Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ubersandwich posted:

I keep having to remind myself in Ironsworn that I can pay the price with a narrative disadvantage or potential danger rather than HAVING to subtract numbers from my character. On one hand it feels like I'm cheating, but I know everyone who plays the game, including Shawn, says it's not.

It's just the old D&Der in me wants to have every round or conflict be a "Swing-> Hit/Miss -> Damage".

I was fighting a mysterious space jellyfish in an abandoned derelict when I had to Pay the Price. I rolled Action + Theme and got Defeat History. This could only mean that this was a psychic jellyfish capable of feeding on people's memories. Now I am stuck in a barely functional derelict, with no memory of how I got here or what I am supposed to be doing.

I saw people earlier, but they fled at my approach, and then I fell into an open maintenance shaft and got lost. Now I am thinking that these people have also had their memories drained by the psychic jellyfish. The crew are still here! They have merely forgotten how to operate the ship.

This is my first time playing Ironsworn, and I am really impressed by how every new twist seems to explain things that happened earlier, even though nothing is actually planned out in advance.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I was wondering if people could recommend some general RPG resources useful for solo playing, in particular with regard to procedural content generation? One can always use more random generation tables, encounter decks, etc.

I would like to start out by recommending Downcrall and Skycrawl, which are system-neutral sourcebooks for generating adventures in a mysterious underground world and/or among floating island kingdoms, with lost of tables for weird areas, characters, and items. Both can easily be adapted for Ironsworn or similar systems. I mean who couldn't use a random psychedelic mushroom generator for their Ironsworn campaign?

Anyone else have any recommendations?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

So this doesn't say it's a journaling game or a solo RPG, but I'm pretty sure it is.

https://twitter.com/Sotherans/status/1510361300945321994?s=20&t=ABZaCKdYS-8yPF_juiLldA

There is also this:

https://twitter.com/Sotherans/status/1513210507506954250

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/deuceofgears/status/1534951297568342016

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
New game out:

https://twitter.com/yuigaron/status/1561669870177210370

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Interesting discussion of academic story generation engines. A lot of this seems like it could be adapted for solo-rpging without too much effort.

https://twitter.com/chrisamaphone/status/1572606760065679362

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

If your system uses cards it should be for something more complex than duplicating the function of rolling on a random table. You've already got dice for that!

I just wish one of these story card systems had you play a round of dominion or solitare or do a tarot spread or something with the cards. Rather than just pulling a random card and reading it.

Cards differ from dice in that you can't draw the same card more than once (unless you reshuffle), which leads to more variety. You don't get a lot of streaks of similar results since the cards you already drew are no longer available. There can also be an extra level of strategy in trying to keep track of which cards have been used and how that affects the probability of getting other types of cards; just look at the popularity of blackjack.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 29, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The author of Thousand Year Old Vampire has just published A Collection of Improving Exercises, a solo game about a book of perspective drawing exercises, and then there is some kind of game-like experience??? Even after reading the description, I am not sure what you are supposed to do with this, but the author has earned my trust.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thousand Year Old Campfire is now for sale.

The author is also launching Five Hundred Year Old Vampire tomorrow. He sure has a theme.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

https://sersavictory.itch.io/cyclic-dungeon-generation

I have been reading about cyclic dungeon generation, which is a method for procedural dungeon generation that was originally developed for the video game Unexplored. However, it can be easily adapted for tabletop RPGs, and seems like it could be useful for solo gaming in particular.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 12, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
https://www.patreon.com/posts/ancient-wonders-97329838

New expansion coming for Ironsworn: Starforged. This might motivate me to restart my campaign.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 15, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I didn't realize it was a third-party thing. I just saw the link on Facebook and assumed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This might be slightly stretching the definition of a solo RPG, but no more than we have done before, so whatever. I just bought Vermis and Vermis II after watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's video about it, and it really is pretty great. It's a strategy guide for a weird fictitious soulslike video game, but the books never describe how the game is played. You just get a bunch of vague illustrations of character classes, monsters, dungeons, and plot events, and your imagination fills in the rest, like playing a video game in your head. One of the most engrossing books I've read in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwS71VxNc7o