Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If anyone is feeling a little overwhelmed by the ship builder I am doing some videos going over all the components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz54pEAzjWs

This one covers all the primary weapons in the game.

I am finishing one on PD as well, if people are interested let me know and I will post it here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, I do wish everything to do with jamming was a bit more codified/streamlined, it feels kind of awkward and unreliable both to use and have it used against you. Sometimes a burnthrough will get through jamming, sometimes it won't. Sometimes a target lock will hold, sometimes it won't (even with bullseyes). On the using end there's little telling in what situations your jamming will do anything, and on the receiving end it can be quite frustrating cause there's little feedback what you should be doing differently except for closing into visual range.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's also just times where ships will be mysteriously stealthy despite being really close and there being no obstacles between you and them.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

My most effective ship design so far is a 500 point Spyglass / Prowler scout frigate, with Pinard early detection, and a pair of missile batteries. It barely has a signature even with radar and comms active. Send it by itself to a good location, if it is ever spotted it dumps 32 missiles at whatever sees it and flank speeds away, but mostly it provides targetting data for whatever else I have brought (like my railgun HC).

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I get that it would kinda go against the premise of the game, but engagement ranges are so low that optical targeting systems should be viable. Cover your ship in wide angle telescopes (preferably sensitive in the infrared) and that should cover detection and tracking out to a substantial range. But as noted, eliminating an entire game mechanic in the name of realism isn't very smart.

What might be interesting are deployable, short lived IRST buoys as an anti-jamming mechanism.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Wouldn't those telescopes be very vulnerable to lasers.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Broke 30k with my gun CLs;

(a good chunk of that was probably dumping 32 hurricanes into a BB with damaged point defense from 2.5 km away)

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I don't have this game, yet, but I'm watching it very closely. I am basically just waiting for it to get a campaign. If it's a dynamic campaign I'm in trouble.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The recent update buffed CLs a bit and added new maps!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Arsonide posted:

I don't have this game, yet, but I'm watching it very closely. I am basically just waiting for it to get a campaign. If it's a dynamic campaign I'm in trouble.

Have the devs said whether or not they plan to implement a campaign? The gameplay is very good but I think you're making the right move - I'm not sure I would give it a strong recommendation sans campaign.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
A single-player campaign is planned. You can see the roadmap here: https://trello.com/b/ZNxJIGSQ/nebulous-public-roadmap

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Did you know that you can make a reasonably priced Corvette that can rush out of nowhere and dump 3 salvos of 3 Maces into the enemy fleet you've beat up with your combat ships?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I dunno if anyone found my last video useful, but I did another one on PD and Missile Defense today. Hopefully it might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfaItnI-bB8

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

New patch just dropped a bit ago, includes being able to use ELINT to generate tracks you can fire upon, and a buff to railgun destroyer fire rates among other things.

Also, official post by the developer on the discord;

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Those ELINT updates are amazing. Pyotr would be so proud.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jesus why would you buff railguns.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It buffed the spinal mounted rail which is pretty much unused now that people had more time with the ship designer. Railgun on CA and BB were way better because you can get more firepower/cost since you can buff guns with the same amount of money spent on the auxiliary equipment.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I bought the game but haven't played anything other than the first tutorial mission.

Can I build a fleet armed with nothing other than long range beam weapons and fire in salvos a la Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

I bought the game but haven't played anything other than the first tutorial mission.

Can I build a fleet armed with nothing other than long range beam weapons and fire in salvos a la Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Beam weapon is short range decisive weapon. Railgun is the long range option in this game.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

YoursTruly posted:

Beam's are quite short ranged but you can turret mount them and fire off nasty beam broadsides. The issue with beams is closing to range without getting cored by railguns or disintegrated by missiles. The hulls that can mount the beam turrets are quite slow without extensive refit which makes things a little harder.

There is a Destroyer based spinal beam which gives you a faster, albeit more vulnerable, chassis to base around a beam weapon - but it is a more of an 'all or nothing' build.

I am trying to make LC's with MK64's work as line ships but at the end of the day railguns seem to always outclass them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that whatever Railguns other shortcomings, a direct hit from them will one shot radar panels and thruster mounts off your ship. This means that getting caught out in the open by a railgun ship means at best a permament loss of mobility and sensor coverage, which immediately reduces your chances of being able to engage successfully.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally got around to getting through the tutorials, putting together a fleet, and trying it out against AI default fleets. Boy does this one have a learning curve. It's good though.

My initial designs skewed hard towards PD, after reading about the amount of missiles people will bring online, but that meant anything skewed in non-missile directions wrecked me hard. The PD corvettes that I designed do an incredible job of knocking down incoming missiles, but their offensive contribution is laughable. Need to find a way to shuffle hulls and designs to get a second EWAR ship instead of overkilling on PD; jamming can really mess with people, but I need more/better angles to keep my one good gun platform alive.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Corbeau posted:

Finally got around to getting through the tutorials, putting together a fleet, and trying it out against AI default fleets. Boy does this one have a learning curve. It's good though.

My initial designs skewed hard towards PD, after reading about the amount of missiles people will bring online, but that meant anything skewed in non-missile directions wrecked me hard. The PD corvettes that I designed do an incredible job of knocking down incoming missiles, but their offensive contribution is laughable. Need to find a way to shuffle hulls and designs to get a second EWAR ship instead of overkilling on PD; jamming can really mess with people, but I need more/better angles to keep my one good gun platform alive.

A huge change in the latest patch that isn't covered in the tutorials is that you can now create tracks using ELINT. If you have 2+ ELINT modules far enough from each other (ie on different ships) they will automatically triangulate powerful radar sources giving you something to shoot/jam/launch missiles at. This is a huge change and opens up a lot. I don't know if this will shake up the meta a lot, but it makes less sense to blast into a battle with the radar on all your ships turned on anymore.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Nebulous goes pretty far into the technical weeds and is even slower paced, but this game reminds me heavily of Myth. Specifically, it's about organization. You have to preposition rather than react = god help you if you get caught out.

Also surprisingly easy to run out of gun ammo. Turns out ten minutes of ammo is only enough if you're an early casualty.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 28, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that whatever Railguns other shortcomings, a direct hit from them will one shot radar panels and thruster mounts off your ship. This means that getting caught out in the open by a railgun ship means at best a permament loss of mobility and sensor coverage, which immediately reduces your chances of being able to engage successfully.

I am seeing every fleet that's not a 10 corvette missile/torpedo fleet hugging rock at all time in more experienced lobby so I think the tactical thinking has already adopted to the threat rail guns posed.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
You always want to be close to hard cover to duck out of the way of rails and missile swarms, or just to break a lock.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Did a quick video demonstrating how the ELINT changes work. They are amazing to play around with.

Nobody in game is as scarred by HighFleet as I am so they keep their Radar on all the time.

:pyotr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxd4Z0RJ9dk

You can mount the Pinard's on the 'chin mount' slot on a Sprinter and not need to worry so much about rotation.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

To be fair until now there was no real reason to worry about the comms and radar emissions because they had such a minimal impact on you getting detected.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Saros posted:

To be fair until now there was no real reason to worry about the comms and radar emissions because they had such a minimal impact on you getting detected.

I don't really know how much comms really affects detection, it's a hard one to test. Apparently you can target a floodlight at an ELINT trace and it will activate as soon as you get in range which seems pretty powerful.

From the games Discord this morning:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, I have some test data from before:

Spyglass detection vs
------Detection----W/ radar and comm off--w/prowler---w/ radar and comm off----1 jammer
FFL 9000-----------8100-------------------------------8300------------7400---------------------------------2800
FF 10300----------9100-------------------------------9200------------8200---------------------------------3700
DD 11300---------10200-----------------------------10500----------9200---------------------------------4200
CL 11400---------11300-----------------------------11400----------10100-------------------------------5700
CA 11400---------11400-----------------------------11400----------10700-------------------------------6400
BB 11400---------11400-----------------------------11400----------11400-------------------------------9100

So the effect is not big in absolute term, but a small ship vs a target under the effect of jammer, or even multiple jammers can have a consequential difference

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Shout out to the guy I just played against who decided the proper amount of point defense for a heavy cruiser is "zero".

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

LostCosmonaut posted:

Shout out to the guy I just played against who decided the proper amount of point defense for a heavy cruiser is "zero".

"Full speed ahead and drat the torpedoes!"

I bet he called you names.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
PD is tough to pick, and tough to design into a game, because it's an entirely defensive investment that works against only one axis of attack. It'd be much better, design-wise, if PD could also function as a knife-fighting weapon, but there are severe technical issues with doing so according to the developers (each projectile has a simulated cost and PD only gets away with huge amounts of projectiles because it ignores ship impacts). So I can absolutely see why someone would try to avoid dumping points into PD and instead attempt to use jamming and stealth as defenses, both of which work against multiple types of threat.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Another balance patch dropped, 450mm got their range and velocity buffed, 120mm got a range buff plus a Mk. 62 fire rate buff, railgun turrets and 450mm turrets swapped durability values (buff for 450mm), and railguns had their overpen damage cut in half.

Reminder to battleshort your stuff when needed. Yesterday shot some hurricanes at a heavy cruiser with an interruption jammer, most of them whiffed the first pass (was close enough that some still hit). Then the guy's jammer hit cooldown.... and about a dozen hurricanes turned around and hit the backside of his ship.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The Modular Missile Update is out this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UHQ7qa3fM

Programmable engines. Configure the warhead, sensors and engines.
Includes options for things like Cold Launches and Sprinter Finishes.

It looks INTENSE

Also the Developer has teased ships for faction 2. Looks like the OSP (Outer System Protectorate) are going to be a fleet of converted civilian ships focussed on 'Clippers' and 'Line Ships'

Clippers are converted light civilian ships with spinal mounted weapons, think passenger ships, small frieghters and yachts.
Line Ships are converted large freighters with turret mounts fit on them. The Dev has revealed that the layout of these ships is randomly configured when you add one to a fleet to represent how non-standard these are compared to the military ships of the Alliance.

Timestamped link to the reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u810zMktGVI&t=1257s

Concept Clipper Art

Concept Line Ship Art

Early Line Ship Renders, the dev shows off a script that randomly builds them in the video.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That looks sick, but I guess my question is whether that randomization is just cosmetic or if it will have gameplay impact, and if it’s the latter, whether people end up repeatedly adding and deleting a hull until it’s randomly one that they want.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Pirate Radar posted:

That looks sick, but I guess my question is whether that randomization is just cosmetic or if it will have gameplay impact, and if it’s the latter, whether people end up repeatedly adding and deleting a hull until it’s randomly one that they want.

The Dev addressed this in the stream. He says you can 'ship scum' if you want, but he expects the sort of people that would ship scum would just play Alliance with it's dedicated military ships.

Edit: I am gonna stream some of this update over the weekend so I will report back on thoughts aftwards. Very excited for cold launches, sprint engines and cluster decoys.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 19, 2022

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Fair! I’m psyched for new ship layouts.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Update is out. Lots of very cool looking customization option. You can now make a missile that costs almost as much as a corvette if you wish. Besides the new missile, there's also two new decoy type to use. You can customize the proportion of booster and payload, you can customize your missile engine for speed, burn duration, or maneuverability. You can make stealth missile, jammer missile, missile that shoots decoy, KE-kill missile.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Alright, had a few games with the new update. There's some rock paper scissor involved here. As very expensive missile are easier to shoot down with the more expensive counter like the new Sarissa PD (railgun PD that can shoot down the new hybrid missile before the missile enters sprint stage) or some kind of anti-missile missile. The default riposte might not even be enough. All the old PD option, even the aurora are only good for the old cheap missile. It seems heavy cruiser is popular right now as you can carry enough missile to kill or cripple most things, but still have guns or beam during the end game for mop up.