Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been playing Apothecaria by Anna Blackwell and it's really lovely. A journalling game where you are a village witch, curing people of ailments both minor and major. You have to seek out reagents that match the tags on their ailment, and have tiny adventures in different locations. I'm saving up for a beehive because people will pay more for potions that taste nice. Gotta get that honey money.

Journal page here. My writing is awful but to be fair it's only for me to read.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Giving this a bit of a bump with something I've been thinking about lately. Anyone got any random tables they particularily like for doing solo stuff? It can be from any source, not just things intended for solo play.

Aside from all the good stuff in Ironsworn/Starforged themselves, there is a fan supplement called Ironsmith that has a lot of expanded oracles. For non Ironsworn/Starforged, there is a cool thing for cyberpunk genre called Augmented Reality.

I really like 'Table Fables' by Madeline Hale. I felt silly paying for a book of the kind of random charts you get for free all over the internet but it's really quality stuff. I'll get her other books I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I am really liking Apothecaria too. :3: I also dipped my toes into her dungeon map-making game Delve and utterly devastated my dwarven hold within ten turns.

Yeah, my Delve dungeon did not go so hot. I'm gonna take a good run at Umbra I think, and sort of fudge the book-keeping cuz I don't want to do combat in that game, I just wanna draw map.

What familiar did you get? I got a rat with an independent streak and I think when the summer comes I'm going to have him come home with a wife and six baby rats.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Just gotta say, this is amazing:

I love the idea of creating something in the process of playing. I have all kinds of physical art materials, and I barely use them. This might be a good opportunity to do something with it.

I'm glad you liked the look of it! I had a faux leather journal notebook thing and decided to go to town. I heartily recommend setting yourself up with a nice book and a nice pen and making an indulgent little time of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

lol my writing isn't great, as you can see, but it's not like I'm writing it for anyone else :)

I think a laptop would be fun too! Just pretend you're a more high tech witch and write it like a series of livejournal posts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

potatocubed posted:

If you're getting into solo games and you like creating artefacts of play, Wreck This Deck might be up your street.

Thanks for this tipoff, I just picked this up. Excited to ruin this deck of cards.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Also there’s a fountain pen thread over in PYF (I’d link but I’m phone-posting) if you want even more advice and pens and inks to drool over.

I got you:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265

I can recommend Cult Pens if you're buying pens in the UK. They've very kindly offered to ship me a new cap for my discontinued fountain pen for free after I emailed them in a tizzy after losing it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Cult Pens will also frequently chuck in a bag of haribo, which has kept my loyalty

And those little smiley face paper clips! A good company.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just can't justify thirty bucks for a PDF game but I hear it's very good and I wish them all the luck in the world.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There is nothing wrong with spending money on things like this for heavens sake. Not unless it's causing you problems.

I actually have found this newish hobby to me is finally making me use the notebooks I've accumulated so hooray.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You could use the sigil-drawing rules from Sigils in the Dark to combine with Wreck This Deck in a fun way I think.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Excellent thanks so much for the heads up!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sorry for double post. I got into Sweaters by Hedgehog today. Just did the title page. I'm going to use this as an excuse to practise my watercolours.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I can smell the potpourri.

ok?

e: thanks folks, it's fun to do

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Aw, thank you. One of the customers I rolled was a squirrel who was from far away and I googled and found the Malabar giant squirrel:

I gift knowledge of it to all of you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That's not a real thing, that's a squirrel that's been attacked by kids with spray paint bottles.

The Smithsonian says it's real but your username checks out! I don't know what to believe! ...for real they say maybe the vibrancy on the photos has been turned up a bit but they really are flashy like that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

extremely cozy, it's a compliment :)

In that case, thank you :D

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I think the squirrel is really a sort of maroon-brown and black combo but I choose to believe in giant purple squirrel anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sweater bear!

I don't know why but this format is really making me happy. Bring on that goblin-shopkeeper hack.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

:eyepop: I love the scrapbook format

Cheers! I had all these stickers and things lying around and I thought why not.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've just realised I have to work out how a bat wears a sweater. Great big armholes and it's a sleeveless sweater-vest?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Maybe! I'm gonna try to make this work with a sweater but if it ends up being a bat wearing a big scarf, we'll just have to deal with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I just came across Scraps by Cezar Capacle and it looks like an interesting counterpart to Apothecaria. It's another "feel-good crafting game" but set in a solarpunk post-apocalypse. You set out on expeditions to find materials for personal and community building projects, which are supposed to be symbiotic with the environment and not colonial or imperialistic. Hard to see the exact mechanics from the preview but it looks like there's some sort of Tetris-like inventory management representing your construction.

I think I'll definitely check this out; anyone else played it already?

Edit: got the PDF and skimmed through it. Looks decent, though it may be a little annoying to play on paper since a big part of the game is flipping, rotating, and otherwise transforming specific shapes on a grid. There is also a worldbuilding component where you map/explore the hexes surrounding your settlement to find special ingredients. The game has a very specific explore-collect-craft loop but the output of that loop feels kind of half-hearted; your projects are worth "points" when completed but there's nothing to use those points on except to "spend" them on narrative experiences, and the only guidance on spending is to just "put 10-20 points into something depending on how much you care about it."

The initial comparison to Apothecaria feels very apt: whereas that game has very specific events and outcomes while you're gathering ingredients and zero rules for how to craft them together, this game's exploration is much more open-ended and the crafting is tightly defined. Might be interesting to mash the two together somehow.

That's really interesting! Looks a bit too fiddly for my taste, but please report back if you try running through it a bit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

I haven't dug into it yet, but the designer has been live tweeting a playthrough in this thread all day.

https://twitter.com/capacle/status/1437052882948341763

This does look fun, thanks for this link.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Cross-posting from the Kickstarter thread because it might be of interest to people here:

Also, I've just released another solo game (although this one you can play with others, if you like) called See Issue X. It's about superhero stories and accumulated backstory cruft.

Ooo this is of interest to me, I'm gonna stick that in the list to check out when I have time. Cheers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That looks fun! Cheers.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Angrymog posted:

Yeah, it's neat. I started a little campaign, then got distracted by wondering how to make it nicer to read before I wrote it up.

Hopper, how's your hedgehog's sweater shop doing?

Wow this thread fell right out of my brain! It's doing, I kinda stalled out for a bit artwise but I'm back in the saddle now so there should be more soonish.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

GetDunked posted:

I ran through a few dungeons of D100 and enjoyed it. Like you said, the combat is a bit of a slog, just because there's a lot of missing on both sides--maybe that's just early on, but it feels like a lot of dice rolls every turn just to have absolutely nothing happen. The exploration aspect is fun though, and it's neat to wind up with an artifact of the dungeon map after the fact.

Not sure at this point if it's still properly roleplaying in the same vein, but I'm a fan of Andrew Backhouse's Pencilgames; of which I think Pencilvillage strikes the best compromise between depth, playtime, and fiddliness, but they're all worth checking out in my opinion.

Ooo thanks for the tipoff - I picked up Penciltown. It reminds me of Anna Blackwell's mapdrawing games, DELVE and RISE and UMBRA, and I do love this kind of thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Just want to say, if anyone's not happy about blowing their toner on an image-heavy PDF, it's real easy to edit out images and dark blocks of crap you don't need using PDF-XChange Editor. The free version won't let you save your work without blighting it with a watermark, but you can still print it. You can even print it to PDF and have a kind of saved version, no watermark.

'Course, if your job or something gives you a PDF editor or a whole dang printer for free, there you go.

Yeah I have a printer at work and a cheerful boss so I print things there, thank goodness. Otherwise it'd be all on-screen all the time and I find that less satisfactory.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Secrets of the Vibrant Isle fulfilled today and so far it looks gorgeous. I can't wait to play. You're a solo explorer who shipwrecks on an amazing magical island. You explore, meet the mysterious inhabitants, gain friends (and occasional 'nuisances') and try to persuade the island that you should be allowed to live there forever. Worth a swing if it sounds interesting to you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

potatocubed posted:

Oops, almost forgot: the Solo But Not Alone Bundle 2 is live at the moment. It's 102 games for $10 covering God only knows how many genres and topics (I believe there's a spreadsheet that comes with it) and it's for a good cause.

(I have a game in there but I'm not getting any compensation from it because it's a charity thing.)

There's some really great poo poo in this, definitely get it if you're even slightly interested in this stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, I keep notes pages and I add on post-its for things I'm likely to forget. I also try not to worry too hard though - after all so long as the story is working, it's working.:)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

chglcu posted:

So, I’m looking to do some solo RP, and everything I’ve looked into has been lacking in some way. Ironsworn/Starforged seems awesome for athe story generation aspects, but I would really like a system that grounds things in whatever reality I happen to choose, and those seem too loose in service of whatever makes a good story. I’ve looked into using GURPS since that’s what I played as a kid, but the system just seems too heavy and I really dislike the advantages/disadvantages munchkining aspect. At the moment, I’m leaning towards a sort of free form Fudge thing where I come up with the attributes and skills as necessary.

Not really sure if this post has a point, but I’ve been wanting to do this for months and just keep waffling on what approach I should take.

Well, do you want story heavy, or do you want crunch? I can't quite tease out from your post what you're looking for. There are dozens of solo games and dozens of ways to convert regular games over to solo. If Ironsworn/Starforged is too 'loose' for you but GURPs is too crunchy then I can't work out where you'd land. Maybe look into the sort of gamebook style? Four Against Darkness? The horror version of that whose name I forget?

I keep meaning to use some oracle system or other to play Pendragon by myself.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zeenovos posted:

My friend Kass told me you were in this thread since I've been playing Sweaters by Hedgehog and loving it, and she wants me to share what I've made so uh, here's a link to the blog post I did? :sweatdrop: (I'm doing another blog post on Monday, I've got like, 29 more entries I can make in the journal I'm playing in). https://pixelladium.wordpress.com/2022/03/14/sweaters-by-hedgehog-part-1/

Ahhh this is lovely:) I am shamed, I must get back to my playthrough if I can find the notebook I was using. Or start a new one. My hedgehog is named Fitz after the Agents of SHIELD character cuz he's also just a little guy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If your character is the sort to spend a day writing letters to people you could take a look at Quill!

If they're a magic user you could use Sigils in the Dark to do some magical research.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My, Myself and Die posted a 'solo roleplaying tips' video that might be enjoyed by some folk here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgVtt8jC2aA

I'm still trying to land on the best solo world-building game. I want to take a proper run at Ex Novo and also The Quiet Year which can both easily be played solo. Anyone got recs? I do enjoy Penciltown but it's a tiny bit too book-keepy for me, I'd rather something more narrative, but that still ends up with a cool map.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thanks friends! I have played How to Host a Dungeon before and I quite enjoy it, had almost forgotten about it. Beak Feather and Bone does not quite vibe with me but I might dig it out for a closer look. Microscope - I *love* Microscope but had not considered adapting it to a map structure.

I knew asking here would bear fruit. Cheers m'dears.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Vs

You are really criticizing the layout when you just made 3 columns in Word and called it a day?

I don't think there's any need for this. It's legitimate to criticise a product, if you don't agree with the concerns raised then just say so, you know?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Sounds like quite a lot of fun, and a creative use of that oracle pull. Very nice.

Not having as much luck on my own effort - aforementioned game already petered out and any interest in it is dead. Ah well. I'm sure I'll be finding myself in the same place again in 3 months, like the last several times.

It's okay if the stories peter out. You don't have to finish for it to be a worthwhile activity.

You might know this but I know it's a sticking point for some people.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ShutteredIn posted:

Those Book of Random Tables things are bland as all hell. Stars/Worlds Without Number and googling random tables will serve you much better honestly.

The only ones of those I ever got and found genuinely inspiring are the ones by Madeline Hale that you can get cheap in paperback on Amazon. She has one of magical objects that has genuinely fun and inspiring ideas in it, and the other ones of hers are pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Itch.io is doing another TTRPG charity bundle,this time for Planned Parenthood and NNAF (National Network of Abortion Funds) lot of solo games in there.

https://itch.io/b/1375/ttrpgs-for-reproductive-rights

Oh sweet, thanks!