Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just had this this pop up on my youtube feed, which made it look fun enough for me to take the plunge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXdXlx78Cc&t=913s

Only had time to play through the tutorials so far, but it's already looking very promising. Properly setting waypoints in 3D space for the missiles is tricky as hell though, even though I'm somewhat experienced placing things in 3D spaces from using Blender. So far I've had the best success first setting the radius from a perpendicular perspective and then switching to a perspective where I'm basically "behind" the origin looking at the target for the bearing. But even that has about even odds of putting the course in exactly 180° the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I've just learned the same thing about railguns the hard way. Great range, accuracy, and seems to basically ignore armor, but thoroughly mediocre raw damage potential. It's the sort of thing that's decent as a backup weapon on a missile boat to keep it relevant between/after salvoes, or maybe one turret on a heavy cruiser or battleship to give it some long-range / AP option as it closes in towards cannon range. But a full railgun gunship mostly seems to be a waste of points.

Also, has anybody manage to make an effective wild weasel type ship with the radar spoofer and amplifier? I tried it on the the smaller hulls, basically with that and otherwise filled up with PDCs, chaff, and anti-missile missiles, but couldn't quite yet get it to work. Even wholly dedicated to it, it seems like the smaller hulls simply can't bring enough counter measures to the table to survive a solid salvo on their own. It might work on the larger hulls, but that just doesn't quite seem worth the points.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As it turns out, the devs' youtube channel also has a number of video tutorials, some of which give some more complete information than the ingame text and tutorials. I'll try to collate everything to do with missiles and their counters, as that's a thing that I constantly find myself having to look up.

Missiles

Hurricane
  • Requires direct line of sight between the launching ship to the target
  • The missile will always take the most direct route to the target in a straight line, making it fairly susceptible to PDTs on the target
  • Highly resistant to chaff
  • Highly susceptible to comms jamming
  • Immune to radar jamming
  • Caveat to the above: If you've got enough radar jamming power to make the launching ship lose radar contact, that will still work
Thunderhead
  • Tends to maneuver slightly as it tracks the target, making it harder for PDTs to shoot down
  • May end up targeting other ships than the initial target
  • Highly susceptible to chaff
  • Highly susceptible to being radar jammed
  • Completely immune to being comms jammed
Gale
  • Largely identical to Thunderhead, except:
  • Requires a marker from a friendly ship, but no comms contact
  • Will always go for the ship that is marked
  • More resistant to chaff
  • More resistant to radar jamming
Squall
  • Largely identical to Thunderhead, except:
  • Can only track ships that are actively radar jamming
  • More than immune to jamming
  • Highly resistant to chaff
  • Large seeking cone, requiring less accuracy in targeting them

Countermeasures

Defender PDT
  • Shortest range
  • Decent at hitting missiles coming straight at it, very poor at hitting missiles moving laterally
  • Can shoot constantly without ever having to reload or cool down
  • Will quickly destroy missiles once it actually starts hitting
Rebound PDT
  • Slightly longer range than Defender
  • Can damage/destroy several missiles at once if they are close together
  • Decent at hitting missiles both moving straight on as well as laterally
  • Feeds from internal magazine that needs to reload for a short time after a number of shots (can be improved with modules)
  • Has no own fire control radar, rendering it useless if the ship's radars fail
Aurora PDT
  • Longest range of the PDTs
  • Near-perfect accuracy irrespective of the missile's aspect
  • Will take a short while of sustained fire to actually destroy a missile
  • Needs to cool down for a while after each period of shooting (can be improved with modules)
  • Needs no ammo, but has a very high power draw
  • On average offers the best performance of PDTs per mount
Riposte missiles
  • Very long range
  • Good tracking against missiles moving in any direction
  • Susceptible to comms jamming
  • Takes a while to deploy and start tracking, making it poor against missiles close by
  • Good for protecting other allied ships nearby
Chaff
  • Most effective against Thunderheads and Gales
  • Less effective against Hurricanes and Squalls
  • One deployment of chaff can distract a theoretically infinite number of missiles
  • Missiles distracted by chaff may still hit the ship "by accident" if it's close by

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, damage is still very swingy at times. One game my light cruiser got hit in the nose with three missiles and was instantly destroyed. A few rounds later I managed to land between four and five missiles up and down the broadside of an enemy light cruiser and it still took like 10 minutes of constant 450mm HE shelling and railguns before it went down for good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Cannon just seem incredibly underpowered vs the other weapons options.

Those too feel immensely swingy. There's certainly been times where I had destroyers annihilated in less than five minutes from concentrated 250mm fire from beyond visual range, but also times where I took salvo after salvo to little effect. The angle of impact affecting effective armor thickness would certainly help explain some of that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also, a few of the internally mounted radars cannot target lock by themselves (but have better range and/or accuracy in exchange). If you use those, a bullseye can be a good way to make up for that shortcoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I have to say, I do wish everything to do with jamming was a bit more codified/streamlined, it feels kind of awkward and unreliable both to use and have it used against you. Sometimes a burnthrough will get through jamming, sometimes it won't. Sometimes a target lock will hold, sometimes it won't (even with bullseyes). On the using end there's little telling in what situations your jamming will do anything, and on the receiving end it can be quite frustrating cause there's little feedback what you should be doing differently except for closing into visual range.