Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

So I’m trying to determine whether Solo RPGs, as they exist currently, are a thing for me or not.

I’ve read a bit of the early discussions on what they are and who they’re for. Me, personally what I’m looking for is to basically be able to experience a typical RPG module by myself. Dungeon crawls, monsters, loot, leveling up, working towards some sort of narrative goal at the same time. (Ie reading the story beats as you explore in any module you might find out there) but just doing this alone as a single character with no GM.

Is this possible with any of the iterations of Solo RPGs available on the market? I’ve tried watching a number of YouTube videos of people “Solo RPG’ing” but it’s usually a couple hours of them stammering over a rough idea of who their character is, what they want to be and what the world is like that they randomly rolled up. Not here to yuck anyone’s yum but that’s fairly boring for me. I’m not the journaling type. If I wanted to develop a character like that I’d just write a book.

I guess what I’m asking is what, if any, is the best avenue to go with that will provide a crunchier game experience that gives me the feeling of developing a character through rules and not just what I can come up with in my head and a couple random dice rolls on a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

wizzardstaff posted:

How much of the narrative are you interested in providing yourself? If you want something like a premade scenario or campaign to explore by yourself, I'm not sure solo RPGs will scratch that itch. The crunchiest one I can think of is Ironsworn and even that still requires you to bring a lot of narrative to the table.

Have you also looked into board games (like Gloomhaven) or classic gamebooks (like Fighting Fantasy)?

I guess I would prefer a branching narrative that is provided by the book itself, but nowhere near as simple as a typical CYOA book. Something that requires skill checks, fighting things, etc. to facilitate rolling dice and the story changes based off of those results.

The board game route I already have covered so I was looking for something I could play that required a lot less components and setup time that could be similar to some extent.

Perhaps gamebooks are what I’m talking about. Are they discussed in this thread as well? If so, are there any major ones I should look into first? (Like the already mentioned Fighting Fantasy?)

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks all for the suggestions, will definitely check out Fabled Lands, etc.

I was doing more looking around and stumbled across Cages of Fear, What Lies Beneath and Destiny Quest. These are also starting to look like what I’m talking about as well. What Lies Beneath even has a sort of incremental rogue-like setup for rolling new characters if/when you die.