Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Solo Roleplaying: go play with your dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Not technically roleplaying, but Modiphius are publishing Five Parsecs From Home.

https://www.modiphius.net/products/five-parsecs-from-home

It's cool.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Someone made a game about communing with Monte Cook.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Warning on Four Against: the creator will publish your stuff if you submit it, and one of the third party content creators definitely has a magical realm to show you. Bouchard, I think? A lot of it is fine and then you get big monster boobs, and monster milk, and monster cheese.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Everyone posted:

Well, figure you get monster cheese from monster milk and monster milk would obviously come from... you get the idea.
yes.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
dude wrote a class for it.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Looking into a (video) game called Hunt Showdown and I suddenly have a big urge to play a (Weird) Western setting using Ironsworn/Starforged.
it's ok

you're allowed to call it big ironsworn

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
The campaign ends the day after my payday. I suppose I should go back and see what I just backed at some point.

It's a little disappointing that the Ironsworn cards are only available via DTRPG POD, but I couldn't really expect a print run. The note attached to those is not loving kidding about what they charge to ship cards outside the US, and it's the only place they print them. Brexit has probably made this even worse.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 27, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

For the original Ironsworn, if I don't really have a concept for a character off the top of my head, I'm able to make the world first, right? And then depending on what's in it, think about the character?
Yes. World design isn't tied to characters or anything.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Going with knowledge, the Wolf is possessed by the spirit of the village's recently-deceased colossal rear end in a top hat busybody. They know everyone's routines and habits and secrets, and are using them to do more damage than they could by just eating people. Revealing (and mauling) affairs, making GBS threads in the well, smashing the elder's glasses and burning their papers.

I'm not good at this in the morning.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
lol https://www.reddit.com/r/Solo_Roleplaying/comments/n8rbqh/disappointed_by_the_author_thousand_year_old/

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
ironsworn £0
ikea pencils £0
fancy notebooks £3600
dice app £0

someone who is good at solo roleplaying please help me, I can't bring myself to start writing in any of the notebooks I already own

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
one thing that is handy, I find, is a door sign holder, one of the clear acrylic ones you slip a printed sheet in. you can throw a map or literally anything in there and draw or write whatever you like with non-permanent pens on top. there are other better ways to do it, I'm sure, but my workplace ordered a thousand too many and they're nice and rigid so they're usable when you're not at a table. you can also put like twenty sheets in there if you don't want your paper getting crumpled, they're handy for transporting reference/character sheets safely.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Ow, I'm attacked. Everything on hold even as I start thinking of new things to do solo. :smith:

spend less on games you will never play and stationary you will never use

all together now: NO

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Megazver posted:

Just open one and scribble on the first few pages.

Once it has been soiled, continue with whatever it is you'd rather write in it.
This is what I actually do, I just wanted to hurt people.

HopperUK posted:

There is nothing wrong with spending money on things like this for heavens sake. Not unless it's causing you problems.

I actually have found this newish hobby to me is finally making me use the notebooks I've accumulated so hooray.
Also yeah, congratulations to you and the other person who I hope bought some additional fun stationary with their b&n money.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
https://www.modiphius.net/products/solo-game-masters-guide

Modiphius are publishing a book by Geek Gamers. Her youtube channel is pretty good.

Still waiting for Five Leagues though!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I think Rise and Umbra have a rule to basically give you a chance to build up, or maybe it was a tweak in errata or on patreon. It's something they need, unfortunately.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
That's what a d66 is.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's a d100 but with 2d6 instead of 2d10. Popular in Britain.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Lots of D&D/PF/SF/uh probably Star Wars too tokens out there if you want to run pogs on a battlemat, too.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There's the ongoing jankfest of the Two Hour Wargames product lines. They're not exactly perfectly explained and easy to learn. Some neat campaign systems.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
You get the PDF for Five Leagues right now if you preorder the book, but it isn't up for sale separately yet.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
"There will be a floor-plan in the zine for you to layout where the furniture goes."

you get to lay out a bookshop boat

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Make friends with the people who do girl guides and they'll cover for you if you cover for them. Their organisation mostly functions on volunteers printing things at work.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wrong thread?

If not, what game is this? :v:

A Cataclysm DDA mod.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
never really thought about using bones files in solo games, even though I'm already always reusing characters

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
https://www.modiphius.net/blogs/news/modiphius-entertainment-acquires-five-parsecs-from-home-five-leagues-from-the-borderlands

quote:

announcing the acquisition of the Five Parsecs From Home and Five Leagues From The Borderlands game IPs by Ivan Sorensen’s Nordic Weasel Games. The deal also covers the original Five Core system, Weasel Tech, and Five Men From Normandy games.

Ivan Sorensen will be retained as lead writer,

Five Parsecs Tactics seems like a platoon-level thing with tanks and both map & narrative campaigns. Five Parsecs Planetfall has planetary colonisation, exploration, research, and base-building. Both are apparently compatible with your Five Parsecs crew, and that is getting a collected edition of its supplements (including a bug hunt one)

Five Leagues is getting more supplements.

They're doing a retail version of Five Men in Normandy.

Weasel Tech has some neat campaign stuff about the relationships between your pilots and the characters on the ground/command team.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, you can go whichever way. I've got a bunch of the old FASA Trek RPG books I picked up ages ago in a garage sale that I've been thinking of mining for mission/adventure ideas. I probably won't follow them verbatim, but use them as a sort of guideline and/or "this is how it might go."

For example, the first one I'm thinking of using is FASA's The Vanished and about all I'll probably use from the actual adventure is the basic concept and a reference map.

When the Federation ship arrives they find the station utterly empty. Coffee cups lay cooling on tables, a faucet is left open in a restroom, and review of the ship's scanners and communication log show that in the space of an eyeblink, the 34 Starfleet officers and civilian researchers of FDR-39 just vanished.

Now obviously the FASA book has its own answers for what happened, but I think it'd be fun to just find my own cause and solution.
Perhaps they're in a warp bubble, slightly out of phase.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Here's something you shouldn't be able to answer - "Computer, what is the nature of the universe?"

:swoon:
That episode is wonderful.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
will it have Kana, the best friend?

world of horror is so cool and a tabletop version sounds amazing

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I got in my physical copy of A Thousand Dead Worlds in and it's so pretty. Haven't had time to play it but I've heard good things.
Unlike Traveller (1977), you can't die in character creation.

The trip out to your first destination, on the other hand, jesus loving christ.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Double-heads-up:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2117930/Drakkon_World_Builder/

Drakkon is on sale for 2.39 USD and I like what I see. It makes a little world, has built in oracles, dice-rollers, etc - it even has a 3D mode for walking around. Perfect for solo tabletop gaming at the computer.

Is there anything like this out there that's better / different? I'm suddenly hungry for more tools.

that's cute as hell

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Runa posted:

A lot of solo RPGs as we know them are, functionally, writing exercises with the mechanics of the system there to basically nudge you in different directions. Some are sufficiently robust enough that you could outright play them in a more conventional format, with multiple players and one taking the role of the GM, like Ironsworn/Starforged. But gamebook or CYOA style solo rpgs are uncommon, mostly due to the amount of work required to actually write them. They do exist, however. Speaking of which,

I think it's rather telling that the most convenient way to play the Fabled Lands series of gamebooks is to play their videogame ports.

Did they ever get past book 3 for the official ports?

Also yeah more gamey games are great.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Has anyone looked into the fabled lands guy's vulcanverse stuff? It sounds bad to me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are you saying it's hard?
Toilet in the tiny spaceship breaks one week into the month-long voyage to the exploration site, everyone takes d10 stress and prays that's the worst that happens.

Well, it may be a month. May be longer. Hopefully not longer than the supplies and air last. Maybe there's some at the site! Or fewer people to return.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

=-Micro Chapbook RPG: Comes in basic and advanced versions. Explore a grim dark fantasy world
=-Micro Sci-Fi RPG: Explore a grimdark fantasy sci-fi world.
*-Micro RPG: The Mangrove Hospital Murders Play grimdark Halloween, Friday the 13th, Silent Hills, and pretty much every 80s horror movie all rolled into one location.
This franchise took a delightfully cringey-but-earnest turn when the author came out as a non-binary trans woman. Not the Chuck Tingle of solo RPGs, but… huh, hey, someone should get Chuck into solo.

Unfortunately her PDFs tend to be hundreds of megabytes because no-one's taught her to optimise them, but they were a nice change from 4 Against Darkness.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
no, butt

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Ker Nethalas?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
neat, it's in the current trans rights bundle

rune was very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I got mine yesterday, in the UK. Or Tuesday. I've been a bit out of it this week and only got as far as opening the box and seeing the bubblewrapped contents.