Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ironsworn is pretty fantastic and I'm really looking forward to the Sci-Fi version coming out later this year. I'm in the playtest discord for it and it makes some nice changes that will probably get backported to Ironsworn (by players if not by Shawn himself).

As someone who has never managed to score a regular RPG group, I'm kinda happy and excited to see Solo RPGs start to become a more common/recognized thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't played Artefact myself but I've heard good things. The author is also doing a sci-fi one called "Bucket of Bolts" where instead of being a magic item, you're a smalish ship going through a series of owners. Basically "Millenium Falcon the RPG".

Its got a bit less that 48 hours left on its kickstarter.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I’d have to check but off the top of my head did you friend use Assist an Ally? Does it make narrative sense?

Edit: from Aid your Ally in the rule book :

quote:

On a miss, one or both of you should Pay the Price as appropriate to the circumstances and your intent when making the move. If in doubt, Ask the Oracle. As with a weak hit, you both lose initiative when in combat.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 13, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, Shawn has been pushing hard to get everything ready for the Kickstarter. The playtest stuff is already really good. Anyone who likes Ironsworn and likes Sci-Fi is gonna love it.

Been tempted to play some using the playtest materials but part of me keeps saying to wait. Well, that and the same struggle I've had with Ironsworn about struggling to think of a good inciting incident (start).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ehhh? Maybe? This makes me realize I haven't actually read the latest version of the playtest Chapter 2: Launching Your Campaign.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

https://twitter.com/ShawnTomkin/status/1383073011947892738

:toot:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I tried Ironsworn last night and it got out of hand way too fast.

Maybe it's my inexperience, but how do you keep things from escalating like this?

Shawn (the author of Irownsworn) made a good tweet thread about this roughly a year ago. He's also commented that he's noticed that solo players tend to be surprisingly harsher on themselves than they would if they were the GM of a group!

My own input would be, don't be so harsh! Things only get as bad as you let them. You don't need to roll on the table for every Pay the Price or whatever. Just go with what feels right, and don't be afraid to be a bit lenient at first. Low on supply but got plenty of Spirit and Health? Maybe take a ding to one of those instead. Also don't be afraid to throw your character a bone after they've gotten beat up. Your supplies are all dried up and you're tired and hurt? Have your character come come across a chance to make camp and recuperate a bit.

And even when it looks like all is lost and logically you SHOULD die... if you're not satisfied with that death, then don't let it happen. The foeman stays the fatal blow, the creature drags you back to its lair instead of devouring you immediately, unlikely help arrives in your darkest hour. When in doubt, ask the oracle why you survive.

Also assets are not something you can normally permanently lose. You can be temporarily divested of them, but you'll always find a way to get your hands back on them in short order. They are a core part of your character, losing them permanently should be a major plot point, not a result of random and passing chance.

[edit] Oh yeah, Shawn's thread talking about Secure an Advantage reminds me of one of the biggest nice changes Starforged makes. Namely to Secure an Advantage:

Ironsworn SaA:

quote:

On a strong hit, you gain advantage. Choose one.
• Take control: Make another move now (not a progress move), and add +1.
• Prepare to act: Take +2 momentum.
On a weak hit, your advantage is short-lived. Take +1 momentum.
On a miss, you fail or your assumptions betray you. Pay the Price.

Starforged SaA:

quote:

On a strong hit, take both. On a weak hit, choose one.
✴Take +2 momentum
✴Add +1 on your next move (not a progress move)
On a miss, you fail or your assumptions betray you. Pay the Price.

IMO, use the Starforged version, even for Ironsworn. It actually makes the move a LOT better. RAW in IS SaA is often a mechanically weak move to perform. A Strong Hit on it is about as difficult as most other moves and its return is relatively weak considering you could've just made another move and scored an actual success (usually gaining +1 Momentum in the process). This is ofc focusing on mechanics benefit rather than narrative sense, but its still a nice change IMO.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 21, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sure you can. Here is Aid Your Ally from Starforged:

quote:

When you act in direct support of an ally, envision how you aid them. Then, Secure an Advantage or Gain Ground to take action. If you score a hit, they (instead of you) take the benefits of the move.
If you Gain Ground and score a strong hit, you are both in control. On a weak hit, your ally is in control but you are in a bad spot.

Gain Ground is the new Secure an Advantage equivalent for Starforged's revamped version of combat (there is also a combat specific variant of Face Danger called "React Under Fire"), which is another of the big changes I love. It changes from focusing on defeating enemies via marking progress to a more objective based focus (which might be defeating enemies, but could also be a number of other things, and whoever you're fighting is just an obstacle to overcome). For example, if you're attempting protect someone from a group of assassins, in Ironsworn, you'd have to deal with each assassin individually as seperate progress bar, or group them into a pack. In Starforged your objective is instead "Protect the target" and progress could be made/narrated by defeating the Cultists via strike/clash or perhaps finding a way to help the target escape via Gain Ground or React Under Fire. This is the reason for a unique variant of Secure an Advantage for combat, it can now mark progress!

Of course, this cuts both ways. Escaping from a fight going sour in Ironsworn was as simple as making a Face Danger Roll or two. In Starforged if you've Paid The Price to the point of being cornered in a fight, you might need to Enter the Fray with an objective to escape. Though since your objective is simply to escape rather than defeat the enemy you should consider setting the rank lower. Destroying an enemy battlecruiser in your much smaller ship might be an Extreme or even Epic objective, escaping from it is probably only Troublesome or Dangerous.

Because the focus is now on objectives, depending on how you choose to narrate and set the ranks of your objectives, this can make things feel quite a bit more dramatic and heroic, as you can potentially narrate a "Strike" making progress towards your objective be gunning down a couple mooks. Or you can keep things grittier. Your choice.

"in Control" and "In a Bad Spot" are just the new wording Starforged uses for what Ironsworn calls "initiative" and is small but nice change IMO as calling it "initiative" really seemed to cause a lot of players (especially D&D vets) hangups. In control = You're being proactive in the fight, In a Bad Spot = You're being reactive in the fight.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 21, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At the same time you replied, I edited and expanded on that post a bit lol. I didn't intend to add that much, but I went to make a minor correction and ended up adding a lot more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, Combat in Starforged is basically a variant of Scene Challenges, but more open-ended on your options and no countdown.

I've been doing a lot of thinking and even some experimenting with playing Ironsworn using Starforged. I am considering writing it all down into a document just to keep it straighter than the jumble in my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 21, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looking into a (video) game called Hunt Showdown and I suddenly have a big urge to play a (Weird) Western setting using Ironsworn/Starforged.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Ironsworn: Starforged Kickstarter is now live.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cocks Cable posted:

Already backed for me. Is there a list of changes compared to regular Ironsworn for those already familiar with the system? I'm already digging the legacy tracks and xp changes and want to see this stuff back ported to Ironsworn.

Off the top of my head:

* Combat now has its own variants on Secure an Advantage and Face Danger called Gain Ground and React Under Fire. Gain Ground even allows the option of marking progress on combat without (in)directly attacking your foe.
* This is because Combat is now Objective Focused instead of centered on defeating enemies (though defeating enemies can be an objective!) OFC this makes escaping a fight a bit more difficult as Escape should probably itself be considered an objective. You're supposed to set the objective's rank accordingly though. Escaping from a Star Destroyer and its TIES in your YT-1300? Dangerous. Destroying a Star Destroyer in your YT-1300? Epic or Extreme.
* a single move option vs Undertake a Journey (now called "Undertake an Expedition) called "Set a Course" for travelling to places when you have good information on the route to be travelled but the path or the destination still might be dangerous.
* Undertake an Expedition is not only for exploratory journeys, but also used for Starforged's equivalent of Ironsworn's Delve expansion.
* Minor wording changes to things like Initiative (now "In Control" vs "In a Bad Spot") and how momentum burning/reset works that hopefully are less confusing.
* Bonds system changed quite a bit. People now start as Contacts and you make progress towards your relationship before you try to forge a bond. Contacts are about as strong as Ironsworn Bonds while Starforged Bonds have more benefit and let you mark XP on your Bonds Legacy Track.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Basically the same as solo except you and your friend(s) discuss/interpret the rolls from The Oracle and other results together.

When I get home in about an hour I’ll dig up a podcast style thing of the author Shawn playing a session together with his (adult) son.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

When I get home in about an hour I’ll dig up a podcast style thing of the author Shawn playing a session together with his (adult) son.

https://www.podbean.com/pu/pbblog-turs7-61c39f

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Just a week left on the kickstarter for Ironsworn. Its looking like we'll make the Sundered Isles goal. I really hope we do anyways.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Less than 24 hours left on the Ironsworn: Starforged Kickstarer. They also succeeded in making their final stretch goal, the Pirate Fantasy "Sundered Isles" reskin.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I continue to be frustrated with my biggest trouble with Ironsworn/Starforged; thinking of a decent Background Vow and/or Inciting Incident.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Made myself a little thing to try to get myself to commit to playing. Since I'm throwing in a healthy amount of Star Wars flavoring into my Starforged, I might as well start it off right...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Made myself a little thing to try to get myself to commit to playing. Since I'm throwing in a healthy amount of Star Wars flavoring into my Starforged, I might as well start it off right...

Finally got this rolling after a few days and having a real blast. Started off really good too with my rolling a miss with matching 8s on the challenge dice on my initial Swear a Vow move. Maybe once I finally finish up this vow (which is turning into a real adventure) I'll do a write up of it.

Either way, Starforged is awesome.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At the very least I'd suggest skipping through and reading or skimming chapter 7, if you haven't already . Especially the section on starting your campaign, and anything else that looks like it might address stuff you're still unsure on. Otherwise give it a shot, you can always fall back to the book or ask questions (here or on the discord, join the IS/SF discord, its a good place).

Really glad I got my Starforged game going at last. I've completed two vows so far (and a few expeditions of different kinds) and I'm just loving it and the improvements/changes it made to IS rules. Currently trailblazing a path through space to an ancient graveworld to find an alien temple I had a vision of someone awaiting me at. Except the first leg of my expedition to chart the passage just stumbled upon a derelict human space station/settlement that isn't on any of my charts and so I'm stopping to investigate it. Because I clearly don't have enough trouble on my plate as is.

If I ever got a chance to play cooperative with a friend or two I'd love to try using it to run a Star Wars game. I'm already running with an oversized dose of Star Wars theming/elements mixed into The Forge and its working very well.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 21, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Really glad I got my Starforged game going at last. I've completed two vows so far (and a few expeditions of different kinds) and I'm just loving it and the improvements/changes it made to IS rules. Currently trailblazing a path through space to an ancient graveworld to find an alien temple I had a vision of someone awaiting me at. Except the first leg of my expedition to chart the passage just stumbled upon a derelict human space station/settlement that isn't on any of my charts and so I'm stopping to investigate it. Because I clearly don't have enough trouble on my plate as is.

Well, I trusted in the oracles to make this relevant and interesting and it sure delivered. Rolled Action+Theme and Descriptor+Focus oracles and got "Support Enemy" "Strange Art". Since I was on the way to investigate some ruins, I decided this outpost was researching them itself, and belonged to the evil Iron Hegemony.

And I made this as a little bit of visual inspiration for the complications I just rolled.

"The Black Pillar", Precursor Mural/Carving Holopic; Unknown recording date/location

I love Ironsworn/Starforged's oracles. I do not love it making me late for work cause I'm so caught up in it though :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Giving this a bit of a bump with something I've been thinking about lately. Anyone got any random tables they particularily like for doing solo stuff? It can be from any source, not just things intended for solo play.

Aside from all the good stuff in Ironsworn/Starforged themselves, there is a fan supplement called Ironsmith that has a lot of expanded oracles. For non Ironsworn/Starforged, there is a cool thing for cyberpunk genre called Augmented Reality.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A pretty neat fan-made/third party expansion for Ironsworn just came out called Arcanum: High Magic for Ironsworn. I picked it up and its got some cool ideas. I had been watning to play a magic-focused Ironsworn game and was mulling on some spell casting rules. I might tweak it some and use it as a basis of what I want. I especially like the idea of building up your own Mage's Sanctuary/settlement.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

IIRC Shawn sidelined Sanctuary because of writer’s block and not coming up with anything he was satisfied with mechanically. Hopefully time and the influence of other creative minds poking at his work reinvigorates his muse for the topic post Starforged.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Starforged late pledger is now available for anyone interested.

https://starforged.absolutetabletop.com/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bundle of holding has a bundle up that includes Ironsworn (already free tbf) and Ironsworn Delve.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Starforged has one day left for late pledging if anyone has slept on that. The rulebook is nearly complete and is mostly just needing final editing passes and some artwork. The preview material has been all but complete for ages.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I’m taking a bit of a break from my Starforged game and instead I’m actually about to start up a game set in ironsworn’s Ironlands but using the rules improvements from Starforged.*

Just gotta make a few tweaks (reflavoring and modifying assets mostly) and it’s good to go.

Gonna play a magic user using Firebrand for generic magic, healer reflavored as herbalist (swapping the forensic science second ability for a bonus to resupply/gather info using herbalism), and the sprite companion gets heavily reflavored into a Raven familiar (though I’ll probably replace its third ability with something else if I ever buy it/think of something).

* Assuming I can ever figure out a good inciting incident…

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fat Samurai posted:

What are the main differences between the two versions? I'm listening to a Starforged podcast and besides the way you "level up" everything else seems 99% Ironsworn+Delve

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Off the top of my head:

* Combat now has its own variants on Secure an Advantage and Face Danger called Gain Ground and React Under Fire. Gain Ground even allows the option of marking progress on combat without (in)directly attacking your foe.
* This is because Combat is now Objective Focused instead of centered on defeating enemies (though defeating enemies can be an objective!) OFC this makes escaping a fight a bit more difficult as Escape should probably itself be considered an objective. You're supposed to set the objective's rank accordingly though. Escaping from a Star Destroyer and its TIES in your YT-1300? Dangerous. Destroying a Star Destroyer in your YT-1300? Epic or Extreme.
* a single move option vs Undertake a Journey (now called "Undertake an Expedition) called "Set a Course" for travelling to places when you have good information on the route to be travelled but the path or the destination still might be dangerous.
* Undertake an Expedition is not only for exploratory journeys, but also used for Starforged's equivalent of Ironsworn's Delve expansion.
* Minor wording changes to things like Initiative (now "In Control" vs "In a Bad Spot") and how momentum burning/reset works that hopefully are less confusing.
* Bonds system changed quite a bit. People now start as Contacts and you make progress towards your relationship before you try to forge a bond. Contacts are about as strong as Ironsworn Bonds while Starforged Bonds have more benefit and let you mark XP on your Bonds Legacy Track.

* Different set of assets. Some are evolutions of ones from Ironsworn, but a great deal are new and they're a bit more refined. Many IS assets had a third ability that was simply a minor improvement (EG: Add +1 and take +1 momentum on a hit) to one or both of the asset's other abilities. This is very rare in Starforged's assets and instead they just have another ability, the assets also feel a bit "stronger" for it in some ways.
* New and modified moves. Combat now uses new moves were are basically combat-specific versions of Face Danger and Secure an Advantage that have slightly different options.
* New XP system, instead of just gaining XP by completely Vows, you gain XP by filling out your legacy tracks, of which Quests (Vows) are one. The other two are Bonds and Discoveries (usually filled via Expeditions).
* Many assets have conditions that allow making progress on these Legacy Tracks
* Special "Deeds" Assets that can only be purchased once a specific Legacy Track has reached a certain level of progress (EG: the Homestead Deeds Asset represents founding or adopting a community as your Home, and can only be purchased if you've filled at least 4 boxes in the Bonds legacy track)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Delve was also in the Racial Equality bundle from a while back, if you got that.

Starforged meanwhile is undergoing final editing and was declared “art complete “ so it is on track for release.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unfortunately it will still be a little while until people who didn't (late) back can purchase it. Shawn is focusing on making sure production gets underway right now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shawn Tomkin posted:

---
**Update: What's the status of Starforged for those who missed the Kickstarter and late pledge?
Ironsworn: Starforged will be publicly released, likely in a few weeks from this post, once we have our storefront up-and-running. This storefront will enable PDF orders, plus preorders on Deluxe (physical) Edition books and cards.

At that time, Starforged Digital Edition (PDF only) will also be available through DriveThruRPG and Itch.io.

We will order some quantity of extra physical books and cards as part of our 1st printing for non-backers, although not certain how much and for how long they will be available. If you'd like to be notified when the game is officially released and preorders go live, you can submit your email via this web form: https://www.ironswornrpg.com/staforged-notify-me

Print-on-demand versions of Starforged will most likely not be available this year, but may appear at some future point.

Appreciate all of the interest! I'm eager to make Starforged more accessible, but have to deal with the realities of selling and shipping stuff in a 2022 world.

Feel free to tag me or DM with any questions.

Since at least one person commented in here about getting Starforged I figured I’d copy this from the Discord.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They’re talking about Delve, which is a separate, unrelated game from the Ironsworn: Delve expansion.

Just in case that wasn’t clear (cause I got confused a bit at first!)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What do you do for Blades in the Dark?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It should be very close now!

Shawn Tomkin, latest KS update posted:

Digital Edition Updates
We will have a few (very minor) updates to the Starforged Digital Edition rolling out in the next week or two. It's hard to say that something of this scope is 100% error-free, but I think it is in really great shape thanks to the hard work of the team and the helpful input from backers. Thank you to everyone who took the time to report an issue! You are very much appreciated.

In this (final?) revision, there are a few tweaks to assets and a couple of fixes in the books. Check the pending updates in the backer share change log if you're curious!

We'll also be working next month to deliver Starforged product keys to backers through DriveThruRPG. This won't be a requirement to access your Digital Edition rewards; it's just a convenience for those who prefer to keep things accessible through their DriveThruRPG libraries.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

After stalling out on my Starforged game due to creative block and also losing a whole, long session of journal due to a computer problem, I find myself wishing Shawn Tomkin would give us a first look at the Sundered Isles stuff. I've started having a big itch for swashbuckling of either the classic seafaring or cloud islands style.

I'm actually rather tempted to try to just kludge it using Starforged and play anyways, but part of me really wants to see what he's got in mind.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Shawn Tomkin posted:

Starforged Digital Edition: Public Release Coming Soon!
Speaking of DriveThruRPG, we are finalizing our prep for the pubic release of Starforged. Anyone who missed out on the Kickstarter and late pledges will have an opportunity to buy the Starforged Digital Edition through DrivethruRPG, Itch.io, and our own storefront. Limited quantities of the Deluxe Edition will also be available as preorders through our storefront.

Current target for the Starforged launch is the first week of May. We'll make a quick backer update when it goes live, and would absolutely appreciate any signal boosts.

One week or so until those of you waiting can get your hands on Starforged!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

This friday for anyone waiting to pick up Starforged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Runa posted:

Oh poo poo

Like the hounds, IT IS RELEASED!

https://www.ironswornrpg.com/product-ironsworn-starforged