Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, hey, I had no idea there was a threat about this. Neat!

I made a two-page solo RPG once, years ago, and I've always wanted to go back to the idea, expand it a bit further, refine it some more. It's fine for what it is, but I never felt like it was 'complete'', so much as just 'playable', and it was only the restriction of "1 page of rules and 1 page of tables" that kept me from expanding on it any more. Elegance in rules and mechanics is really something I admire in games, though, and it seems like there's nowhere it's more important than solo RPGs, both because there's no one else to share the load/correct mistakes, and because you otherwise risk reaching the complexity critical mass of "why am I not just playing a computer game". Does this bear out with other people's experiences?

Semi-related question, is anyone making anything like the old Lone Wolf or Fighting Fantasy game books any more? I don't just mean new entries, I mean new IPs, and original/indie/heartbreaker takes on the genre of "CYOA book with dice rolling."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Have you tried the Fabled Lands gamebook series? That's my personal go-to suggestion for people looking for good/interesting CYOA w/ Dice Rolling books.
I haven't! Tell me about it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I saw a physical copy of Five Parsecs from Home while out and about the other day, and it seemed interesting, but I'm not experienced enough with solo RPGs to tell if it's what I want from a game or not. Can someone with some experience with it tell me about the pros and cons, as well as other alternatives that might catch me more if it's not what I want?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

Five Parsecs is a solo minis based wargame more than RPG. It’s a whole different animal really.
Are there other good open-world space solo RPGs? Like what X3 or Elite or Star Control feel like but with less real-time waiting around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Starforged just came out, by the same people that did Ironsworn.
I don't know anything about Ironsworn, either. Tell me about it?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Does anyone else have any experience with making their own solo RPG systems? I've got some ideas bouncing around in my head, but I'd love to know if there's any common mistakes or pitfalls that new designers tend to fall into.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

If you are writing a more crunchy system, walk through the core mechanical loop of the game without all the narrative bits. Is it frustratingly repetitive to roll so many dice or shuffle so many cards? Do you feel like you're actually playing a game with interesting outcomes or just a dressed up version of flipping a coin?
This is a very good piece of advice, thank you. It's a common pitfall for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Double-post to mention that I not only started working on my solo RPG, I found some old notes I started years ago for a similar project, so I won't even need to start from square one!

Working title is The Bequest, it's going to be a hybrid of a more traditional journaling game/roll-and-write, and a press-your-luck roguelike, with just a dash of Dwarf Fortress's Legends Mode thrown in, with each character's death (and there will be many) contributing to the history of the world as they try to accomplish a goal too grand for any individual alone.

What, no, this isn't at all inspired by my minor obsession with Legacy games, what would ever make you think that?

The tone is going to be a little more glib than I've made it sound with that rather dry description. Not quite openly a parody or pastiche, though; I tend to find excessive irony deeply, deeply exhausting, and prefer a certain level of sincerity and genuine love for the genre/medium in my heartbreakers.

Would folks be interested in hearing about/chipping in their opinions as I work on the development? I know from experience that feedback, positive or negative, keeps me more focused on projects than working in a vacuum and being accountable only to myself does.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 13, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

:justpost:

How does the Legacy bit work? Do you have an end goal for the entire set of characters? Do you go with something like Legacy: Life among the Ruins where you lead a family in "strategic mode" and then zoom in to particular characters for particular climatic scenes?
It's a persistent world, with both the layouts of specific dungeons and the geography of the overworld being established over time by multiple characters. There's also going to be a 'debriefing' of sorts after a character dies, with the player determining, partially via rolling on tables and partially by choice, how the world has changed because of their actions.

Also laughing at my own stupid jokes that I forgot I made...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

this is good poo poo, please keep posting about it!
Each of the races is named after a different classic board game.

Human-analogues, well-known for their skill in agriculture and their penchant for inventing games, brewing alcohol, and inventing games involving the consumption of alcohol, (and sowing seeds whenever and wherever they can, both literally and metpahorically) are kalamen, singular 'kalaman'. Though it's usually just shortened to 'man' or 'men'. Mancala. The dwarf-like community-focused individuals skilled in earthworks, strategy, and risk management are the gammon, singular gammack. They're stoutly-built, almost round, and covered in short, thick, soft fur. Backgammon. The goblin/kobold analogue are a reptilian species, fiercely individualistic, with brightly colored, glossy scales, a child-like penchant for mischief, and a reputation for giving disingenuous apologies. They're called the sauri. And the most long-lived of the races, tall, thin, and tree-like, with a regal bearing, they've been around longer than anyone can remember, but very few people can be said to actually understand them; they go by many names, but most just call them the Royal Ur.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Runa posted:

I like this idea a lot but I feel like I should probably tell you that gammon has some other definitions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(insult)
God dammit. Thank you. I'll have to come up with a different name for them.

Edit: They are now the Gambon (singular Gamback). If this turns out to be some kind of soundalike for an insult or slur as well, I'm going to cry.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 14, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, I think I’ve hammered out the main mechanic. 3d6, with one die of a different color. It’s roll-under, so higher stats and lower rolls are better. If your two dice that are the same match, you get to subtract 1 from your total. If all three match, it’s an automatic success.

Gives similar odds to a d20, but with a bell curve to make it less swingy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm gonna pick up AndrewB's Pencilquest, because I feel like experimenting with what I do and don't like about how that game does stuff will give me a lot more solid footing on how I want to proceed with TBQH.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I now have budding ideas for a parody roll-and-write/solo journaling game, about playing other journaling games. Might call it You May Cry If You Wish.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

Project ECCO just released today and I've played a few prompts already. I'm digging it so far! I was mainly drawn to it because I have a lot of empty dated planners to use up, but I think I'm gonna get some good enjoyment out of it. I'm more of a "discover the character as you write" kind of player so I'm having fun figuring out what kind of agent I want to be and what my Agency is like. I haven't really dug into the meat of the prompts yet, but I'm excited, I wasn't expecting the physical side of "you may have to destroy a page" but that's a neat feature.
I might have to pick up a day planner when I'm out today...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been thinking about doing Delve but using the rather hilarious stock of pixel art assets I've gotten from itch.io and the like over the years, rather than drawing. Would anyone be interested in seeing the results?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, I ended up using DawnLike, a set of Creative Commons roguelike assets, since it includes several kinds of dwarves already. I'm only a few turns in, needed to work out some kinks (such as deciding to build 'up' instead of down because of the 3/4th view).

I'd say it's working pretty well. Each room is 100x100, which is the perfect size for a 6x6 grid of 16x16 tiles and a 2px border. I had to learn very quickly to make due with what I had, and to not let myself waste too much time on inconsequential niggles like things not perfectly aligning to the grid, or my system for adding 'doors' into walls leaving floor lines. It's therapeutic, in a way, being able to just... let something be imperfect.

If I have a complaint with Delve so far, it's that it seems extraordinarily swingy. My very first draw was the King of Diamonds, which gave me an embarrassment of riches, but I was just as likely to breach into an underground river or gas chamber that could've wiped out my dwarves almost before I began, or a Two of Diamonds for a handful of old pennies. I've got a feeling like I'm going to recommend the game to anyone who's interested... with the caveat that you treat the rules like rough suggestions, including being very willing to mulligan away useless or game-ending cards.

...actually, I think I might have an idea for a mulligan system. Lemme chew on it a bit and I'll get back to y'all about it with the next update.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, my brain completely ran away with houserule ideas for Delve, which I... think is a good sign? It does scratch that Dwarf Fortress itch, which is nice.

GDE's brain posted:

Delve Variant Rule - Ancient Ruin
An optional houserule to provide luck mitigation during the early game.

No special setup is needed for this rule, and it can even be included into a game already in progress.

Whenever you draw a non-Ace card for any reason except simulating a dice roll, if you don't like the result, you can instead set the card aside and draw again. You can have up to three cards set aside this way at once. These set-aside cards are locked away, deep underground. The next time you draw A♥ or A♦ while exploring, apply the effects of all the set-aside cards to the room as if you'd drawn them while exploring. If this would create a seemingly impossible or contradictory result, such as with multiple Remnants or Natural Formations, use your best judgment on how to incorporate them into a single concept.

This rule ceases to function once the Jokers are shuffled into the deck.

I suspect this would also work with Anna Blackwell's other games, but having not played them yet myself, I can't say for certain.

I've also come up with a couple other house rules that I've added on, to add rooms that fill a niche I thought was missing, and to make some of the weaker buildings more competitive while also mitigating luck. Unless otherwise noted, these effects are added to the room's existing effects. Bolded/underlined text modifies or overwrites existing effects.

New Rooms posted:

Trade Depot - 20♥ + 10♦ (2 Grid Spaces)
A place to welcome foreign merchants who want to buy our poo poo.
This room counts as an Entrance for all purposes. For each Trade Depot you have, you may trade one additional time per turn.

Workshop - 15♥
This room is filled with the sounds of artisans hard at work making useless crap to sell to tourists.
When building a workshop, you must choose a purpose, Stonecutting or Gemcutting.
A Stonecutting Workshop allows you to trade 1 Resource (1♥) for 1 Trade Good (1♦), instead of half a Trade Good.
A Gemcutting Workshop allows you to trade 1 Trade Good (1♦) for 3 Resources (3♥), instead of two Resources.
Even if you can trade multiple times per turn (such as from Trade Depots), you can only use each effect once per Workshop per turn.

Modified Rooms posted:

Kitchen
Units allocated to a room connected to a kitchen get +50% STR during combat, regardless of their current location. Does not function for Golems, Cannons, or Skull Dwarves.

Overseer's Office
When exploring in the same column as this building, draw two cards and pick one. Shuffle the other back into the deck, then resolve the picked card normally. Jokers must be picked, if possible.

Shrine Room
Your first Shrine of Fortune increases the value of all ♥ and ♦ cards during exploration by 3 for the first shrine, your second increases them by an additional 2, and your third by an additional 1. Further Shrines of Fortune have no effect.

Pump
Liquid and gas cannot move through or damage this room. Pumps can be placed in existing rooms.

Barricades
Enemy units must destroy the barricade before being able to damage any other units in the room. Barricades that have been damaged or destroyed can be repaired after combat for half their building cost. If you choose not to repair a barricade, make a note somewhere of how much STR it has left. You can still repair it later if you choose to.

And I modified/replaced a couple of the Inventions as well because them being purely negative bothered me.

Modified Inventions posted:

Ace: It's alive! Your inventors have created a monster, a twisted amalgamation of metal and flesh. And yet... it can think. You can either respect it or condemn it. If you respect it, it takes over the Inventor's Lab as its lair, attacking anything that enters. If you condemn it, it seeks to escape by force, begin combat immediately. In either case, treat it as an Ancient Monstrosity with 200 STR but no traits. If it dies in any way except lava, gain 50♥ and 50♦.

Jack: One of your inventors has gone mad and disappeared into the hold, screaming something about “destroying us all”. The next time you draw a Black Joker, the madman's ravings prove to be true. Generate the Ancient Monstrosity and give it an additional trait, but delay its appearance until the end of your next Explore Phase (even if you don't explore that turn).

Edit:

The fort after twelve turns. Shout-out to me using my houserule to keep an underground lake from flooding my kennels, and then getting slapped in the face by karma when that same lake came back directly beneath the fresh new Overseer's Office I just built. This may or may not be why I created the 'draw two, pick one' houserule modification to the building.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 18, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought this was the Ironsworn Delve. I gotta pick this up to read at least.
It's currently $7 on Itch.io, but it's also been in a ton of charity bundles, so if you did any of those, check there first.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I might run a CYOA with this game both to practice my writing and pixel arting and to show off Delve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I had two incredible, horrifying, amazing galaxy brain ideas for a horror roll and write because World of Horror has been living in my brain rent free.

First idea was how to handle a variable timer without adding extra rolls to a system, a “doom track” kind of deal. The idea is simple. Rolling under your target deals you damage, rolling over your target succeeds but increases the Doom Track (or your Madness, I’m not sure which, but same difference in this case) by your overshoot.

And this next part I’m just going to paraphrase my train of thought.

Okay, cool, that’s a fun idea, but it’s way too swingy. Even 2d6 could suddenly lead to huge jumps in Doom. 1d6 would be better, but that’s very plain and hard to work with. Fate dice? Sicherman dice? Hm, possibly, but they’re kind of a specialty product, and it wouldn’t be reasonable to expect the average player to have those, unless they were to modify a normal die or something.

…five pipe on a d6 can be made into an X. Six pips can be made into an O. That’s 1d4 with two specialty sides that I can control the effects of based on the player’s abilities and what they’re doing. The player would have to choose whether to carry the burden of memory or carve a reminder into their face.

Of their dice. With a sharpie. But still!

And now I’m in the process of playing with the math of 2d4 and brainstorming ideas about what I want to do with the X and O. A simple critical hit/miss mechanic feels way too linear and flat and at that point I might as well just use d4s. Will report back with ideas later.

Fake Edit: My working title for the name of the modified die is a dO.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

will it have Kana, the best friend?

world of horror is so cool and a tabletop version sounds amazing
A system for allies will definitely be in the game. In fact, thinking about dice more, and I've decided on a core mechanic, plus also how I'll be handling allies. I also changed the name of the die to the dXO (pronounced 'de-zo'), since 'dO' isn't very descriptive, looks like 'd0' (de-zero), and trying to search for it in a document would give every appearance of the word "do" as well. Not great. dXO is more clear, more unique, and while 'DXO' shows up in a few places, '1dXO' is basically only used in very technical documents about human protein production.

The skill check system is very simple. Every check has a target number, a pass condition, a fail condition, and a single stat or modifier. You roll 1dXO. If you roll an X, you automatically fail. If you roll an O, you automatically succeed. Otherwise, add your roll to the stat/modifier, and compare it with the target number. If the total is lower than the target number, you fail. Equal or greater, and you succeed. However, if the roll was greater than the target, your actions were excessive, and you gain that many points of Madness. (This is bad.)

Skills and abilities can modify this, of course. For example, a positive effect might let you reroll Xs for a Madness cost, while a negative effect might make your Os count as excessive. But, at its core, it's exactly that simple, and everything else just adds on top of those rules, and bends them, rather than fundamentally changing them. At first I thought the auto-pass and auto-fail mechanics would be too linear, but the more I chewed on it, the more I realized it guarantees that things are never completely hopeless, but you're also never completely safe. That's exactly the kind of tone I want to go for.

Allies are extremely simple. Each has a passive effect, positive or negative, and for each ally you have (up to a max of 2), you get to roll an additional dXO, picking which one to use. However, the dXO you use for allies needs to be distinct in some way from the ones you roll yourself (color, size, etc.)... because if you use an ally's die, and gained even a single point of Madness as a result, instead of gaining it, that ally is gone permanently. This means you can carefully guard your allies, only using their aid when you're sure it's safe, or you can choose to sacrifice them to save yourself from a large Madness hit or a costly failure.

It's not a perfect system, but it's got an elegance to the design that tickles my brain in the right way, providing a lot of interesting tactical decisions without adding too much rule complexity or bookkeeping.

Edit: I'm also going to encourage players to scribble numbers and notes for their character in the margins of the notebook rather than using separate scratch paper, for that extra bit of 'book full of crazy ramblings' authenticity. Current working title for the game is A Blood-Stained Notebook. Ten nerd points if you figure out what classic eldritch horror short story that name is a reference to without looking it up.

Edit 2: Always have my best ideas when I’m lying in bed trying to sleep. Though, to be fair, this one came pretty directly from thinking about World of Horror again. Event determination is done with a deck of cards, as is standard with these sorts of games, with the core rules including 54 (52 + jokers) somewhat generic events. However, later expansions will each include a new stock of 54 new events themed in a more specific or focused way… and you can mix together as many different decks as you want, provided you have that many different decks of actual physical playing cards with distinguishable card backs.

“Wait, GDE, doesn’t that mean that by looking at the top of the deck, the player will be able to tell what theme the next event is from?” Yes! Yes it does. But instead of being a bad thing, it means the player knows vaguely in what direction to tilt their writing so that their next event doesn’t come across as a jarring change of genre.

Edit again: Possible character classes are each represented by one of the court cards (Jacks are simple, Queens intermediate, and Kings are complex), and the dark gods are each represented by one of the aces, so if you want to randomly decide what class and god to use, including every expansion you’re playing with, just draw cards from the top of the deck until you get your answers. (And then reshuffle.)

If I stop updating about my progress with creating this game, assume I’ve started writing the notes on the walls of my apartment with my own bodily fluids. :pseudo:

Edit again again: Figured out the stats I’ll be using and how you’ll be able to write them in a margin easily. Trying to remember your stats or what order they’re in? Just remember they represent your MEATS. Might, Endurance, Agility, Technical, Social.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 24, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Started working on the first rough draft for playtest rules. Slimmed down to four stats, Might, Empathy, Agility, and Technical, so that each suit could be associated with one stat, and because Might and Endurance weren't all that different. Finished a few of the character classes (some of the finished ones include The Paramour for the Jack of Hearts and The Hunter for the Queen of Spades), got extreme rough drafts for all four 'base' adversaries (Serial Killer, Horror from Beyond, The Beast, and Enemy Within), and the core rules aside from the event tables are all at least finished enough to be functional.

Now all I have to do is come up with 54 events for the Events Table and lay the groundwork for literally everything to come. No pressure.

Playtest Rules, The Adversaries posted:

Horror from Beyond (Ace of Clubs)
You’ve been having strange dreams lately, of a vast underwater city, filled with bizarre symbols and statues, and an impossibly-large creature rousing from its eons-long slumber.

Forbidden Knowledge: There are things man was not meant to know. Whenever one of your stats is increased above its starting value, gain 2 Doom.
The Stars Are Aligned: Your insignificance in the face of such a horrible reality weighs heavy on your mind. Double all Doom gained during the process of resolving Clubs events.

Enemy Within (Ace of Diamonds)
You keep waking up in strange places with blood on your hands and no memory of how you got there. What were you doing, and why don’t you remember…?

Don’t Know Your Own Strength: That wasn’t… that’s not what you meant to do! Whenever you choose an O result on a dXO, gain 1 Doom.
Strange Compulsions: Why did you say that? This isn’t like you. When told to make a choice during a Diamonds event, instead randomly determine which option to pick.

Serial Killer (Ace of Hearts)
Someone dear to you has gone missing. Your only clue is that the last time you spoke to them, they were nervous about an upcoming date with someone ‘way out of their league’.

Mounting Casualties: People are dying, and you can’t help but wonder if you could have done more. Whenever you discard an ally for any reason, gain 2 Doom.
Compassion Fatigue: And yet, the more it happens, the harder it becomes to care. Ignore all effects on Hearts events that would increase any of your stats.

The Beast (Ace of Spades)
You’re being hunted by something. What, you can’t be sure, but you’ve seen it in the corner of your eye, watching you from the shadows. Why can’t anyone else see it?
The Scent of Blood: You cut your finger while cooking, and felt the Beast’s gaze boring into you. At the end of each event, if any of your stats are below their starting value, gain 1 Doom.
I’m Not Crazy!: No one can see the Beast but you, and people are starting to question your sanity. While resolving Spades events, ignore your Abilities and those of your Allies.

Two are more overtly supernatural while two are possibly mundane, and all of them are deliberately broad enough concepts to work in a variety of settings. Once the core rules and events are finished (or at least workable), I'll start pecking away at more specifically-themed standalone expansions.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Aug 25, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

XenoCrab posted:

Now that I've put a few dozen hours into playing a number of systems solo* I've come to a few realizations:
1) It's fun! It may not be for everybody, but there is a lot of entertainment to be had
2) It takes some work, but the work is really play. Don't think of creating the backstory, setting, possible events, etc... as getting in the way of adventuring; just as a different phase of the game
3) Some form of journal is necessary. Rolling dice and moving characters around on an overworld or dungeon map is meaningless without context and keeping a record of events makes them real
4) Using regular pre-written adventures works well and is preferable to solo adventures, which tend to be too limited, but putting the time into world & campaign building is great too
5) Running both sides of a combat encounter (especially in a more tactical system like PF2e) is fun & rewarding as long as there is a way to balance the cognitive load (e.g., smaller party size)
6) Random tables can be very helpful, but having too many is a recipe for indecision
7) All of that money buying a bunch of rulebooks and adventures wasn't a waste! :v:

I've also tried running systems both physically and digitally and for PF2e I think using FoundryVTT is a huge advantage because it takes care of so much of the optimization, but for lighter systems using a pencil and paper and dice offers a great way to get away from the computer.

* Ironsworn, Pathfinder 2e & various OSR/NSR systems (OSE, Basic Fantasy, Cairn, Mork Borg, Scarlet Heroes, Broken Shores)
Huh. I might do something like that with LANCER, since all my attempts to actually get a campaign running have gone bust.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chakan posted:

Yeah, you want gamebooks. There are a lot of them, but everyone thinks of Fighting Fantasy first because it’s one of the oldest series and there’s a lot of them. One of the authors, Steve Jackson, did a series called Sorcery that retains your character through the books, and everyone says it’s good.
I still have a lot of nostalgia for Lone Wolf's frequent jank and occasionally batshit writing.

You can still play them online, if you want to give some classic 80s RPG nonsense a go, from the days when people played Talisman for fun.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 2, 2024

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Chakan posted:

This is great, thanks! I taught Talisman at a few conventions when FFG released their edition a while ago and I still distinctly recall some people learning 3rd ed and yearning for the old days of 1st ed, lol. I love some RNG jank more than most, but woof that game sometimes.
I admit I’m biased, I like seeing old, flawed systems in general, especially ones made by a single person mostly left to their own devices. Stuff from before there was really any established best practices is always fascinating to me, so the flaws add to the experience instead of taking away from it. I don’t know how the experience will be for someone who doesn’t have that perspective.

(It’s not a coincidence that I’m also in love with Gen 1 Pokémon and other janky retro RPGs.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean, it'd be a pretty good one, and it's not like we're ABOVE sex jokes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still need to finish a playable prototype You May Cry If You Wish, my joke-turned-not-joke bad solo journaling game about playing bad solo journaling games.

Also my serious one, A Bloodstained Note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Actually, 'you may cry if you wish' WOULD be a hard as gently caress line in a horror game...