Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Just in case anyone wants to score 87 solo RPGs of variable quality for the outlandishly low price of tenbux, the Solo But Not Alone bundle is currently live on itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

SkyeAuroline posted:

Log of the Grayswandir is neat for sure.
But yeah, I think that's the ultimate disconnect - though I included them in the OP I don't really consider journaling games "games", they're just packs of writing exercises with a usually haphazard connection between prompts.

That haphazard connection has killed a few solo games for me as well. I think if I ever design another one I'll do so using something like Fallen London's 'token' system, which offers a minimal-bookkeeping way of recording how the player has acted and what has happened thus far, reducing the likelihood that you'll get really left-field poo poo.

...the more I think about it the more I do want to design another one, just to put this kind of thing into practice.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

aldantefax posted:

Are there any solo RPGs which deal more with interpersonal relationships than they do with procedural task resolution?

I imagine there are loads. The One is entirely about relationships, for example, and I'm pretty certain some (most?) of the solo lyric games focus on personal relationships rather than doing stuff.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Cage of Sand is a very neat solo-but-playable-with-others game about being stuck in a deadly time loop. It uses tarot cards to describe characters and events, and the structure of the game reinforces the structure of the loop and the gradual realisation that something is wrong.

It also comes with a macro-enabled Excel sheet that you can play the game in, which is very well-executed.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I don't know about those games in particular, but streaming solo RPGs is definitely a thing some people do.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I have also started playing 1000YOV. If you want to read along as I play the Google Doc is here.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Thousand Year Old Potato has finished.

The ending felt kind of abrupt and unsatisfying, I think because I didn't look ahead so I didn't know how close I was getting to the end of the prompts. If I was going to play it again I'd be able to pace things better. (And I think I probably will play it again, but not immediately.)

But that said, going back to the start and reading it again makes it clear just how much this man has lost over the ~500 years of play. It was certainly affecting, watching him lose or destroy precious things because he just sort of... stopped paying attention. And I kind of want to know what happened to the other immortals -- they sort of wander in and out of his life and he only gets these snapshots of them. Maybe when I play again I'll take on one of them and try to tell their story.

It's a good game!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Anyone else here heard of The Machine?

It's a solo RPG that you send to someone else when your character inevitably meets a bad end, so their character can 'find the journal' and meet their own bad end, with the idea being that over time it builds up into a sort of quasi-horror art object.

I've just finished my run on a new game, and I'm looking for somebody to post the journal to. Anyone in this thread up for it?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

doctorfrog posted:

But what’s great is that mistakes don’t matter, just play through and move on with the story. I never got the impression that ttrpgs were chill about such things—they seem be very serious and lawyerly to me —but Ironsworn kinda is.

I think solo RPGs especially benefit from a looser approach to the rules, since you're not cheating anyone if you decide that no, you don't want things to go that way. It's why all the solo games I write have a bit at the beginning explicitly giving people permission to do that.

(I'd argue that how seriously any given game takes its own rules varies widely, but that's a topic for another thread entirely.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you're getting into solo games and you like creating artefacts of play, Wreck This Deck might be up your street.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ShutteredIn posted:

I’m working on my next game, which is a hack on the hedgehog game but you’ll play a goblin trying to sell/scam Adventurers with random stuff he collects in a dungeon.

Having played three incarnations of almost this exact guy in other RPGs this is extremely interesting to me.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Russian Blue breed of cat? Although they've always seemed more grey to me.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Do you have a Tabletop Simulator mod for it? I don't have Vassal or the space to lay out a P&P game but TTS lets me test out all sorts of stuff.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In terms of money, sure. In terms of time and effort, no.

And like, right now I have exactly 0 spare time or effort. In better times things would be different, but now is not better times.

E:

Mr.Misfit posted:

I...I don't. How complicated is building one for it?

Um. Variable? I've set one up with custom cards in the past and it was fairly straightforward. I think custom tokens and minis are trickier, and you can disappear down a rabbithole of scripting and detail work if you want.

Double E:

Of course now I'm looking through it and thinking of spending the time I don't have making a TTS mod for it myself.

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 22, 2021

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Well, shout when it's done. The absolute least I can do is give it a couple of playthroughs now I've made you put the work in.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Mr.Misfit posted:

I can't promise it'll work, but here's to hoping:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2608747806
Good luck and I hope you have fun =)

Thank you, that's very kind of you ^_^

It doesn't work! I think you need to upload the various images to Imgur so that when I load the module my version of TTS can grab them. Right now the links seem to be pointing to files stored on your local Dropbox which I don't have access to.

Sorry to just hand off more work, but it does look pretty good and I'm eager to give it a go!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Turn 2 civil war. :negative:

It's going to take a while to play through three ages, but I'm liking what's going on so far.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Cross-posting from the Kickstarter thread because it might be of interest to people here:

potatocubed posted:

This sounds absolutely fascinating and has three days left.

Remember August is a game where the creator will spend a month writing you letters -- real letters if you're in the US and you're willing to fork out for them -- and between them and your own work you'll create a unique memento/art object/thing.

It's inspired by This Is How You Lose The Time War and other things I've not heard of, but I'm absolutely sold.

Also, I've just released another solo game (although this one you can play with others, if you like) called See Issue X. It's about superhero stories and accumulated backstory cruft.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Oops, almost forgot: the Solo But Not Alone Bundle 2 is live at the moment. It's 102 games for $10 covering God only knows how many genres and topics (I believe there's a spreadsheet that comes with it) and it's for a good cause.

(I have a game in there but I'm not getting any compensation from it because it's a charity thing.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've heard good things about Beak, Feather, and Bone in the map-building genre but I haven't played it myself.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you're after 2d paper minis (or tokens for VTTs) I'm a big fan of Trash Mob Minis. They're cartoony and a little crossover-happy/fourth-wall-breaky in places but I like that sort of style, so.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I've not played it, but Twilight Song maybe?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
A guy on Twitter did a thing called Solovember last year, where he played a whole bunch of solo games in November, and he's doing it again this year and is inviting other people to join in. Thought folk in this thread might find it interesting.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Played my first Solovember game last night with an old favourite: Thousand Year Old Vampire.

It didn't quite gel like my first playthrough, but Eloise (later Lorelei) was an interesting character to inhabit for an evening. An artistically-inclined peasant from the south of what-would-become-France, she was turned by an older vampire trying to get back at her fiance for reasons that never surfaced. She killed her mother and sister -- the latter who she raised as a vampire -- then spent a hundred years as a living weapon after being mind-controlled by a different older vampire, which pretty much permanently hosed her up by making 'kill it' her default solution to any and all problems. Multiple times she was discovered by a mortal who chose to try and help her, and she ended up reflexively killing them when they made some tiny mistake.

Just as she was starting to rediscover her old, artistic self, her sister (who had never gotten over being turned back in c. 1000 AD) sealed her in an iron box and sank her into the sea. Game over.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
For Solovember I played Story of a Story, a game about being a story which changes with retelling over time. (purchase link)

I rate it 'ennnnnnnh'. I don't really regret playing it, but I wouldn't play it again.

It did make me think about what, exactly, I want from a solo RPG, though, which was a thought worth having. Ultimately I want a journalling game with prompts, where the prompts introduce constraints that I wouldn't otherwise think to impose on myself, but where they're also open enough that I can write the outcome without needing to squeeze it into a pre-set shape.

SoaS has prompts, and it has enough of a premise that I could actually start -- which puts it squarely above the halfway mark on the list of solo RPGs I've looked at, make no mistake -- but the prompts just didn't engage me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I feel like the oracles in Ironsworn and Starforged are the real selling point of those games. The mechanics are fine and good, but the concepts that the oracles can throw at you are gold.