Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If anyone is feeling a little overwhelmed by the ship builder I am doing some videos going over all the components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz54pEAzjWs

This one covers all the primary weapons in the game.

I am finishing one on PD as well, if people are interested let me know and I will post it here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I dunno if anyone found my last video useful, but I did another one on PD and Missile Defense today. Hopefully it might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfaItnI-bB8

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Those ELINT updates are amazing. Pyotr would be so proud.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

YoursTruly posted:

I bought the game but haven't played anything other than the first tutorial mission.

Can I build a fleet armed with nothing other than long range beam weapons and fire in salvos a la Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Beam's are quite short ranged but you can turret mount them and fire off nasty beam broadsides. The issue with beams is closing to range without getting cored by railguns or disintegrated by missiles. The hulls that can mount the beam turrets are quite slow without extensive refit which makes things a little harder.

There is a Destroyer based spinal beam which gives you a faster, albeit more vulnerable, chassis to base around a beam weapon - but it is a more of an 'all or nothing' build.

I am trying to make LC's with MK64's work as line ships but at the end of the day railguns seem to always outclass them.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Corbeau posted:

Finally got around to getting through the tutorials, putting together a fleet, and trying it out against AI default fleets. Boy does this one have a learning curve. It's good though.

My initial designs skewed hard towards PD, after reading about the amount of missiles people will bring online, but that meant anything skewed in non-missile directions wrecked me hard. The PD corvettes that I designed do an incredible job of knocking down incoming missiles, but their offensive contribution is laughable. Need to find a way to shuffle hulls and designs to get a second EWAR ship instead of overkilling on PD; jamming can really mess with people, but I need more/better angles to keep my one good gun platform alive.

A huge change in the latest patch that isn't covered in the tutorials is that you can now create tracks using ELINT. If you have 2+ ELINT modules far enough from each other (ie on different ships) they will automatically triangulate powerful radar sources giving you something to shoot/jam/launch missiles at. This is a huge change and opens up a lot. I don't know if this will shake up the meta a lot, but it makes less sense to blast into a battle with the radar on all your ships turned on anymore.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Did a quick video demonstrating how the ELINT changes work. They are amazing to play around with.

Nobody in game is as scarred by HighFleet as I am so they keep their Radar on all the time.

:pyotr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxd4Z0RJ9dk

You can mount the Pinard's on the 'chin mount' slot on a Sprinter and not need to worry so much about rotation.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Saros posted:

To be fair until now there was no real reason to worry about the comms and radar emissions because they had such a minimal impact on you getting detected.

I don't really know how much comms really affects detection, it's a hard one to test. Apparently you can target a floodlight at an ELINT trace and it will activate as soon as you get in range which seems pretty powerful.

From the games Discord this morning:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

LostCosmonaut posted:

Shout out to the guy I just played against who decided the proper amount of point defense for a heavy cruiser is "zero".

"Full speed ahead and drat the torpedoes!"

I bet he called you names.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The Modular Missile Update is out this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UHQ7qa3fM

Programmable engines. Configure the warhead, sensors and engines.
Includes options for things like Cold Launches and Sprinter Finishes.

It looks INTENSE

Also the Developer has teased ships for faction 2. Looks like the OSP (Outer System Protectorate) are going to be a fleet of converted civilian ships focussed on 'Clippers' and 'Line Ships'

Clippers are converted light civilian ships with spinal mounted weapons, think passenger ships, small frieghters and yachts.
Line Ships are converted large freighters with turret mounts fit on them. The Dev has revealed that the layout of these ships is randomly configured when you add one to a fleet to represent how non-standard these are compared to the military ships of the Alliance.

Timestamped link to the reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u810zMktGVI&t=1257s

Concept Clipper Art

Concept Line Ship Art

Early Line Ship Renders, the dev shows off a script that randomly builds them in the video.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Pirate Radar posted:

That looks sick, but I guess my question is whether that randomization is just cosmetic or if it will have gameplay impact, and if it’s the latter, whether people end up repeatedly adding and deleting a hull until it’s randomly one that they want.

The Dev addressed this in the stream. He says you can 'ship scum' if you want, but he expects the sort of people that would ship scum would just play Alliance with it's dedicated military ships.

Edit: I am gonna stream some of this update over the weekend so I will report back on thoughts aftwards. Very excited for cold launches, sprint engines and cluster decoys.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 19, 2022

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Another extremally important note:

Missiles need to be programmed before launch. By default a ship can only program 1 missile at a time. Some hulls have bonus programming channels (DD has +1, LC and HC have +2). You can equip modules to increase number of programming channels and programming speed.

This is an effective limitation on overwhelming missile salvos. If someone wants flood you with missiles they need to really invest in it, and the modules requirement means that their ships haven't got other things like Energy Regulators or Ammo Elevators.

I did play one game where my BS was sunk by missiles that appeared out of nowhere before we detected an enemy. This was against a beta tester so they have clearly worked out a really nice stealth torpedo/size 2 missile with a nasty sprint phase.

Also PD is super important, the new Sarisa coil gun PD is very effective but has a very low RoF, the Double Barreled 25mm flak is nice when you mass it. Defender PD doesn't feel like it can really smash the bigger missiles anymore.

Side Note: 450mm still isn't worth it. Take Beams instead.

Edit:

In general, it feels like conventional long range missiles fired across the map from hidden missile carriers have been nerfed out of the meta. If you see them coming they will generally be defeated by half decent PD networks quite quickly.

The new hot scary situation is hot launching big missiles at 'knife fighting' range. You can now choose to cold or hot launch missiles, and there is a canted torpedo launcher designed specifically for vomiting terrifying ordinance at point blank range. Once the launching ship is already inside your PD network, it's a lot harder to deal with it's missiles/torps.

You can make some ridiculous missiles if you don't care about them flying very far.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 22, 2022

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

SPIKER SPIKER!

You know the engagement has started when the game just lurches into slow mode to track all the missiles and PD.

Pictured is my Sarissa BB - based on a build from Wall1ce, one of the guys who has been testing this update. It's pretty absurd and aggressively projects a 6km missile No-Fly zone around it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Impressions from this update after a few hours of playing games.

Railguns got a significant nerf, and are way less prolific. Now they are more of a support option rather than the best BB mount for longer range fights.
450mm cannons, especially the MK68 are extremally good. And very fun. I have a Ballistic BB I have been having a blast with.

120mm cannons loaded with RPF rounds will automatically fire on incoming missile tracks, this gives you an extremally long range option for dealing with incoming missiles before they hit the rest of your PD network. Other guns loaded with RPF will not auto-fire on incoming tracks, but you can use Z to target incoming missiles and fire at them with your bigger weapons.

Speaking of missiles, the days of missile swarms overwhelming PD are mostly over. Instead it's an arms race between barrages of cheap missiles or stealth expensive missiles that outwit your PD to get through - you can build two-stage missiles with sprint finish engines and set them to do things like corkscrew on final approach. Equipping them with hardened skin to survive PD fire, or Cold Gas Bottles for more lateral movement on the final approach makes them much harder to hit. As always having a layered network and looking after each other is the best way to stay ahead of the missile game.

Corvettes can mount canted torp launchers and flank inside your PD bubble to hot-launch them from short range, this can be very nasty.

HC's look like they are really nice performers with their good forward coverage on their primary mounts, a great rear mount for missiles and their chassis +2 missile channels trait, letting them program 3 missiles at a time with no additional modules to help with that. A really great frame for a lot of different jobs now.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 29, 2022

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

hello internet posted:

It only that but it seems like every game is a 4 man looking to stomp a team of randoms

I have been playing some community games with my small discord community and the game is hella fun when it's a bunch of people who kind of only sort of know what they are doing. Any time a sweat shows up we get wiped out. If you can get together for 2v2's then you can have a really good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBXa33340A&t=5809s

Linked to a couple of games with the community group that aren't as one-sided (sadly the second game goes south fast for one team because one side concentrated firepower and the other split but it's still a better showing than a total stomp).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am so excited for this update. Give me ramshackle civilian hulls with guns strapped to them every day of the week. I *love* that they were able to add shipping company logos to the shipping containers.

I want to play with those broadside cruisers and have them rotate so that one side can fire while the other reloads.

Civilian Yachts refit with spinal mounted heavy weapons is ridiculous and I love it.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 9, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

OSP Shuttles armed with dumbfire rocket racks are pretty lethal right now. You do not want to get ambushed by a wolf pack as an ANS player. They can wreck pretty much anything if they get a full volley off.

What I am seeing a lot of however is OSP fleets being built like ANS fleets, slow brawlers rather than fast ambushers, and ANS teams are winning the game if it drags on because their ships have more durability and damage reduction on their internals. If you are playing OSP I urge you to focus on capping or at least being aware of it!

For those curious the OSP faction is made up of mostly civilian ships pressed into military service.

Clippers
  • Shuttle - Small, Fast, Bascially a technical. Mount it with rockets and watch it melt Alliance Battleships from behind if you get a good flank going.
  • Tugboat - Good little hull. Has a 'spinal' mount on a very small ship that can take big guns or the new R400 search and track radar.

Monitors
  • Cargo Feeder - Tugboats big brother, can mount 450mm in a 'casement' slot. Also features 40cm armour on quite a small hull, one of the most durable ships in the OSP Fleet.

Command Cruiser
  • Ocello Command Cruiser - A mothballed Alliance Warship stolen and adopted by the OSP. Uniquely able to mount every component, module and external fixture for both factions. You can really explore insane builds with this. I have seen people playing 3000pt versions of this single ship.

Line Ships
  • Bulk Freighter - Commericial shipping vessel reconfigured into a broadside ambusher. Able to mount 4 casement weapons per side, the largest of which is a double barreled 450mm cannon.
  • Cargo Feeder - A commercial cargo shipping vessel with the unique mount slots for reconfigured cargo containers as weapons. These feature configurable missiles, mine containers, decoys and rocket delivery packages. Expensive but very powerful in the right hands.

OSP as a faction focus on Autoloaders over fast reloading weapons. They have access to Plasma weapons which degrade armor on the target, meaning smaller vessels with lower calibre guns can attack larger ships. Their tech in general is better but not as robust. For example their jammer is more powerful but doesn't last as long. They also have very limited access to Burn-Through radars and their ships lack the damage reduction of Alliance ships and can be a lot more restrictive for module and compartment slots.

They seem to be built around devastating ambushes, but their staying power might be limited

The asymmetric multiplayer has really shaken the game up, it's a pretty exciting time to get involved.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 6, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

habituallyred posted:

I think you will find that the largest mountable casemate weapon is in fact the Mass Driver! Rails are back with a vengeance. Just remember if somebody in the lobby says they are bringing rails ask what type. Ocellos with old style rails are still bad, or at least unimpressive damage wise. I can't imagine trying to stuff a mass driver onto a Cargo Feeder.

The whole ANS vs OSP development has turned gun focused Vauxhall LCs into swans. I think a decent Bulk Freighter design might even the odds, but my last attempt with 600 pointers did not go well...

One thing to be aware of with ANS Rails - if they hit you, they will cause an 'event' to fire in any component they pass through. If it only hits superstructure it will pick a random module/compartment for an event to fire. Events are fires, gyroscope drift etc.

Basically even if the rails aren't doing a lot of damage they are constantly taxing the damage control teams on the target ship. If that ship is has low DC and is doing something that already taxes them like flanking they can cause *terrible things* to happen if your magazine catches fire.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Protip: The second you see a shuttle start shooting RPF at it. Not to kill it (thought it will hurt it) but it means that as soon as it starts firing rockets, the RPF rounds that are in transit will detonate as soon as a rocket is in range. This means you don't need to wait for incoming needles to start firing PD. It makes sure that you have anti-missile rounds traveling on the flight path that incoming rockets will come on before they even start firing.

You can see the results of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi3G9VBJwik

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 9, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Plan R posted:

So for a new player looking to join up what's a good start? TF Oak and TF Birch seem to be forgiving.

It's an interesting time to get into the game because a lot of people are having to unlearn the ANS vs ANS matchup as most games are ANS vs OSP now. It means you won't pick up bad habits but on the downside you have twice the roster and ships to learn.

Birch and Oak are good fleets. I would recommend Birch over Oak as Large Alliance HC's And BB's need a lot of babying against OSP Line Ships and Clippers and the LC's in Birch are great for learning. There is a great guide for all the starter ships on the steam community page. Also I would highly recommend checking out JDee's videos. He does a LOT of tutorials on game mechanics and specific slices of the game that really help.

3x Vauxhall (Which is what Birch runs) is a good fleet to look at building when you go to make your first. The low ship count will mean you don't get too overwhelmed and they can do a lot VS OSP. In the ANS v ANS meta they had to babied a lot more.

Still be wary of OSP ambushes as they will ruin your day if you run into one. It's tempting to hug rocks but try and 'clear the corner' with a scout ship that is sitting far out and coming around in a wide angle first. Evasion movement on a Raines with a Raider drive is a pretty good counter to a lot of long range fire.

Here is a link to JDee's channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/jdee1/videos
And here are the starter fleet guides: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2939725175

I try not to self promo but here is a video I did recently on lessons learned with a Raines fleet as well. Hopefully the walkthrough of my thoughts during the battle helps highlight the things to watch out. I am going to stream more games tonight as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrJgYbKtOZ4

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 10, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Corbeau posted:

Excellent write-up

How do you feel about using the MK62 in the side slots with RPF rounds as part of your PD network?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I mostly float around with 6xFrigates in two task groups of 3 to hunt monitors and shuttles early game and then provide cap, vision and fire support late game. I do use a lot of RPF and RPF-PreFire to deal with rocket swarms but maybe that isn't a thing at the higher skill levels?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

wins32767 posted:

How does one get into this game? The 3d part of the interface seemed pretty fiddly when I gave it a go back a year or so ago and I ended up bouncing off. It seems wonderfully deep but the tutorials didn't really help much beyond the basic mechanics.

Honestly the best way is to get into some games. I don't think many goons are currently playing but having a four stack on discord would be very strong and you would get coached while you play.

The hardest part of the game is actually the ship building side, in actual combat it's a lot of common sense like not exposing yourself to too many angles at once and making the best use of cover, knowing when to commit to move and when to stay put.

If you are looking for general info I recommend https://www.youtube.com/@JDeeGaming, they have a bunch of videos going over a whole range of topics and their delivery is really good.

Ewar is very intimidating when you first look at it but it generally comes down to X counters Y.

Oh and never ever fight inside a 'friendly' minefield. There is no such thing as a friendly mine.

I might play some games this weekend actually, it's been awhile since I had some games.

Edit: We could add a new player guide to the OP or something? The game is good and the dev is intensely invested. When the faction warfare system comes in I fully intend to deeply commit.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 6, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

ELINT is another topic that I find myself explaining a lot.

For those without the background, the system at it's most basic explanation is a passive radar detection tool. Essentially if a source is emitting radar in the battlespace, an ELINT module can detect the direction it is emitting from and give a guess at the approximate strength of the signal.

If you have two ELINT detectors at a decent distance from each other (importantly these need to be mounted on two separate ships), you can cross reference the origin vector and signal strength (game does this automatically), and you will get a rough estimate of the location of the ship(s) emitting radar.

if you have three ELINT detectors spread out (again on 3 separate ships), preferably in a triangle from the source, you can build a strong idea of where the radar emitting ship is. Strong enough to fire on with low accuracy. Not much use for cannons or beams but great for striking with radar-seeking missiles or torpedo's.

Because of the way this works, you can detect and roughly pinpoint enemy radar emitting ships before they can detect you on radar themselves. Corvettes have a nice nose slot for an ELINT module that gives a good forward facing field of detection.

Most players, especially those new to the game. Will have their radars on at all times.

You can turn the radars off on your ELINT ships, and they can transmit the ELINT data back to your feel via radio comms. If you ever see a corvette or a shuttle far out on the edge of the battlespace you can usually guarantee someone is running ELINT and they have a lot more information on their enemy than you realize.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 13, 2023

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TescoBag posted:

So I do love the look of this game, but I'm not big on PvP strategy games.

Are they planning on adding a single player mode into this? Like a campaign or anything?

Before single player they will be doing the community warfare gameplay if I remember the roadmap, so it is quite awhile away.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The next Devlog dropped with a big detailed look at the strategic level of the next multiplayer update which simulates war across entire solar systems with multiple players per team controlling fleets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPauekEe2CE

I expect GoonFleet to be a work of art.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Current new 'hot' meta is Revolver Liners

You cover every side of a liner with guns and micro it so it is always rotating as it reloads so it never stops firing. There are a few micro masters out there capable of keeping up a near endless stream of fire from these ships. It's pretty scary.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Mixed Missile Salvos are a big deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHp74ZyFaWw

Here is a little overview of it from JDee. Essentially you can plan out very interesting attacks involving specially made decoys and ship killers.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED_EC0OZJY4

New Dev Diary with details on how fleet logistics will work in conquest mode as well as confirmation that you can play conquest against a bot. Personally I am looking to set my discord up as the OpFor for an official Neb discord team.

With the way that mothballed ships and refits are going to work I think shipmancers who can design a solid baseline (a) variant of a ship and then versatile sub variants with minimal changes but the ability to cover new roles will be invaluable.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

It is worth mentioning that the test branch at the moment has a new cannon being worked on for the OSP. It's only mountable by the Cargo Feeder, and features a huge 600mm round.

There are two ammo types, a ridiculous massive HE round and a 'Bomb' that is time fused with the goal of being ruinous against clustered light ships.

I really like the look of this, it gives the Cargo Feeder a much needed niche. It gives the OSP a way to deal with frigate and corvette swarms and it is a really nasty hit on heavier ships with stripped armour, which is something the OSP can do with massed plasma attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If you are interested applications are open for testing for the Conquest Game mode.

quote:

Conquest development continues to roll along and Phase 4 is well underway. You can expect a devlog covering logistics and industry before the end of the month. The end of Phase 4 has been when we intended to take on our first wave of public testers, because the completion of that phase marks the point where most of the major mechanics have been implemented in their basic state. Given the current pace of development, and the expected completion time for this phase, we are going to begin accepting tester applications **today**!

Please note that the time commitment for testing Conquest will be significant, and comes with additional difficulties compared to testing our other updates. You will form teams with other testers and be expected to play regularly-scheduled games. Keep this in mind when deciding whether or not to apply. Additionally, as before, you must be over 18 years old to be a tester.

Apply here: https://forms.gle/iAVUGGzgn92FHe6b7

Also if you are looking for some fun content to play, community rockstar NotSoLoneWolf put together a tutorial/campaign for the OSP faction available here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3129262667

Minenfeld! posted:

It's a kick rear end game. And it let me paint my space ships Mountbatten Pink.

10/10.

Definitely waiting on the single player campaign too.

One of the mods I have been messing around lets you choose custom paint schemes for your ships!