Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What are the main differences between the two versions? I'm listening to a Starforged podcast and besides the way you "level up" everything else seems 99% Ironsworn+Delve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks! I pledged yesterday becaus I got Delve in some ridiculous itch.io bundle or other and felt they deserved the money, but I haven't have a chance to read the rules yet.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

* Special "Deeds" Assets that can only be purchased once a specific Legacy Track has reached a certain level of progress (EG: the Homestead Deeds Asset represents founding or adopting a community as your Home, and can only be purchased if you've filled at least 4 boxes in the Bonds legacy track)

This one is nice. I have an Ironsworn campaign going where my character founded a city, and was struggling with ways to gamify it a little bit more.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What I enjoyed of The Bad Spot is how unobtrusive the dice rolls are, and how well edited it is. I've checked some other streams/podcast and rolling, interpreting and ehhh ahhhing takes up 50% of the time.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

After finally reading the Starforged rules, I'm tempted to retcon my Ironforged campaign a bit and take my dude up to space, Wizardry VII style. It would be pretty easy, actually, and now I'm wondering whether I've wanted to do this for a while because I love the barbarians with laser guns trope.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Finally got the space in my new apartment to justify gathering more junk, so I've printed the Ironsworn, Delve and Lodestar books. Going to have a go at world generation and a couple of sessions this afternoon. I can't deal with PDFs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I've recently gotten a bunch of Pendragon stuff, including the Great Pendragon Campaign and I'm thinking about running it solo with Ironsworn. Some of the assets are pretty easy conversions: most of the combat assets are one-to-one, something to represent the prestige of a Knight, Bannersworn is a straight Knight of the Round Table, a Courtier Path for all those banquests and court scenes, etc...

I'm having trouble with both the multigenerational stuff of Pendragon, and with the Demesne stuff. I guess I could just retire characters when feeling like I've reached a good stopping point, but any tips on how to manage a castle/region in Ironsworn?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Re: Great Pendragon Campaign via Ironsworn.

Thanks for the answers! Didn't have time this weekend to start the game, but I did check some of the resources you posted and have been thinking a bit on how to create a character, hold lands and retire people.

Character stuff is easy. Bonds with your family and your liege mimic the Passions from Pendragon, maybe add the Bonded Path so you can become sorta Inspired by it. Empowered path for being a knight, weapon of choice or Ironclad to represent the combat skill you're good at, etc... Vows fit very well with a knight mentality, so they are a good way to keep pushing the campaign forward and give more freedom than the GPC gives. Put a background vow like "be the bestest knight ever" and you can drop all the scripted campaign stuff and other incidental knighting into it (so if you go on a battle, that's just part of your duties and you don't have to Swear a Vow for that and balloon your experience, or have a lot of one-shot Vows).

For Manors: Someone in here is playing the campaign, and I like their approach. Basically:

- One of your assets is the Manor. It has a prosperity and a security rating. You can Sojourn there and get more supplies easier, depending on their prosperity. I'll tweak this a bit and add two other "skills" to purchase, like other assets.
- Once a year, you can have a Scene Challenge to increase one of the ratings. You decide at the start of the year, and resolve at the end.
- Once a year, there may be an event in the manor that may drop one of the ratings, resolved in another Challenge Scene.
- Once a year, there may be a Call to Arms, either because the Campaign has a battle planned or because of a random roll. You either use your characters stats or the Security stat of your manor. They use a Scene Challenge as well, but probably could be reduced to a single Battle roll if it's a skirmish or something.
- They give fixed probabilities for each event (i.e. 60% chance of a Call to Arms), but I'd rather ask the Oracle depending on the campaign situation (there should be less raids during the Tournament period, for example)

A year would play like this:

- Decide how to improve the Manor.
- If there are any adventures for the year do them, wherever on the year they may fall.
- Call to Arms, or scripted campaign battle. As a reference point, call to arms probably happens in Summer.
- Character stuff. Work on whatever vows you have. This is your dude adventuring on their own for a bit, if they have the time. Some years are packed, and it makes no sense to embark on an extended adventure and also be in a battle, at court and supervising the construction of a new fort at home. These three may may move around, depending on the narrative, or if you are wounded, or whatever.
- Resolve the improvement on the Manor you decided on at the start of the year. This is supposed to be an all-year effort.
- Threat Event on the Manor.
- Christmas Court

Regarding sons and families and changing characters: I think I'm not going to set a mechanic for it. Just retire or die or whatever and then change the point of view. So if the main character gets killed, or maimed, or marries into huge tracts of land and is too busy (or rich) to go on adventures, or just hits 50, that's the moment I change characters. I may use Pendragon stuff to control how the family develops (deaths, births, etc...), or just Oracle my way through it, whatever is easier.

How is it looking so far?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also a pet dragon :v:. Kraken.

This is something that fits very well in the Arthurian myth, right? Right?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 2, 2023

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Vagabong posted:

I do have a question, which is how do people deal with their own ideas running ahead of the system? I get that you're supposed to let the oracles and dice rolls take you unexpected, but occasionally I find myself with an idea of how things will play out in a given situation and then feel like my flows been disrupted when it doesn't go as envisioned.

Do you mean using the oracles for ideas regarding the story or failing a roll? If it's the first one, I'd go with whatever idea you have that fits.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

Would folks be interested in hearing about/chipping in their opinions as I work on the development? I know from experience that feedback, positive or negative, keeps me more focused on projects than working in a vacuum and being accountable only to myself does.

:justpost:

How does the Legacy bit work? Do you have an end goal for the entire set of characters? Do you go with something like Legacy: Life among the Ruins where you lead a family in "strategic mode" and then zoom in to particular characters for particular climatic scenes?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

excited! That's gonna be a buy

It's included with Starforged, IIRC.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Runa posted:

A lot of solo RPGs as we know them are, functionally, writing exercises with the mechanics of the system there to basically nudge you in different directions. Some are sufficiently robust enough that you could outright play them in a more conventional format, with multiple players and one taking the role of the GM, like Ironsworn/Starforged. But gamebook or CYOA style solo rpgs are uncommon, mostly due to the amount of work required to actually write them. They do exist, however. Speaking of which,

I think it's rather telling that the most convenient way to play the Fabled Lands series of gamebooks is to play their videogame ports.

To be fair, that's basically every gamebook ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm taking a look at the Sundered Island rulebook. What's the difference between the "starting" ship and the "real" ship? I don't really see the point of it, specially if you're supposed to start already in command.