Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Warning on Four Against: the creator will publish your stuff if you submit it, and one of the third party content creators definitely has a magical realm to show you. Bouchard, I think? A lot of it is fine and then you get big monster boobs, and monster milk, and monster cheese.

Well, figure you get monster cheese from monster milk and monster milk would obviously come from... you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

I recently ordered a physical copy of Temple of Elemental Evil from drive through RPG (the actual module, not the old boardgame). I was planning to run it solo with a pregen party, rather than just read it. I was planning on putting it in my campaign world, and this should be more fun than just reading it for prep :v:

You might want to check out Scourge of the Slavelords and Queen of the Spiders if you can find them. You can run a "super-campaign" going from 1st level pissants dealing with that moathouse all the way up to fighting Lolth on her home plane.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

Ive actually been doing exaclty that! I have a hex map I've filled with dungeons from classic adventure modules, and every week the party goes off and raids a dungeon (there is a Dragonball hidden in dungeons around the world, it's pretty much a Dragonball season 1 campaign :v:). But between the weeks I am running three rival parties as solo games, who are also hunting for the dragonballs. I do it real time, so if there is a week between sessions the rival parties make a week of progress. I started everyone off with Village of Homlett combined with the DCC adventure Sailors on the Starless sea. They have defeated Ghost Tower of Inverness and a few Basic Fantasy dungeons so far.

Unfortunatly Queen of the Spiders is not available print on demand :( I have Scourage of the Slavelords and Dungeons of Dread though :twisted: I printed out Decent into the Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow, and Queen of the Demonweb Pits from pdf and put them all togeather in a binder. I am for sure putting a Dragonball in the underdark.

What's the point of the Underdark if there aren't at least a few dragon testicles in it?

Now that would be a campaign. The party is hired by demented fantasy Bob Barker to spay/neuter the dragons to prevent overpopulation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Potsticker posted:

Been doing a bit more 5 Parsecs and still enjoying it, especially how codified everything is between missions. It feels much more like a game than a storytelling exercise and I feel like I haven't seen too much of that outside of things that hew closer to CYOAs or IF and such and I was wondering what other solo games people have experience with that are more of this type of thing. Something like Fabled Lands is I think too far in one direction, while Ironsworn too far in the other. Though, I do enjoy both of those as well.

One thing I really liked about Fabled Lands was the "your quest is to do whatever the gently caress you want whenever you choose to do it." I know some people were a little throw by that after a bunch of "You are Hero Protagonist. Your quest is to find the Macguffin of Macguffiny to save the village of Setting from the Dark Lord Plot."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I really love the sort of open nature of Fabled Lands. As far as CYOA goes, it's on the top of my charts. I owned two of the books myself when I was younger and would trade/borrow a friend who had the third. If I was pick one thing in particular that impressed me was things that progressed without you doing anything (other than repeatedly visiting a location) like the town dealing with a civil war. And of course the keyword system that makes the entire thing work by having things you do in one book affect or carry over into others.

One of the things that impressed me in Book 1 was that if you got involved in the civil war you could choose who to support, the general or the would-be king. While there are consequences to that choice (showing up in certain locations afterwards could potentially get you killed), there are no punishments that some books use to enforce their morality. Also, getting involved in the civil war is optional. It's the main plot of Book 1 but if you want your character to buy a ship, explore the coastal areas and gently caress around trading various goods, that's completely okay too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Recently received and am now playing through the "definitive" editions of Lone Wolf 1 - 5. Flight from the Dark has at the least been increased by an extra 200 sections, starting Lone Wolf inside the Monastery during the Darklords' attack. You do get more of a feel for the place. Several other encounters/locations have been fleshed out or just "epiced" up. Especially the Cenar temple. I think I still generally prefer the older version. In the old version there was a path through the book where you never had a single actual "fight" scene. Also, I liked the idea that Silent/Lone Wolf hosed up into heroism. The older version starts with LW sent out to cut firewood because he was inattentive in class (maybe too busy checking out Kai Initiate Large Hooters). He's outside the place when the Darklords descend and kill everybody else that's inside.

The other definitive books? Eh, not so much. They've been edited and cleaned up some. Fire on the Water's notorious tunnel scene is a little more survivable though it still requires you to have either a specific item (and getting it needs a high Combat Skill) or a specific Kai skill. The content hasn't really changed through 2 and 3. Also, these aren't the Collectors' Editions so they don't have the bonus adventures at the end.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Found a link to what is probably the first CYOA published back in the 1940s:

https://imgur.com/a/3JPsn

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Potsticker posted:

Fair! So, Fabled Lands is a book series where each area of the world it takes place in is represented by a different book. And you can travel between books. It's the open world RPG of gamebooks, basically. You can buy a boat and ship goods to make money, hopefully avoiding terrors at sea, or watch a city slowly go to war with itself and decide which side in the conflict you're going to support, you can uncover the plot of an evil cult. There's a ton to do and each book/region has it's own flavor. The books do also sort of represent a progression. if you start with books other than the first one you start at a higher level and so on, and while the later regions do contain harder content, it never really felt to me like I was forced to stick around each area while I was in it's "level." You get clues and items and so on in one book that will apply to others. It's a fantastic experience and I highly recommend it as an example of how the gamebook genre could've progressed even further if it hadn't been pretty much supplanted by Adventure Games and VNs and so on.

The FL books also use code words and tick boxes so the books "remember" things that your character did. Like, if you successfully infiltrate the lair of the sea dragon in book 1, the book will tell you to put a tick in the box above that section, after which you keep reading and collect some nice treasures. If you go back to the lair later, that section will say "if you've already ticked the box, go to section xxx immediately." At section xxx the dragon comes back early because it's paranoid because you robbed it earlier and chases you off before you get much of anything good. In book 3 you can get the code word Calcium which means your lungs have a much better tolerance for high altitudes with reduced oxygen. That comes into play a couple times in book 3 and in book 4 when you're climbing some really tall mountains. The book will say something "take 2-12 Stamina damage unless you have the code word Calcium."

Back in the 90s Morris and Thompson wanted to do something like Elder Scrolls online or World of Warcraft but the computer tech wasn't there yet. So they did it in print with the Fabled Lands books.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Potsticker posted:

I wonder what their notes must have looked like when writing these because it's just a fabulous glut of interwoven content. :allears:

Since I'm helping to edit/logic-proof book 5 of the Vulcanverse series, I've been in e-mail contact with them quite a bit. The last description Dave gave me of Book 5 was "Gordion Knot." So, multiply that by six and you get...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello! I have a weird question, and I'll warn you in advance that I'm going to be very picky.

I am looking for a light weight freeform combat / adventure solo rpg tool that I can use to write a little journal about an OC going on mage adventures in a bog-standard classic fantasy world. Cast fireball to blow up goblins, look for loot, level up, etc... but balanced for one (or two at max) characters, and not too chart heavy.

Does this exist?

It does, but it's embedded in its own book series and it's a bit kludgey. I'm talking about the Blood Sword series which starts here.