Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Selecta84 posted:

So good how is the GM less coop mode in Ironsworn?

It's excellent, if you're playing with someone you gel with. One-on-one RP of any kind can be intense, and while it's less so with Ironsworn co-op because you're both looking to an invisible, imaginary third party a lot of the time, it's still not an experience you'd want to undertake with someone you're not on the same creative page with. If you do have access to someone like that, co-op Ironsworn runs beautifully. You'll develop your own style for it, but my experience was that we would essentially GM for each other's rolls, unless the person rolling had a strong desire to handle it themselves, with liberal use of the oracles (especially the Action + Theme combo) to give us that outside creative influence.

Edit: Also! Highly recommend using Roll20, The Augur, or one of the Google Docs / Excel-based character sheets and campaign trackers that live on the Ironsworn subreddit. Ironsworn generates a lot of information about the world, its inhabitants, and your movements through it; in solo play, you can log all of that at your own pace, to whatever degree of detail pleases you, but in co-op you want to make that process both more efficient and easier to share.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Very hype for Starforge, going to shamelessly steal setting bits from Starsector for my first playthrough. "The apocalyptic collapse of technology happened because we invented unbreakable DRM and lost all the codes in a black swan event" feels like it's going to fit rather well.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Been tempted to play some using the playtest materials but part of me keeps saying to wait. Well, that and the same struggle I've had with Ironsworn about struggling to think of a good inciting incident (start).

SkyeAuroline posted:

Eternally my stumbling block. Been hoping Starforged will make it a bit easier. Does that bear out with what you've seen of the game so far?

Oracles are your friend here. Start with something about your character you want to see in play - the asset you're most excited about, the bond you're most interested in (or in making), etc. - and then throw Oracle rolls at it until something clicks. From there, just refine it into something that has sufficient urgency and you're good to go.

Also, a technique I stumbled across on a playtest of an Ironsworn hack I'm working on: picturing an inciting incident, and then rewinding a short way and then working toward that point rather than beginning right there. I don't recommend using this all the time, but I found it helpful in getting myself more invested in the community I was starting out in, and with some of my starting bonds.

Example from actual play:

My inciting incident is a dream or vision sent by my missing-presumed-dead sister, showing a series of striking images and landmarks that will lead me to her. I recognize the last image: a pass northwest in the mountains, leading out onto the high ice. I need to reach it before the changing seasons close the pass entirely, and evade the pursuers my chief has sent after me for defying her to go to chasing a woman who has been declared dead.

I had intended to start right there, racing for the pass on stag-back with riders in hot pursuit, but a weak hit on Swearing an Iron Vow to reach the pass before the seasons closed it made me reconsider. I rewound a few days to see what would happen when I first approached my stern, hot-tempered chief for permission to leave the tribe right when it most needs its hunters. I played from there knowing I would leave, but learning more about these people and establishing the context in which I'd leave the tribe: would I have supporters who might help me get away? Would I be well-supplied when I departed?

(The answers turned out to be: yes, but also I had to take a hostage to get away, and extremely no.)

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Ironsworn is weirdly easy to reskin for other settings, and the core book even has advice for how to do this. I’ve been playing an Ironsworn game in a science-fantasy setting for a while now on and off as part of a way to playtest ideas, and it turns out to be just as happy to be tweaked and molded as its PbtA genetics would suggest. If you’ve ever made a custom move for one of those games, you can do it for Ironsworn.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

ape!!! posted:

Hopefully this isn't sacrilege to ask here, but how is the 'Forge coop and guided play? I like the idea of a more free form group game.

My experiences with two-player coop have been universally excellent. It is something you’ll want to do with a person / people you really are on the same creative wavelength with, and especially in the case of two-player, someone you get along with easily and comfortably: two-player gaming is often intense, but quite rewarding. Ironsworn hit the spot for my group because it has enough mechanical heft to get your teeth into it, while foisting GMing duties off on the weird invisible ghost the game created out of our brains and a set of random tables.

I’m currently trying to arrange for a three-player guided co-op Ironsworn game, so if our third player ever gets a break from his nightmarish work schedule, I’ll let you know how that mode goes.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It's also worth keeping in mind that you're not obligated to use oracle results: if inspiration doesn't strike after mulling it over for a bit, or if you just plain want something else, reroll!

For motivations, Action|Theme usually yields workable results, especially if paired with the NPC's Goals and Descriptors.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SkyeAuroline posted:

Settlement rules are something obvious I felt was missing from Ironsworn and Starforged (besides one asset, I think, in the latter). Good to see someone working on them, even indirectly, and a neat idea for a project overall.

The author feels the same way. A settlement expansion called Sanctuary was (and still technically is) planned for Ironsworn, and was supposed to be the first supplement put out, but Starforged leapt ahead in development for some reason. Shawn has mentioned wanting to get back to Sanctuary, but he's obviously Very Busy fulfilling Starforged at the moment, so it'll be a while.

My own elaborate Ironsworn hack desperately needs settlement rules, so I might pick up Arcanum just to have a look at those.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Only had time to skim the main rules today, but :aaaaa: this looks rad. I've never been interested the grand strategy SF board games because they're inevitably competitive, and spending 3-6 hours on a competitive game is not my jam, but 500+ hours in Stellaris plus "major influences are Babylon 5 and Alpha Centauri" demand that I check this out when I can really sit down with it. Awesome work, and thank you for the TTS version!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

SimonChris posted:

I was wondering if people could recommend some general RPG resources useful for solo playing, in particular with regard to procedural content generation? One can always use more random generation tables, encounter decks, etc.

I would like to start out by recommending Downcrall and Skycrawl, which are system-neutral sourcebooks for generating adventures in a mysterious underground world and/or among floating island kingdoms, with lost of tables for weird areas, characters, and items. Both can easily be adapted for Ironsworn or similar systems. I mean who couldn't use a random psychedelic mushroom generator for their Ironsworn campaign?

Anyone else have any recommendations?

I cannot recommend Veins of the Earth highly enough if you're doing anything focused on going underground, or deep time, or just want something to put you in the right mood for powerfully unsettling weirdness. Lot of quite evocative random generation content in the back, too. And yes, you'll see it advertised as a Lamentations of the Flame Princess book, but it isn't - there's no LotFP content in there, it isn't associated with Raggi, it's just got that tag due to being published at a time when saying you were LotF-compatible was a requirement for publishing in the OSR space, and now it's permanently branded that way on DriveThru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any good solo games out there about the development of a community or family over time? Essentially Centennial as a solo RPG is what I'm thinking here, or the solo version of The Quiet Year with more focus on specific people over generational time.