Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I started my first solo game of Ironsworn, or any Ttrpg, back in Oct. Ironsworn was great to jump into, but I did make some mistakes in interpreting rules and move outcomes. My poor character got jumped in his first scene before even getting his kit together and got kinda beat up, due to bad luck and me not properly leveraging his strengths. Close combat was a miserable slog for this guy since he’s at 1 Iron.

Then it became my turn to host our game night RPG, also a first as we only ever played video games before, and I used Ironsworn to run that as well. Made a bunch of mistakes there, too. And my poor guy is still in freeze frame in that starting longhouse, waiting for the fight to end.

But what’s great is that mistakes don’t matter, just play through and move on with the story. I never got the impression that ttrpgs were chill about such things—they seem be very serious and lawyerly to me —but Ironsworn kinda is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HopperUK posted:

Sorry for double post. I got into Sweaters by Hedgehog today. Just did the title page. I'm going to use this as an excuse to practise my watercolours.

I can smell the potpourri.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HopperUK posted:

ok?

e: thanks folks, it's fun to do

extremely cozy, it's a compliment :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At $5 it’s worth taking a chance on. I’ve been wanting a “build a town/castle/kingdom/world” game to play with my kid, maybe this is it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just want to say, if anyone's not happy about blowing their toner on an image-heavy PDF, it's real easy to edit out images and dark blocks of crap you don't need using PDF-XChange Editor. The free version won't let you save your work without blighting it with a watermark, but you can still print it. You can even print it to PDF and have a kind of saved version, no watermark.

'Course, if your job or something gives you a PDF editor or a whole dang printer for free, there you go.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rutibex posted:

I try not to use any electronic devices, they are too distracting. To me solo roleplay is like a meditation, and it's best to use physical dice and a notebook. The tactile sensation of rolling the dice is part of the experiance, as well as creating a physical notebook. It's a lot easier to doodle in a notebook.
Dice and a notebook. The physicality of the objects and being away from a screen are part of why I play a solo RPG.

Except I have the bad habit of typing up a "final" version which slows everything down considerably, but I like feeling like I'm working in a novel too much to stop.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 1, 2022

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not a bad idea, now I can roleplay a podcaster. But seriously, getting comfortable with playing a pretend story for the first time as a grown man took a little doing, I guess reading it out loud couldn't trigger the ol' cringe too badly.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rutibex posted:

If your system uses cards it should be for something more complex than duplicating the function of rolling on a random table. You've already got dice for that!

I just wish one of these story card systems had you play a round of dominion or solitare or do a tarot spread or something with the cards. Rather than just pulling a random card and reading it.

Could just do plain ol' cartomancy then.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DRINK ME posted:

Kind of related: when printing digital games / pnp games do you go for quality printing?

Speaking for myself, I don't pay for pnp games that I can't print on a B+W laser printer and have them look decent. A Brother laser printer will do black and white text perfectly. Also, I edit all non-essential graphics out of PDFs to save on toner. Also I don't feel that card games don't satisfy unless they're professionally printed. This may also be an unpopular view, but I won't pay more than 10-15 bucks for a PDF.

This may cut out a bunch of very nice games, which I am a-ok with.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've been playing Google Meet-powered RPG games with some long distance friends for a couple years, and our thing tends to be simplistic home-cooked systems. While we're engaged in one of my friend's games, I'm cobbling together a possible system for when it's my turn to host, and playing a mostly-solo game with it. I'm texting my friends updates, but they're pretty busy and probably ignoring it, so I'll post an update now and again on here so it can be ignored in two places.

I'm merging what I've learned with Ironsworn with a cheap system I picked up on itch.io called Abenteurspiel, and making a rulebook as I go. The theme is of a single or group of covert operatives entering a location in search of a mysterious artifact, trying to figure out where it is and what it is, and escaping. I'm mostly interested in exploring an unknown area as a GM/player and overcoming obstacles, and solving a mystery that I'm not entirely in control of, with an X-Files or SCP flavor. Combat's a very much second consideration.

Anyway I'm in the very very early stages of a game setting I'm calling R. Crow Associates:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah I've been looking for an animal-collecting, let's-make-friends RPG to play with my kid and Iron Valley looks about right.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SimonChris posted:

https://sersavictory.itch.io/cyclic-dungeon-generation

I have been reading about cyclic dungeon generation, which is a method for procedural dungeon generation that was originally developed for the video game Unexplored. However, it can be easily adapted for tabletop RPGs, and seems like it could be useful for solo gaming in particular.

looking forward to watabou discovering this and adding it to his dungeon map generator.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've noticed that my favorite eps tended to transform the ship into a kind of haunted house.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Cthulu Carl posted:

There seems to be an uptick on solo wargames too.

There a thread for this?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

girl dick energy posted:

I admit I’m biased, I like seeing old, flawed systems in general, especially ones made by a single person mostly left to their own devices. Stuff from before there was really any established best practices is always fascinating to me, so the flaws add to the experience instead of taking away from it. I don’t know how the experience will be for someone who doesn’t have that perspective.

(It’s not a coincidence that I’m also in love with Gen 1 Pokémon and other janky retro RPGs.)

I'm not well versed in RPGs in general, but I will sometimes leaf through old stuff to see what they tried to do, and how they tried to do it. This is fun to do with any game genre.

To me, RPGs, especially solo ones, represent an exploration into imaginary possibilities, summoning lands and creatures into existence, then seeing what's out there. RPG rulesets and mechanics are frameworks for that exploration, and looking through them is like looking at worlds that were once possible.

In any game genre, you see refinements upon old systems, and lots of times, they're clear improvements on old ones. A refinement or simplification will be successful and enjoyable enough to set a new standard, upon which newer systems are built and refined, and so on. And sometimes, maybe often, interesting and creative (if not actually good) mechanics are left behind and forgotten, and a whole method for experiencing a given world is lost.

That stuff can be fun to dig up and think about again. It's great going back to what feels like a huge, forgotten well of creativity. (It's also great to go, "That's pretty cool, but I'm so happy that I don't have to play it that way.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I very enthusiastically picked up one deck dungeon as a physical rogue like, but man, is it an unfun experience. My kid was three though and she got to flip the cards over (knocking on the door graphic first), so it got a fair amount of play.