Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Biffmotron posted:

Missiles are better, though whiffing with a big missile barrage can leave you without a lot of options.

This is kinda the game right now (that and 'beam battleships are obviously the future'). Mass missile strikes either wipe out entire enemy groups or they whiff into chaff and pd and the guy with now empty magazines quits out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Saros kindly donated a few pages of his discord for goons looking to theorycraft/play: https://discord.gg/3P536PjHEB

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just can't see the practical utility of a spoofer ship. People only really shoot things they have identified as threats, and in a 3v3 or 4v4 game there's plenty of sensor coverage to go around. Best case scenario someone takes a few shots at you, but was that worth dumping all of those points to make a ship that's not combat effective?

I'm having fun with a fleet that's 2 DD's crammed full of missiles and a Jammer FF.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm sensing that more and more people are getting wise to the fact that trying a single 3k bb will get you wrecked by missiles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah running out of power due to a stray shot is very bad, ship builds that go suddenly combat-ineffective due to a single shot can be viable but need to be played around the idea that nobody will ever shoot them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The current meta is you either knifefight with beams, or snipe with rails, or pack absolutely ridiculous numbers of missile launchers and try and alpha strike someone off the field. Knifefighting with beams typically means the person who starts shooting first wins.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pedro0930 posted:

Did a quick test and it seems armor angling is very effective against cannon. With armor angling, 250mm HE cannot pierce light cruiser armor while heavy cruiser is almost completely immune. Also the idea of "raking shot" is also not very effective. 250mm AP from the front can easily destroy all the thrusters on the front of a heavy cruiser, but all the component in the middle of the ships are basically safe no matter how much AP your pour in.

Cannon just seem incredibly underpowered vs the other weapons options.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phrospher made a video and it really should be mandatory watching to understand the weapons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz54pEAzjWs

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's also just times where ships will be mysteriously stealthy despite being really close and there being no obstacles between you and them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jesus why would you buff railguns.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The problem is that whatever Railguns other shortcomings, a direct hit from them will one shot radar panels and thruster mounts off your ship. This means that getting caught out in the open by a railgun ship means at best a permament loss of mobility and sensor coverage, which immediately reduces your chances of being able to engage successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I skipped the missile rework patch so none of my fleets work anymore but played last night and will probably wait till the patch to get back in and make some terrible fleets.