Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I just ordered my copy of Ironsworn which should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxJ3exjfgI

This playthrough really sold me on it and I wanna give it a try.

A friend of mine is really into Viking settings for RPGs and I think he would get a kick out of it.

So good how is the GM less coop mode in Ironsworn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Gameko posted:

Probably significantly better than solo. It’s nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of.

If you’re not used to narrative style games you should read up on Apocalypse World and PbtA systems. The big focus is on player agency and the moves they do shape the narrative, and thus the world. If the players don’t take an active role in the game then the engine fails. Nothing happens.

Traditional RPers can get hung up on the style if they’re used to a DM spoon feeding them. Some players just don’t like it because it requires everyone to buy in to the fact that they’re creating a shared narrative and there’s nothing to stop That Guy from gaming the system. A friend of mine once described it as, “meta-gaming by the rules.”

Thanks.

My buddy is very much into shared narratives so getting him in the mood should be easy.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Kestral posted:

Ironsworn stuff

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I finished reading your Bastian playthrough today and it was really entertaining and usefull for getting a feel for the game. It also convinced me to order thee Delve supplement.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So my buddy and I started our own Ironsworn campaign and we are having a ton of fun.

Really great system for a coop game and the delves are really really great.

Little question that came up today and that we couldn't find an answer for:

If you make the Delve move for the group and you have to Face Danger or Endure Stress/Harm, does only the player who made the role suffer the consequences or does the other player also have to roll, too?

Like we tried to get past an obstacle as a result of my Delve roll and I had to Endure Stress. Does my buddy have to Endure Stress as well or just me?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I’d have to check but off the top of my head did you friend use Assist an Ally? Does it make narrative sense?

Edit: from Aid your Ally in the rule book :

Thanks.

No, there was no Assist action, but we both had to traverse a danger after my Delve move, resulting in the Face Danger and Endure Stress Move.

Narratively it would made have sense without the Assist Move so we try to keep that in mind next time.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Comstar posted:

I feel I missed this earlier, but how does Ironsworn work and how do you play it with 2 players?

We made 2 characters, each with an individual starting vow (I try to take down my old assassins guiild, my buddy wants to get the ashes of his ancestors to the Frozen Wastes) and then worked out an inciting vow (stopping guild activity on our small island) to get going.

Created our starting village, some NPCs and so on. Some lore along the way.

After that we played of each other, each one playing the different NPCs, describing the scenes we encountered and so on. Taking turns with the travel, camp and delve moves.

It really is a ton of fun to bounce off ideas off eachother. And it all feels so natural, really digging this system

And the Delve mechanics are so good. Yesterday we tried to locate a Druid Circle in a Wild Tanglewood and stumbled upon a soul collecting Hollow and a Trog Invasion, peskering the druids. I took down their leader but now the tribe has marked me for vengence. It was amazing

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 14, 2021

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Oh yeah, Shawn's thread talking about Secure an Advantage reminds me of one of the biggest nice changes Starforged makes. Namely to Secure an Advantage:

Ironsworn SaA:

Starforged SaA:

IMO, use the Starforged version, even for Ironsworn. It actually makes the move a LOT better. RAW in IS SaA is often a mechanically weak move to perform. A Strong Hit on it is about as difficult as most other moves and its return is relatively weak considering you could've just made another move and scored an actual success (usually gaining +1 Momentum in the process). This is ofc focusing on mechanics benefit rather than narrative sense, but its still a nice change IMO.

Oh, Iike that one.

Could this change bei used with Aid an Alley in Coop?

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 21, 2021

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Sounds pretty good.

Thanks

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Oh man, too bad I'm not really into Sci-Fi settings :-(

But I mean it sounds like this could be done in Ironsworn with the existing rules, right? Sounds like the environmental dangers from Delve without the countdown.

We are facing a group of raiders sieging a town next time. Maybe we could try the more objective based approach

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

That does indeed sound pretty neat.

Some documentation would be appreciated.

Our next session will be on Monday so I have some time to think about our approach concerning the raider situation

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 21, 2021

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Baron von der Loon posted:

What I was wondering is how you guys generally play these games? I've been using my tablet + pen to keep track of the character sheet, write down what events are going on, and using a simple PDF with random numbers to roll the dice. Been also experimenting a bit with using RPGMaker while playing IronForge to quickly draw out maps and set down tokens to indicate what the situation is, instead of writing everything down, as I noticed it slowed things down immensely. Also came across The Augur yesterday which I'm considering using to replace my regular game.

For our Ironforge campaign we are using Roll20. The character sheets are amazing for the moves, progress bars, sites, etc.

My characters writes down everything in the bio section of the sheet and I share it with my buddy.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Bought 4 against Ragnarök and look forward to it.

How long does a campaign usually take?

And any good, short and cheap (or free) journal solo rpgs you guys would recommend. I wanna try one of these and see if they are my cup of tea.

Lighthouse at the Edge of the Universe sounds nice and I'm waiting for it to go live at itch.io but maybe there is something small and light to try before that?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

ape!!! posted:

Hopefully this isn't sacrilege to ask here, but how is the 'Forge coop and guided play? I like the idea of a more free form group game.

My buddy and I are having a blast with coop Ironsworn. We have been gaming together for 20 years now so we have good chemistry and know which ideas and oracle interpretations will work.

The way our story unfolds so far feels pretty natural and the oracle has an eerie ability to keep the story cohesive, yet surprising.

Right now we are trying to help some bandits to get their city back and we are embarking on a bunch of side quests to gather support, equipment and weaken the city.

Gonna try to implement the new objectiv based combat from Starforged for the climactic final battle.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone played English Eerie? Sounds interesting

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So I finished my first 3 days of the first scenario from English Eerie, a journaling solo RPG with a focus on old English horror literature.

I like it so far. You play with deck of cards, revealing dangers to you, a NPC or other obstacles. Clues can also be found. The third and sixth day always end with major turning point in the story, culmulating in the end of the story on day 10. Depending on your willpower you get a more or less favorable ending.

I like it so far. The NPCs have enough traits to make them compelling from the get go and the story flows really well.

Really looking forward to play it a bit more and to test out some more journaling games.

Downloaded 3 from itch.io and I hope The Lighthouse at the Edge of the Universe comes to the platform soon cause it sounds pretty good (missed the Kickstarter unfortunately)

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

We are developing so much lore during our sessions, it's awesome.

Same with our characters. It just comes up during play

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Use Roll20.

The character sheet ist amazing and your only need the map and world stuff.

Moves, assets, oracles, etc are all on the sheet, including a dice roll button on every move and oracle.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Maybe the Powerful Elder Wolf could be a more of a spirit warden?

Maybe the NPC is certain that a loved one died unrightfully and the wolf is guarding the spirits of the ones that died in the area around here?

So slaying the wolf might set the spirit free and he Ironlander can try to bring his loved one back?

Just an idea off top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Viridiant posted:

I've been trying Four Against Ragnarok after seeing it recommended in this thread and it feels a bit too easy? Like once you start to level a lot starts to feel very doable and I'm feeling like my characters are only going to start dying through things that instantly kill you via bad dice rolls. Combat seems too manageable.

I have this one lying around on my desk for 4 month or so now I have yet to start a game.

Care to elaborate a bit more on your session?