Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just saw that mophidus has a Sci fi role playing solo thing, has anyone tried that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Starforged has one day left for late pledging if anyone has slept on that. The rulebook is nearly complete and is mostly just needing final editing passes and some artwork. The preview material has been all but complete for ages.

I have no idea what Ironforged plays like but I bought the deluxe edition because it sounded good and I have almost no solo content.

I also got Five Parsecs from Home that was discounted because of “a slight blemish”

It has maybe a single dot and a slight crease on the corner of the book. What.

I’d have bought this as-is from a book store without a second thought. I’m glad for the discount…but…uh…

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Drone posted:

It's probably uncontroversial to say that Ironsworn and by extension Starforged are probably both the current leaders in the solo RPG space, so you made a good choice imo.

I prefer Starforged but that's probably just because it's newer/shinier/I prefer sci-fi to fantasy anyway.

How is Five Parsecs from Home though, practically? Like I love the idea of a solo wargame but I also have a hard time imagining myself breaking out the pewter and plastic spacemen and actually setting up a battlefield on my kitchen table just for me.

Well, it was the Starforged deluxe edition I bought so I assume that if Ironforged is good, then this will not be the worst purchase I've done so far this year.

I also prefer scifi to fantasy but I haven't had the chance to actually play yet. Maybe this weekend

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh I love the models for Stargrave and I want to pre-order the new boxes but I hate having to pay $30 s&h and weeks to wait for them to show up to burgerland

At least the game play looks fun

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ubersandwich posted:

I haven't heard of this before and thanks to your comment I went down a rabbit hole of solo-wargames and absolutely amazed that this genre exists.. and a little concerned that I am probably going to get yet ANOTHER system this weekend to start.

Looking at 5 Parsecs from Home right now, because I am enamored with campaign play and rolling on tables. I am not truly happy unless I'm rolling on a table.

The only negative, if you could call it that is I am not a big mini guy. I don't enjoy collecting, painting etc minis, but I suppose I proxies and cardboard cutouts will do the trick.

Why not? Also, you can get pre-painted dnd minis, there's a fantasy option, Frostgrave

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 13, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

there's also https://battlesystems.co.uk/product/core-space-starter-set/

Which seems to be potentially single player, though I think that one is more battle and less rpg

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's only tolerable if you have an iPad or a laptop where you can flip the screen around so it's a pretend tablet, in my opinion

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Still waiting on my physical copy :smugjones:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Just a note: my group played this when it came out (Jesus I'm old) and it was one of the best campaigns of any ttrpg I've been a part of. Our house heir was played by a friend of mine as basically a young Michael Corleone / Tywin Lannister and it was so awesome having the group be beholden to a guy with absolutely no scruples and no fear. Absolutely epic stuff, and we even played with the House management rules and had a legit battle with a neighboring family.

SO good.

I own the physical core book and I'm so assmad I haven't had the chance to play it yet

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

showcase of the delux Ironsworn: Starforged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7q3KlwlNc4

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Skwirl posted:

There's gonna be another itch.io charity bundle. This one for trans rights in Florida. I found out about it by clicking a link on the Solovember twitter thread, so like most of these things I suspect there will be a decent number of solo rpgs in there.

https://itch.io/jam/ttrpgs-for-trans-rights-in-florida

29 hours till this goes live and there's already 455 submissions

:psypop:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I think the best tool for solo role-playing now is ChatGPT. It's an intelligent chat bot which can DM a game for you or randomly generate any kind of content you ask for. Its basically magic:

https://chat.openai.com/chat

For example it made this when I asked it for a magical item named Perry the Parrying Dagger

Perry the Magical Parrying Dagger

I tried doing something similar and I kept getting crap about it doesn't know about stuff like that, but generated a description

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got my copy of Ironsworn: Starforged in, looks very pretty

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

excited! That's gonna be a buy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got in my physical copy of A Thousand Dead Worlds in and it's so pretty. Haven't had time to play it but I've heard good things.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Unlike Traveller (1977), you can't die in character creation.

The trip out to your first destination, on the other hand, jesus loving christ.

Are you saying it's hard?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a buncha books at PAX East:

Anyone have any suggestions similar to these or Ironsworn: Starforged or Across A Thousand Dead Worlds?

I know I can get Miru 2 but i want MORE

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I really like print options, but, I'll consider the pdfs...

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I've had great success with the lifehack of 'use the printer at work'

Though I am considering buying the physical edition of Thousand Year Old Vampire because it's just so fuckin beautiful.

I saw that one in person and debated it, it was outside of my budget at $47. very nice book tho, I was less interested in Journaling vs dice chucking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wish I liked ODD or ODG but they're so unfun lol