miru 2 but i want MORE

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I bought a buncha books at PAX East:

Anyone have any suggestions similar to these or Ironsworn: Starforged or Across A Thousand Dead Worlds?

I know I can get Miru 2 but i want MORE

Take a peek at 'Scraps' maybe?

https://capacle.itch.io/scraps

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I like Stoneburner but I haven't finished reading it yet.

Similar to Stoneburner (in that it's inspired by Dwarf Fortress) is Mountain Home

https://turtlehat.itch.io/mountain-home

I've seen it for sale for $15, once.

Edit: Also there is Ker Nethalas, like Across a Thousand Dead Worlds, and also by Blackoath gaming.

https://blackoath.itch.io/ker-nethalas-into-the-midnight-throne

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really like print options, but, I'll consider the pdfs...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I really like print options, but, I'll consider the pdfs...

I've had great success with the lifehack of 'use the printer at work'

Though I am considering buying the physical edition of Thousand Year Old Vampire because it's just so fuckin beautiful.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I've had great success with the lifehack of 'use the printer at work'

Though I am considering buying the physical edition of Thousand Year Old Vampire because it's just so fuckin beautiful.

I saw that one in person and debated it, it was outside of my budget at $47. very nice book tho, I was less interested in Journaling vs dice chucking

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m still on the fence about the TYOV print version too, man. So tempting.

Maybe if I’m a really good boy and don’t buy any more Steam games this weekend…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

DRINK ME posted:

One deck dungeon: I know you said no “full boxed board game” which it is, but it’s also available in app form (iOS, android, pc) and as free print-and-play.

I haven’t done pnp as I bought the box (and the app before that) so I can’t comment on it specifically - fair warning it takes a lot of dice.

One Deck Dungeon and Tiny Epic Dungeons were what got me into the idea of solo dungeon-crawling in the first place.

I've played it a few times. It's an interesting approach, since a lot of the player choice comes down to where you put dice on the encounter cards so you can manage your resources well. A slightly different spin on the concept.