Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish I liked ODD or ODG but they're so unfun lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I very enthusiastically picked up one deck dungeon as a physical rogue like, but man, is it an unfun experience. My kid was three though and she got to flip the cards over (knocking on the door graphic first), so it got a fair amount of play.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Maybe it’s just me that likes ODD, I’ve played a fair bit of it grinding up characters to eke out wins. It can be a bitch at times but I really like it.

Unrelated to that, this came through in a Backerkit email today, it’s on the expensive side for a solo rpg but looks slick. Maybe getting the digital version but still thinking it through.
Astroprisma
Astroprisma is a solo sci-fi rpg about space exploration and faction conflict set in a retrofuturistic universe.
The player’s goal is to explore the entirety of the Star System Map, a 36-tile hexcrawl in the shape of a star system.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks fantastic, thanks for the link!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've started to design my own solo pen-and-paper dungeon crawlers (e.g. Four Against Darkness, D100 Dungeon, 2D6 Dungeon).

I plan for them to be free. I post them on itch.io, but is there some other way I should promote them?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got the Backerkit survey for Sundered Isles and immediately got the pdfs.

My man Shawn ain't fuckin' around.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glad to see more people about to dig into Sundered Isles. Now that its in (mostly) complete shape, I think I'll finally get back into playing it more regularly. I had poked at it a few times over the last half-year and basically completed a couple dangerous vows that essentially made a "prologue" of sorts as I worked my way towards obtaining a ship in the narrative and purchasing the Flagship asset. I have however, poked at making a few supplemental things such as pouring over old ship draughts and creating a design for my ship based on a ~1720 Establishment British 20-gun 5th-rate frigate.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 24, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love that and I'm a huge Age of Sail nerd. I'm digging into this tonight whee

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I've posted this in Trad Games chat but I figured people here would benefit from it as well.

If you ever wanted a small continent to be generated with towns, inns, NPCs, factions, dungeons and more with OSR statistics, try the FREE generator Hexroll, 2nd edition. I am very impressed.

https://hexroll.app/

Everything is hyperlinked so you can explore relationships between things.

For example I examined the town of Millrock and looked at a Baker there, expecting baked goods. Evidently the Baker Aurelianus is a member of the faction The Dark Wyverns, a syndicate conspiring to collect protection money for an unknown purpose based in a different town. Also Aurelianus has received a mysterious box and is afraid to open it. Could the box be from The Dark Wyverns ordering the Baker to do something nefarious and the Baker wants out of the organization? Instant plot hooks.

It also describes dungeons, area by area. This is a dungeon adjacent to Millrock called The Temple of Infernal Pits. Random encounters include rats and harpies.

In addition, the generator was made so that NPCs generate quests (find a missing person, or find my armor/weapon) and those quest persons/items are integrated into dungeon sites. Here is an example:

Hexroll also claims to have a VTT integrated into it's dungeon map.

I can see this being very useful for Solo roleplaying.

Also there is the possiblity of modding this program. Guidebook is here: https://docs.hexroll.app/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

HopperUK posted:

I love that and I'm a huge Age of Sail nerd. I'm digging into this tonight whee

Thanks. It was fun and educational to poke through old draughts and do some research on various things. I learned what a “light room” is,for example, and other various fine details about ship design and life/working on a ship. Even more fun was realizing just how much stuff I already knew thanks to reading Aubrey/Maturin series books. :v:

Though ofc like every other time I post that image, looking over it again a bit later I immediately spot obvious errors I somehow missed earlier…

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Anyone else who got the 5 parsecs from home compendium and bug hunt pdfs, they should be sending you an email for a download of the compendium with the expansion packs included. Still no word about physical copies.

Also:
Is there a solo rpg with big naval battles? Can be sci fi, realistic, or fantasy battles.
Edit: saw sundered isles, lol. I'm thinking less individual ship control more big battles.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

chainchompz posted:

Anyone else who got the 5 parsecs from home compendium and bug hunt pdfs, they should be sending you an email for a download of the compendium with the expansion packs included. Still no word about physical copies.

Weren't these supposed to be sent out in March? I found the book+shipping costs to be pretty high, and then they can't even get it out within a month of their scheduled date? I sure do get at least two marketing emails from them a week, but nothing on the things I've actually purchased.
It's a bad look.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Beast Pussy posted:

Weren't these supposed to be sent out in March? I found the book+shipping costs to be pretty high, and then they can't even get it out within a month of their scheduled date? I sure do get at least two marketing emails from them a week, but nothing on the things I've actually purchased.
It's a bad look.

Yeah I'm getting a ton of ads from them as well. Still awaiting my dang physical copy.
At this rate I'm tempted to go through the trouble to print the friggin pdfs to have a physical copy.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Beast Pussy posted:

It's a bad look.

I thought the shipping window for it was always early May for Bug Hunt and early June for County Road Z

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Cthulu Carl posted:

I thought the shipping window for it was always early May for Bug Hunt and early June for County Road Z

So I just double-checked, and the website said April 2024 initially, but I got an innocuously titled (VIA Modiphius Winter Collection Update) email a couple of weeks ago saying it was delayed. I retract my statements on both fronts.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The other important thing to note with Modiphius: if the shipping is extreme, you're not on the right site.

When I ordered Captain's Log, the shipping was like the same amount as the price of the loving book, and then I noticed the big red banner about the US store. Turns out that modiphius.net is like the UK site and to get US shipping, you have to go to modiphius.us

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Well, that's a huge disappointment. I would've saved about $20 on that. But I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a red banner at the top of the page

but it's easy to miss that since it's also showing you USD prices, and I guess that's because stock may be different between the two sites and some folks might want to buy something from the UK store that's out of stock in the US.

Really they should merge the stores and just show you where things are in stock and what the shipping cost would be, while you shop. Plenty of super old webstores have been able to do that for decades now.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Leperflesh posted:

There's a red banner at the top of the page

but it's easy to miss that since it's also showing you USD prices, and I guess that's because stock may be different between the two sites and some folks might want to buy something from the UK store that's out of stock in the US.

Really they should merge the stores and just show you where things are in stock and what the shipping cost would be, while you shop. Plenty of super old webstores have been able to do that for decades now.

Yeah, plus they are using Shopify which does this seamlessly. Must be some kind of tax thing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm taking a look at the Sundered Island rulebook. What's the difference between the "starting" ship and the "real" ship? I don't really see the point of it, specially if you're supposed to start already in command.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A “Sailing ship” is just an incidental vehicle. It’s not actually an asset, the card is just for convenience of tracking its integrity. It has 3-5 integrity depending on size and you cannot be marked battered or cursed, it is simply destroyed/sunk outright if you reach integrity 0 and failed to resist destruction.

You have an incidental vehicle if your narrative makes sense for you to have one. For example the game gives you the option to start with one. Alternatively there is also the option to start with no ship or perhaps things went bad in your campaign and your flagship is temporarily unavailable. You then obtain a vessel by hook or crook, that becomes an incidental Sailing Ship.

Meanwhile the Flagship is an actual asset, and more importantly it is YOUR ship. It has more abilities that can be purchased and can be marked battered or cursed if needed (and has 5 integrity regardless of weight class) making it more durable.

A good example would be the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. *Captain* Jack Sparrow claims ownership of the Black Pearl, but doesn’t actually possess it, he starts the movie with no ship! (The yawl that sunk doesn’t count). He then steals the HMS Interceptor, but it isn’t HIS ship (and he hasn’t paid XP for the flagship asset, so it becomes an incidental vehicle and he and his friends soon lose it as it gets sunk. At the end of the adventure/vow he wins back HIS ship and spends some XP to purchase the Pearl as the Flagship asset.

Of course you can choose to start with a flagship, Shawn wants you to have it however you like. It all depends on your desired story. Check out page 98 of Sundered Isles for more info.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This might be slightly stretching the definition of a solo RPG, but no more than we have done before, so whatever. I just bought Vermis and Vermis II after watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's video about it, and it really is pretty great. It's a strategy guide for a weird fictitious soulslike video game, but the books never describe how the game is played. You just get a bunch of vague illustrations of character classes, monsters, dungeons, and plot events, and your imagination fills in the rest, like playing a video game in your head. One of the most engrossing books I've read in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwS71VxNc7o

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SimonChris posted:

This might be slightly stretching the definition of a solo RPG, but no more than we have done before, so whatever. I just bought Vermis and Vermis II after watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's video about it, and it really is pretty great. It's a strategy guide for a weird fictitious soulslike video game, but the books never describe how the game is played. You just get a bunch of vague illustrations of character classes, monsters, dungeons, and plot events, and your imagination fills in the rest, like playing a video game in your head. One of the most engrossing books I've read in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwS71VxNc7o

oh my god thank you so much!!! The last time I saw this book it was out of stock, and now it's not only back in stock, there's a sequel? I've never checked out so fast!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
:2monocle: That sounds extremely like my kind of poo poo, thank you for sharing

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I didn't know I needed that in my life but I have bought both, I really do love that retro dark fantasy vibe. After playing around with some wargames recently I've kind of found that small scale skirmish really feels like it's better managed through a proper RPG system rather than a tabletop game, particularly (as in my case) if it's a solo affair. I've attempted Five Parsecs a few times but very quickly ran out of steam which I understand is not uncommon.

I'm not a good enough DM/RPG'er to really sustain an entire world myself so I'm looking for a pre-written dark fantasy campaign and a suitable game system. It feels like Runecairn with a pre-written campaign would be a fantastic fit - but I hear good things about RUNE and I may well be missing others. Are there any pre-made campaigns that would slot into the system that I can avail myself of?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

I didn't know I needed that in my life but I have bought both, I really do love that retro dark fantasy vibe. After playing around with some wargames recently I've kind of found that small scale skirmish really feels like it's better managed through a proper RPG system rather than a tabletop game, particularly (as in my case) if it's a solo affair. I've attempted Five Parsecs a few times but very quickly ran out of steam which I understand is not uncommon.

I'm not a good enough DM/RPG'er to really sustain an entire world myself so I'm looking for a pre-written dark fantasy campaign and a suitable game system. It feels like Runecairn with a pre-written campaign would be a fantastic fit - but I hear good things about RUNE and I may well be missing others. Are there any pre-made campaigns that would slot into the system that I can avail myself of?

Can't help you with a pre-made solo oriented campaign, but if you want a skirmish wargame that plays like an RPG or fully integrates into an RPG built around randomized tables and has some published adventures, then Forbidden Psalm is a skirmish game built on top of the Mork Borg RPG system.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I really enjoy Stoneaxe Tabletop Gaming on Youtube, just a nice guy playing Solo RPGs without any ridicolous clickbait garbage. He almost always plays with a Big Book of Battle Maps and counters, minis or Meeples. I've always had a big mental split between theatre-of-the-mind OSR and wargaming as two completely different disciplines, but after watching a couple of play-throughs of Rune and Rig that use 4x4 or 5x5 grids, I see how the layout actually might end up adding input into the narrative of a fight. I'd be interested to hear opinions on the use and utility of figures and maps in solo roleplaying...

nessin posted:

Can't help you with a pre-made solo oriented campaign, but if you want a skirmish wargame that plays like an RPG or fully integrates into an RPG built around randomized tables and has some published adventures, then Forbidden Psalm is a skirmish game built on top of the Mork Borg RPG system.

I've always steered clear of the Borg stuff, but maybe I should give it a shot. I think I'm kinda sown up for wargaming but it couldn't hurt to cast an eye over it.

I decided to go in for Runecairn Wardensaga Remastered preorder. About the time I made the previous post I remembered that I actually have Thousand Year Old Vampire on my shelf, so I'm about two dozen prompts into that now. It was kinda that which made me think that I could potentially run a self-driven solo campaign - but there was an awful lot of prompting there. Part of why I enjoy fantasy is discovering the history and background, and I'm quite aware that if I'm making it up then that suspense is gone.

I tried to dictate and journal on paper but being a lefty computer nerd my handwriting is garbage, and it looks nothing like the wonderful RPG journal books you see posted online. Part of me wonders if those are like the well trodden 'here is my sketchpad' posts which are just people who have meticulously planned a series of drawings and paintings to appear casual and nonchalant, but are anything but.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I late backed it and have the pdf already but am wondering how people are finding Sundered Isles.

Probably won’t get to play it for a bit since I’m GMing Starforged and it’s an online game and the web apps haven’t yet updated for SI. Fine by me cause I haven’t even played Starforged yet. So, thoughts?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, a day into Rig and I'm really pleased. I wrote this up for my blog but figured it's pretty relevant content here:

Rig is by Not Writing Games, a variant of the Rune system by Gila RPG’s. You can join the Patreon for Not Writing Games and get RIG (along with all of his other games) for just £1 – definitely worth it. If you’ve played Into the Breach, you’ll know what kind of game this is. Though you can play entirely on a couple of sheets of A4 paper, I decided to print up a board and some terrain, here's a posed shot of what it looks like when being played:

The premise is a descent through to the core of a dead Earth, in a salvaged mech amongst the ruins of the past. Gameplay-wise, you progress through a series of procedurally generated encounters trying to reach “the Core” - obtaining snippets of lore, salvaging equipment and parts, ammo refills and useful detritus on your journey.

Encounters are generated through a deck of playing cards, drawing for the map, threat and a special condition for that encounter. When you have drawn all the cards without either dying or returning to your spacecraft you have ‘completed’ a level. There are three levels, each with unique deck references for the encounters.

Here's the game playsheets and the paper grid:

Drawing a face card pits you against one of the games bosses, and successfully beating them has you discard all of those face cards for that level, effectively reducing the deck size until you move on to the next level. Encounters have temporary special rules, permanent buffs and equipment changes, etc. and it’s unlikely you’ll face the same match twice unless you die, at which point the encounter stays there until you beat it.

There are some really thematic encounters: My second encounter was a special event: Deleted Layer – this involves a reality warping shift through different terrain draws – your goal is to sprint to any voids on the map to survive the transition to the next map without taking damage.

“Incoming firmament collision, dark matter event, or Grip malfunction. Please evacuate this layer immediately. Message repeats. Please leave now or risk ontological complications.”

The originator of the system used here, Rune, has a direct narrative element with authored ‘realms’, while Rig leverages the generative nature the card draw to create encounters. As a result the storyline is driven primarily through flavor text for items, survivors and enemies – which works well for a combat and survival oriented game like this.

I have found it a compelling game and very enjoyable. For a total cost of about £3 including the resin and filament for printing the figures and game board, an absolutely cracking way to spend a couple of hours.

Wake up, Pilot!

Rune: https://gilarpgs.myshopify.com/products/rune
Rig: https://notwriting.itch.io/rig
NotWriting Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/notwriting/membership

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
neat, it's in the current trans rights bundle

rune was very cool

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

unattended spaghetti posted:

I late backed it and have the pdf already but am wondering how people are finding Sundered Isles.

Probably won’t get to play it for a bit since I’m GMing Starforged and it’s an online game and the web apps haven’t yet updated for SI. Fine by me cause I haven’t even played Starforged yet. So, thoughts?

I really like it to read but I have yet to get a game started! I've got next week off work though, so perhaps that'll be the time.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

rune was very cool

I haven't played Rune but it's on my list for sure.

I did look at that bundle but there's nothing else there I was interested in, and as I mentioned you can subscribe to the author's patreon to get the game for £1/$1.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Curiosity got the better of me and so I emailed Modiphius, if you're a yank waiting your 5 parsecs from home compendium and bug hunt, they emailed me back letting me know shipping for us starts in June.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I got mine yesterday, in the UK. Or Tuesday. I've been a bit out of it this week and only got as far as opening the box and seeing the bubblewrapped contents.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chainchompz posted:

Curiosity got the better of me and so I emailed Modiphius, if you're a yank waiting your 5 parsecs from home compendium and bug hunt, they emailed me back letting me know shipping for us starts in June.

At least I got the PDF to start getting together the poo poo I'll need - which I think is just a variety of bugs at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Southern Heel posted:

I have found it a compelling game and very enjoyable. For a total cost of about £3 including the resin and filament for printing the figures and game board, an absolutely cracking way to spend a couple of hours.

I need to fix my 3D printer - it's filament instead of resin, but should be good enough for those figures!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

rune was very cool

"what bundle"
https://itch.io/b/2383/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-west-virginia

well I'm 5$ poorer now, but happy