Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
I recently played Artefact by Jack Harrison, after hearing about it on the Shut Up & Sit Down podcast. It's a lovely game, though it doesn't really include any random elements - just your own thoughts. You play as a maybe-sentient 'item' - a weapon, a shield, some boots, a golem, whatever you can think of - and describe what happens to you and who are the people that carry you throughout the ages.

I really enjoyed playing. I haven't played any other recent Solo RPG, so I don't have a great comparison point, but this felt in some ways less like a game and more like a series of interesting creative prompts. It gives just enough choice to feel extremely flexible, but is also narrow enough that you don't like the game asks you to just make everything up on your own. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in playing a solo game, and also to anyone who likes writing as a creative pursuit. I felt like I had an actual story on my hands at the end of it, and I'm even going to include the Artifact that I came up with in my D&D campaign.

I'm also excited to try other games in the genre - I think it's been sorely lacking, and as a huge fan of old single-player adventure video games, this kicks up some powerful nostalgia for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU