Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
As way of introduction to this post, I haven’t played many roleplay games, and I’ve never played a solo roleplay game. I have read this thread though and I’m impressed by the play posts / journal entries posted. I looked at a few games from the OP with a view to trying them but haven’t yet, like Ironsworn sounds great but is absolutely overwhelming as a newbie, the pdf was so large I didn’t even finish skimming it let alone reading it all.

I came across the game Of moon and leaf.
This is really appealing for me (and only 20 pages) as I’ve always liked botanical drawings and while I’m not an artist I am excited to draw new plants I discover. I guess with all of these games you can make drawing as much or as little a part of your journaling as you want, but this idea is really grabbing me.

Of moon and leaf posted:

You are a solitary forest dweller. Each day you set out into the Forest with your journal, your satchel, and your walking staff. You collect magical plants, encounter creatures and magical spirits, and explore the wonders of Nature.

When night falls, you return to your home to mix new potions, craft new spells, and cast dream magic to carry into the night…

Of Moon and Leaf is a solo journalling rpg, about life in a Magical Forest.

I started playing this evening with a brand new notebook. My hand is pretty cramped because it’s the most handwriting I’ve done since university, and while I didn’t discover a plant just yet I have written a decent length intro about my house, myself, fragments of a dream, and a “Tiny Murky Clearing” I discovered in the forest on my first day.

I probably might’ve could’ve waited to post this as I didn’t really finish the first day so much as I’m just tired and wrote so much, but I will finish it tomorrow. I was just excited to share because this has got me so excited and I thought other might enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I thought the thread might be interested in The Radiance Adventure Engine “Play any Tabletop RPG as a solo game. You are both the Player AND the Gamemaster!”

I don’t have any association with it but strongly considering getting a digital copy.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Yeah I get what you mean. It’s new to me, as someone new to solo rpging and I don’t yet have the collection of binders of tables. I went in for the digital copy, printing and postage to Australia is dumb.

Kind of related: when printing digital games / pnp games do you go for quality printing?

I don’t know if it’s my printer or paper - which is an old, cheap, workhorse canon inkjet printer/scanner combo and the cheapest box of paper in a big store - but the results are fine, they’re just not that nice. Like trying to flick through a sheaf of papers for a game and the pages are difficult to separate, and either the paper is too thin or the ink too heavy because the obverse is pretty much legible when reading.

It doesn’t need to be book quality but just something a bit nicer if I’m going to spend hours upon hours reading and referencing it. Maybe I just need to buy a ream of nicer, heavier paper and see if that fixes things - before I start looking at $$$ printers.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks. I’ll have a look at laser printers next week, do a bit of research.

HopperUK posted:

When I print, which I rarely do, I use the laser printer at work. I don't own a printer.
The one thing I miss about working in the office - although they’d installed badge swipes on the printers in early 2020, I assume to monitor who was printing so much. It was everyone.

I remember watching one of my colleagues compile a huge amount of booklets for some junior coaching thing he was doing, maybe 70 pages in each. Spent about 3 hours just putting them together after all the printing and no one batted an eyelid.

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 1, 2022

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

RIP Mizzy. It looks like Dead Belt is taken down - it's an unavailable page for me, at least.

Same for me. It could be because the campaign finished yesterday. I picked up a digital copy.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Look what came in the mail today

I’m little sad that this has shown up Friday morning and Friday afternoon I’m heading off to spend the weekend with family who are visiting from another country. I’m taking it with me and hoping I get some quiet time, while sharing a room with my brother and nephew… I’m not that hopeful.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I had no idea it existed but I would absolutely love to play a Lower Decks campaign, the show is so incredibly fun.

Going to have to think about buying it because I don’t have enough friends who still live here to play (then I’ll impulsively buy it at 2am some night and worry about the group later).

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I haven’t played any solo games for a while (I blame buying a steam deck) but I got a mystery package in the mail and it was physical copies of Notorious and Outsiders from the kickstarter - I’d kind of forgotten it so nice surprise.

I’m reading through the Notorious book while on a multi-hour workshop thing for work (that I don’t really need to be in or speak in) and I’m excited to play. Obviously no comment on how it plays yet but the books are printed on nice paper stock and everything seems clear and straightforward.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
It’s scifi-cowboyish instead of post apocalyptic but maybe Dead Belt. It’s life out on the edge of space scavenging and scrapping enough to keep you and your ship going, and maybe you’ll turn a profit one of these days. No journaling involved: you use a deck of cards to lay out a random scrapped spaceship and a d6 to work through it.

I played a few games after getting it through the kickstarter (digital version). It’s quite well put together and the play is a good balance of survival and push your luck type play: You can balance your requirements carefully, get a little and get out and try to make this dangerous occupation safe, or you can throw caution to the wind because there’s just gotta be a big score in the next room.

My biggest criticism would be the text flavouring - not specifically the flavour text but just the way the whole thing is written in that weird space cowboy “well howdy thar lil pardner, whatsay we go steal some supplies from that thar space doohickey? And be careful, donchaknow it’s a spacedog eat spacedog world out here?” but I found it tolerable.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

ahobday posted:

I'm interested in a specific type of solo-first RPG. Here are the ones I've found so far:

Four Against Darkness
D100 Dungeon
2d6 Dungeon
Micro Chapbook RPG
NoteQuest
Twelve Years (which includes hex crawling as well)
Ker Nethalas
Dungeon Blitz Books (these seem to be one-off adventures, but they fit the criteria otherwise)
Beneath the Dungeon Floor!
Dark Fort
Basilisk

As far as I can tell, in all of these you roll dice to decide outcomes (stats, gear, dungeon rooms, enemies, combat, loot, etc.) and don't make any broad decisions yourself. The game doesn't rely on narrative or role playing, except to decide which room to enter next or whether you'll attempt e.g. to pick a lock.

They're also all dungeon crawls.

Does anyone know of any other games that fit this description, but that aren't full boxed board games?

One deck dungeon: I know you said no “full boxed board game” which it is, but it’s also available in app form (iOS, android, pc) and as free print-and-play.

I haven’t done pnp as I bought the box (and the app before that) so I can’t comment on it specifically - fair warning it takes a lot of dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Maybe it’s just me that likes ODD, I’ve played a fair bit of it grinding up characters to eke out wins. It can be a bitch at times but I really like it.

Unrelated to that, this came through in a Backerkit email today, it’s on the expensive side for a solo rpg but looks slick. Maybe getting the digital version but still thinking it through.
Astroprisma
Astroprisma is a solo sci-fi rpg about space exploration and faction conflict set in a retrofuturistic universe.
The player’s goal is to explore the entirety of the Star System Map, a 36-tile hexcrawl in the shape of a star system.