Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Cannon just seem incredibly underpowered vs the other weapons options.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. Beams and missile swarms really seem to be the kings of this game. The projectiles can't match beam damage, and while the 450mm and rails could outrange beams on a fast BB, they still to need to deal with missile swarms and jams and tend to need a spotter to really capitalize on range advantages.

One could do worse than take the default beam destroyer fleet, replace the secondary guns with more missiles, and call it a day. The ewar vette in that fleet owns as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My understanding is this:

Bullseye:
  • Can lock any track the fleet sees.
  • More accurate. Maybe resists ECM?
  • Cannot search.
  • Costs points and a hardpoint.

Parallax:
  • Can only lock tracks the mounted ship can see.
  • Less accurate.
  • Costs more energy.
  • Added search range.

I like Parallax better for general applications, but the bullseye is good in energy-constrained ships. One neat thing the bullseye can do but the Parallax can't is to take the Bullseye on a sneaky, radarless corvette and have that lock targets from tracks other fleet members packing search radars provide.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

hello internet posted:

It only that but it seems like every game is a 4 man looking to stomp a team of randoms

Those 4 mans are all generally organizing on the official discord, joining that is basically mandatory for this game.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Trying my normal CH + screens on ANS strat is definitely great for holding ground if OSP chooses to go toe to toe, but I'm finding that it loses if they instead choose to maneuver and cap. I'm not a fan of the Vauxhall's small mount placement, but I'm definitely seeing a renewed case for it when flying against OSP.

On the OSP side, I have fallen in love with monitors: those things can do drat near anything. Need a scout? An EWR+R400+(optionally) an Intel Center makes for a real good AWACS ship. Need to fight close? A few monitors with a spinal plasma and 100m turrets will shred things. Want to snipe? Mass driver monitor. All with surprisingly robust armor and speed.

Ocellos ability to mount both ANS and OSP gear makes me want to put both of the 360 jammers and dazzlers on to cover my fleet from missiles.