Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Recently started to play around a bit with Solo RPGs, so really enjoying reading through this thread. Started out with Ironforge and tried out a Thousand-Year-Old-Vampire based on the recommendation in this thread. TYOV was a really good experience, although I think I misunderstood the rules a bit. You can only check a skill once, right? What is supposed to happen if I have to check a skill, but none are available? I ended up having to stop a run fairly early on, because I had no skills and no items left.

As for Ironforge, that one is really fantastic and I'm definitely gonna pledge on getting something in the Kickstarter tomorrow. Really hoping that there'll be a tier to get everything physically.

What I was wondering is how you guys generally play these games? I've been using my tablet + pen to keep track of the character sheet, write down what events are going on, and using a simple PDF with random numbers to roll the dice. Been also experimenting a bit with using RPGMaker while playing IronForge to quickly draw out maps and set down tokens to indicate what the situation is, instead of writing everything down, as I noticed it slowed things down immensely. Also came across The Augur yesterday which I'm considering using to replace my regular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Selecta84 posted:

For our Ironforge campaign we are using Roll20. The character sheets are amazing for the moves, progress bars, sites, etc.

My characters writes down everything in the bio section of the sheet and I share it with my buddy.
I'll give it a try again. Tried Roll20 earlier on, but it didn't work really well with the touchscreen. Now that I'm playing more with a keyboard + mouse, I could give it a try again.

Does anyone know of a good digital alternative for Jenga towers? Not having to play the game specifically, but something that would provide the same type of results. I've been wanting to try out a couple of rulesets with them, but would really prefer to keep the gaming to a digital format.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I just went straight to the Deluxe pledge without reading much of the description. This looks really ace. Looking forward to reading through the preview edition.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
Thanks to the people who recommended Five Parsecs From Home. I've been taking a break from my Starforged campaign until the final edition is out, and it's nice to have something that's a bit more straightforward, but still scratches that narrative itch. I've rolled up a crew of four and finished two battles. At first, I was a bit put off that the combat was randomised before I even know what I would get into for a Patron mission, but on both occasions, I was able to actually think off a good excuse on what was happening. Combat is far more deadly than I expected(but I like that I don't have to track HP or anything), and so far, combat is over fairly quickly. Sometimes have to scroll a bit too much back-and-forth on the rules, but that's a part of it.

I've also been enjoying The Outcast on my phone. It's story-based, very rules lite, and everything is generally resolved on a single roll at the end of a scene. You can make rolls during a scene, but they don't really have any impact on the end result and is more to drive the narrative. I generally only jot down bullet points of what's going on, so a single session / campaign can be finished in 30 minutes. It was absolutely perfect when I went on a long commute awhile back and just wanted to quickly pick up something.

Drone posted:

How is Five Parsecs from Home though, practically? Like I love the idea of a solo wargame but I also have a hard time imagining myself breaking out the pewter and plastic spacemen and actually setting up a battlefield on my kitchen table just for me.
I'm using Microsoft OneNote. I have a single page with gridlines with a 24x24 battlefield in the center where I use shapes to indicate what the terrain looks like and draw(with a stylus) where the tokens are. I have the Crew Log on the left with the World Record Sheet below it, Encounter Log on the right, and make notes about the campaign turn at the bottom. At the end of each campaign turn, I make a copy of the page for bookkeeping and to be able to look back.

Baron von der Loon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 6, 2022