Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

What is NEBULOUS and why should I care?

NEBULOUS is an early access space combat RTS that looks like Homeworld, but plays like Wargame: AirLand Battle. As for why you should care, if you like space and/or strategy games in general, I'd highly recommend checking NEBULOUS out. The main developer is (as I understand) an active officer in the US Navy, and the game’s realism and attention to detail reflect that.

Tell me about the gameplay

Similar to the Wargame franchise, you don't construct units during combat -- what you deploy at the start of each round is all you have to work with, so you had better make each ship count. Speaking of ships, there are currently 5 hulls and plans for many more. The currently available ship classes are (from smallest to largest) corvette, frigate, destroyer, light cruiser, and heavy cruiser. Each is balanced around point cost, mass, number and size of weapon mounts, speed, durability, etc. The game features extremely detailed radar and E-war systems, with various factors affecting each ship’s signature radius, emissions, etc. Various ship systems like radar and communications can be toggled off in order to run dark, but tactics like these must be used carefully, because ships under these conditions are effectively flying blind, and rely entirely on other ships to gather and transmit intel.

The game features a fleet builder mode, which allows you to customize and save individual hulls, as well as combine them into fleets which can also be saved. Every single module has a points cost, and multiplayer games are typically organized around fleets with power levels in 1k increments. Whether you choose to field a swarm of corvettes or a single pimped-out heavy cruiser is entirely up to you -- your devious imagination is the limit!

What game modes are available?

Single player options are currently limited to a (fairly comprehensive) tutorial, as well as a player vs. AI “skirmish” mode, but development on a persistent “conquest” campaign is actively under way. The current alpha build also features a fully functional multiplayer mode, which is reasonably bug-free and a ton of fun. There are currently only 3 maps available, and 3 modes -- annihilation (last ship standing), station capture (king of the hill), and control (take and hold 5 points)

I’m sold, how can I play it?

The game is currently listed on steam, however it can’t be purchased there (yet). The only way to obtain a key for the moment is to back the game on Patreon at the $10/month tier. Here are the relevant links:

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/EriInd
Discord: https://discord.gg/ZvFF3Ca

Pics or it didn’t happen

I got you, fam!

s1ppycup fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

Has anyone tried this on windows 7? I'd give it a go but it claims to require 10.

FWIW, I asked the dev about this and their reply was: "It should run on win 7, i just haven't tested it officially."

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Op add a cool tagline to the thread title to lure more unsuspecting goons in here. "Wargame in SPACE" or "what if The Expanse but Videogame" or "Gaming food megathread" or something !!

I don't think I actually CAN edit a thread title after it's been created...I think a mod has to do it :S If anyone knows how, please let me know!

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Lorem ipsum posted:

Definitely works on windows 7. I had some trouble with zaxis stuff thoughout the tutorial but the game is really cool. I like all the systems and the pacing. After playing a few rounds against the ai, I wish there was a faster ship class or the option for much better radars as the scouting options seem limited and you can waste 10 minutes chasing nothing, but I feel like this is just a balance thing. Really neat overall, would recommend so far.

Try out the "spyglass" radar module -- its range is ~11.5km. Check out the "spotlight" radar illuminator as well -- when used in conjunction with the pinard module, you can often detect ships at a pretty long range. The illuminator does require some fine aim though, which can be tricky in practice.