Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Four Against Darkness: Solo dungeon crawl game when you control four characters. "You choose four character types from the classic classes (warrior, wizard, rogue, halfling, dwarf, barbarian, cleric, elf), equip them, and start adventuring in dungeons created by dice rolls and by your choices. When you enter a room, you generate its content on a series of random tables. You will meet monsters, fight them, hopefully defeat them (or decide that discretion is the better part of valor!), you'll manage your resources (healing, spells, life points, equipment), grab treasure, dodge traps, find clues, and even accept quests from the monsters you meet. Your characters can level up and become better at what they do, but it will not be easy."

This format may have hit its peak in Four Against Ragnarok. The setting is Norse mythology and you explore Scandinavia instead of a dungeon. Unlike most 4AD games it also has an end. Your heroes adventure, gain in strength and eventually die and go to Ragnarok. Once you have a team of four dead heroes, you go into an endgame where you track down legendary enemies of the gods.

It's pretty tight. I felt like 4AD was a map generator that basically played itself, but 4AR gives you a lot of ways to mess with dice, and there's a lot more agency in terms of what risks to take. The beginning is brutal but mid and endgame really shine. Nor does it overstay its welcome.

I'm also glad people like Ironsworn. It doesn't really work for me, but it's a loving amazing product that was released for free, and I'm glad that it gave me the chance to try out PbtA mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU