Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I probably should've kept an eye on Starforged since a friend and I have been playing an IS co-op game and we probably would want to backport most if not all of these changes.

Guess I'll pick it up when it goes live on DTRPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still annoyed with myself at missing out on the late backer KS

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chglcu posted:

(snip)

Hopefully that made any sense at all. Probably need to think this through a bit more sober though.

Oh my, this is an unenviable position to be in.

When choosing to solo roleplay you're effectively choosing to apply a bit of structure to a creative writing exercise, so the actual mechanical benefits of choosing a system is really more a matter of personal flavor. "What do I find personally engaging on a crunch level?"

The thing Ironsworn does is adjudicate target numbers for your move rolls to a randomized difficulty and give a discrete structure to your character's progress. Everything else is player-driven narrative-forward design, which is largely system agnostic and could be backported to other games without a lot of difficulty. (It is also obviously descended from pbta in terms of broader design) This accommodates the creative writing element while also offloading certain key decisions away from the player, if you want to make the narrative feel more organic as you write it. Now if you hate "metagaming" (I generally consider the elements you describe as being a form of player resource management within a game rather than an external means of influence, and this I assume must be a cultural difference of perspective) then any system not built with assumptions for solo roleplaying are, effectively, going to be metagamed by you in the process of playing out of sheer necessity since they don't offload those key decisions to an impartial source. You will always be metagaming your solo roleplay because you have to determine the challenges and consequences you face, but you will be doing so even more if you're not using a system to prompt you out of your subconscious safety.

The thing you have to ask yourself isn't just "what system supports the content I want?" You will be your own GM and you can do what you like wrt content no matter what the game says. Really, it's more a matter of "what am I hoping to get out of this game?"

From your fairly strict criteria, it does sound like you want a solo roleplaying experience that is hard mechanics-forward and crunchy, like a litRPG that you write as you experience it. If no system exists that allows you to have that experience rules as written, the onus is upon you to modify or create one that suits your purposes.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 13, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Really, the matter of what system to use in solo roleplaying isn't a question of how to do it, it's a matter of how much GM burden are you willing to take on to get the experience you want.

Solo RPGs are a very small, niche space and are rules-light as a matter of course. As a solo RPG is functionally a creative writing aid, they are designed with that principle in mind.

Converting a crunchier conventional ttrpg to solo play will necessarily demand more work to accomplish similar end results. If the work isn't being put in by the author of an oracle you're using, then you yourself will have to provide.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

You can always use something like Ironsworn for narrative and out of combat stuff then switch to your favorite crunchy combat system when needed. Works just fine as long as you keep the various stats in relative parity.

I'm not gonna lie this thought exercise is getting me pretty excited to do just that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Delve was also in the Racial Equality bundle from a while back, if you got that.

Starforged meanwhile is undergoing final editing and was declared “art complete “ so it is on track for release.

Oh poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Unfortunately it will still be a little while until people who didn't (late) back can purchase it. Shawn is focusing on making sure production gets underway right now.

Aw heck lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh drat, just a couple weeks to go huh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ubersandwich posted:

Man, I'm kicking myself I didn't drop 20 on the Kickstarter for Starforged, because I am really jonesing to play.

It does look like the PDF version is going on sale soon, so I may not have to wait too much longer.

Hell yeah late to the Starforged KS crew

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This friday for anyone waiting to pick up Starforged.

Oh poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't have any issues with IS/SF's central vow system because it's literally just asking you to come up with a strong character motivation.

And this can be anything. You could go for a heavily plot-forward vow. You could have a long term ambition. You could have a fairly simple motivation that's made more urgent by context.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In my IF game I went out of my way to make the Ironlands a place where survivors of many different cultures wound up after calamity overtook the Old World

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

sasha_d3ath posted:

1,000 Year Old Football Gag

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Each of the races is named after a different classic board game.

Human-analogues, well-known for their skill in agriculture and their penchant for inventing games, brewing alcohol, and inventing games involving the consumption of alcohol, (and sowing seeds whenever and wherever they can, both literally and metpahorically) are kalamen, singular 'kalaman'. Though it's usually just shortened to 'man' or 'men'. Mancala. The dwarf-like community-focused individuals skilled in earthworks, strategy, and risk management are the gammon, singular gammack. They're stoutly-built, almost round, and covered in short, thick, soft fur. Backgammon. The goblin/kobold analogue are a reptilian species, fiercely individualistic, with brightly colored, glossy scales, a child-like penchant for mischief, and a reputation for giving disingenuous apologies. They're called the sauri. And the most long-lived of the races, tall, thin, and tree-like, with a regal bearing, they've been around longer than anyone can remember, but very few people can be said to actually understand them; they go by many names, but most just call them the Royal Ur.

I like this idea a lot but I feel like I should probably tell you that gammon has some other definitions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammon_(insult)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A lot of solo RPGs as we know them are, functionally, writing exercises with the mechanics of the system there to basically nudge you in different directions. Some are sufficiently robust enough that you could outright play them in a more conventional format, with multiple players and one taking the role of the GM, like Ironsworn/Starforged. But gamebook or CYOA style solo rpgs are uncommon, mostly due to the amount of work required to actually write them. They do exist, however. Speaking of which,

Angrymog posted:

There's more complicated gamebooks than the Choose your own adventure series.

Have a look at Fabled Lands - , it's an open world series of game books.

There's a free java version, and an official adaptation on steam, of you can get the dead trees from Amazon.

I think it's rather telling that the most convenient way to play the Fabled Lands series of gamebooks is to play their videogame ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Did they ever get past book 3 for the official ports?

Also yeah more gamey games are great.

I was curious and looked around, for the steam version the base game has books 1, 2, 4, and 5, the latter two having been added across early access. There's a book 6 DLC that's already out and, judging by dev posts, the next DLC will cover both books 3 and 7 at the same time. Which makes sense, seeing as how the books cover adjacent regions.