Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Some tips that may not be immediately obvious:
-Jamming works on missile, too. Different kind of missile is susceptible to different kind of jamming.
(Thunderhead & Gale: Blanket, Hurricane, Mace & Riposte: Hangup)
-Jamming degrades PD effectiveness.
-Jamming not only creates interference on the UI, with enough jamming you can completely hide your ship from detection. In general you need at least two blankets to start hiding your ship.

In short, EW is awesome.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
That's weird. In my experience cruiser get cored by beam in seconds.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Did a quick test and it seems armor angling is very effective against cannon. With armor angling, 250mm HE cannot pierce light cruiser armor while heavy cruiser is almost completely immune. Also the idea of "raking shot" is also not very effective. 250mm AP from the front can easily destroy all the thrusters on the front of a heavy cruiser, but all the component in the middle of the ships are basically safe no matter how much AP your pour in.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

BurntCornMuffin posted:

My understanding is this:

Bullseye:
  • Can lock any track the fleet sees.
  • More accurate. Maybe resists ECM?
  • Cannot search.
  • Costs points and a hardpoint.

Parallax:
  • Can only lock tracks the mounted ship can see.
  • Less accurate.
  • Costs more energy.
  • Added search range.

I like Parallax better for general applications, but the bullseye is good in energy-constrained ships. One neat thing the bullseye can do but the Parallax can't is to take the Bullseye on a sneaky, radarless corvette and have that lock targets from tracks other fleet members packing search radars provide.

Bullseye also have range limit @9.5km irrc. What bulleyes do is that it can lock on to maximum distance while Parallax can only lock to what it can see, practically that's usually 8.5-8km or so, or 6km or less if you are jammed before you can get a lock on. Once locked on Bullseye and parallax provide the same precision.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Hook track takes your camera to the track number you type in. It's for coordinating between players.

From my experience everyone tends to keep their whole fleet within supporting distance. The map is actually not that big for four players so there isn't much reason for you to split your fleet. Usually people have a scout that ranges ahead from a different angle, otherwise most splitting is only done for immediate tactical needs.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 5, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

hello internet posted:

I love the premise of this game but the balance is absolutely awful. I've been playing for about 30 hours and missile spam is borderline unstoppable. There is no reason to fly anything except the smallest ships packed full of missiles that can render literally any ship useless in 3 seconds. At the standard 3K, PD only increases your lifespan by maybe 5 seconds, even in the biggest ships with varying configurations of EW. I guess I will put this on the backburner for now and follow development.

Not really my experience. 2 jammers of the correct type will render 90% of the incoming missiles useless, a single chaff can spoof a good percentage of incoming missiles. Combined with flanking speed to the side, most games I never get hit by a single missile. Aurora is also supremely effective at stopping missile even under jamming condition in my test and experience. If all else failed, hugging rock counters almost all long range weapon.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
It buffed the spinal mounted rail which is pretty much unused now that people had more time with the ship designer. Railgun on CA and BB were way better because you can get more firepower/cost since you can buff guns with the same amount of money spent on the auxiliary equipment.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

YoursTruly posted:

I bought the game but haven't played anything other than the first tutorial mission.

Can I build a fleet armed with nothing other than long range beam weapons and fire in salvos a la Legend of the Galactic Heroes?

Beam weapon is short range decisive weapon. Railgun is the long range option in this game.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that whatever Railguns other shortcomings, a direct hit from them will one shot radar panels and thruster mounts off your ship. This means that getting caught out in the open by a railgun ship means at best a permament loss of mobility and sensor coverage, which immediately reduces your chances of being able to engage successfully.

I am seeing every fleet that's not a 10 corvette missile/torpedo fleet hugging rock at all time in more experienced lobby so I think the tactical thinking has already adopted to the threat rail guns posed.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Well, I have some test data from before:

Spyglass detection vs
------Detection----W/ radar and comm off--w/prowler---w/ radar and comm off----1 jammer
FFL 9000-----------8100-------------------------------8300------------7400---------------------------------2800
FF 10300----------9100-------------------------------9200------------8200---------------------------------3700
DD 11300---------10200-----------------------------10500----------9200---------------------------------4200
CL 11400---------11300-----------------------------11400----------10100-------------------------------5700
CA 11400---------11400-----------------------------11400----------10700-------------------------------6400
BB 11400---------11400-----------------------------11400----------11400-------------------------------9100

So the effect is not big in absolute term, but a small ship vs a target under the effect of jammer, or even multiple jammers can have a consequential difference

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Update is out. Lots of very cool looking customization option. You can now make a missile that costs almost as much as a corvette if you wish. Besides the new missile, there's also two new decoy type to use. You can customize the proportion of booster and payload, you can customize your missile engine for speed, burn duration, or maneuverability. You can make stealth missile, jammer missile, missile that shoots decoy, KE-kill missile.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 20, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Alright, had a few games with the new update. There's some rock paper scissor involved here. As very expensive missile are easier to shoot down with the more expensive counter like the new Sarissa PD (railgun PD that can shoot down the new hybrid missile before the missile enters sprint stage) or some kind of anti-missile missile. The default riposte might not even be enough. All the old PD option, even the aurora are only good for the old cheap missile. It seems heavy cruiser is popular right now as you can carry enough missile to kill or cripple most things, but still have guns or beam during the end game for mop up.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Mixing weapon offers useful flexibility, but you won't be able to take advantage of module as effectively. I don't think it's crippling, but the capability added by mixing weapon do need to be justified.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Man, the modular missile system is so fun. Playing against some experienced player, I noticed they tend to be aggressive and like to flank speed corvettes out into the cap immediately while firing missiles to keep our own capper at bay. So in the next game I put some cheapish size 2 missile with some extra range and a EO seeker on and preempt the middle cap and side cap and took out three such corvettes. Still has to get more experience with the heavier missile designs, my current design is able to pen PD fairly well, but even with 8 such missile hits I couldn't cripple my opponent's heavy cruisers. While when I get hit by similar missile it felt like one or two is enough to totally gently caress my heavy cruiser up.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1Pv0jSMwneQzJ_7o2vx0QB_NSVup5N-t_N6TvlLCcICs

Design doc for the planned conquest mode is posted. It sounds way more indepth and ambitious than I imagined. Hopefully they can pull this off.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOe51kQi1No
Next update slated to come out Feb 27, adding the second faction. They are supposed to be a repurposed merchant fleet so most of their ships are like refitted container ship and transport shuttle.

They are supposedly focused on ambush and burst damage (their guns tend to have more barrels and bigger auto-loader magazine, but will take longer to reload). However most of their more powerful guns can only be fired at broadside as they are in casemate mounts. They are also worse at missile technology, having no hybrid missile, instead they have "container missile" and dumb-fire rockets and armor stripping plasma cannon.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Saros posted:

Did they end out following through on the semi randomised weapon mounts because I can't imagine that going down well with the target audience.

The feature's still there. Your ship is generated in fleet designer so if you really want to you can just keep generating ships until the mounting are all at the place you want.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Update is out. Some previously unmentioned changes are big performance improvement (that might also help with connectivity issues). The previously mentioned PD railgun interception is cut. PD targeting logic improvement (flak and sandshot now move on to next target after firing a burst instead of waiting to see if the missile is stopped). Next on the docket is solar system campaign mode, but this will be a big undertaking that's going to take awhile, in the meantime there may be a patch that adds dedicated server.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Had a few games with OSP with mixed success. It seems old ANS fleet geared towards defense against S3H missiles is quite weak against OSP's container missile. Container, while slow, has huge hp and is very cheap, aurora is nearly useless against containers. Mining point in the open is actually still useful because small capping ship like a scout KE often has no weapon to clear minefield...though so far mine seems only somewhat effective because they often ram into asteroid used to mask them. And I also lost an almost pristine ship while moving through a minefield when I guess my antenna got shot out or I turned off comm without thinking.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Had a game where my team was just murking OSP ships left and right with advanced sensor and missiles. Most of OSP's ships were destroyed or crippled without even seeing us. We still lost because by the time we ran out of missile they still had 3 heavily damaged line ships and we literally had 2 250mm guns between the whole team (on one of my rail destroyer). It managed to take out one of the crippled line ship, but got taken out itself when one of their heavily damage mass driver line ship got repaired from the brink and destroyed my DD's reinforced CIC in one volley.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Nice writeup. I really enjoy this game. It got so much going for it. 3D warfare, sensor and electronic warfare, missiles, the many different playstyles, and then ultimately coordinate all this with your teammates.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
ELINT track has a flaw in that it only provide positional data, not vector nor speed. So firing on ELINT track is extra difficult especially at long range. You pretty much have to eye ball it. Though the ARAD seeker does have pretty big cone and range. Usually I toss on a steerable active radar as backup in case the enemy is paying attention.

I experimented with a fleet focused on eliminating OSP long range radar and it was quite satisfying seeing the ELINT track fly off to the top of the map and you fire off 4 S3H at the track and hit home.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 13, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah...that seems very prone to error, wasting micro bandwidth, and is complete antithesis of OSP doctrine.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've tried the pen aid mixed barrage, firing the salvo manually, but based on my testing, while it was a hassle to execute, the bigger problem was that pen aid didn't reliably increase penetration. It can increase hit rate through a weak PD (but then just firing more cheap missile will increase hits against insufficient PD), but against strong PD, pen aid doesn't reliably help while costing a lot.

Now there is some changes to pen aid themselves, but it remains to be seen if they will be worth the cost.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Bubbacub posted:

I've been playing skirmishes versus the AI just to get a grasp on the game. I can do ok with TF Oak or TF Birch, but I have no idea how to use any other starter fleets. I somehow cannot kill anything with missiles, while always getting destroyed by missiles myself.

If some of your ships in a formation automatically switch to HE-RPF to intercept a wave of missiles, is there a way to switch the entire formation back to HE/AP, or do you have to command each ship individually?

Missile lethality has many factors. Size of warhead, where you are hitting, etc. For bigger ship, the sheer size of the ship and modules on it might make it difficult to kill a ship. Remember you need to kill all DC locker and the bridge to kill, and most people will design their ship so these components are spread as far apart as possible or in the very depth of the ship. If all your missiles hit say, the bow, then the damage might not be able to reach deep enough. This is where KPHE can come in, though I don't think the default fleet uses this.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
New dev blog is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_reZOXAd4U

More details on many of the campaign systems. For example, now team can have faction traits. The logistic system is the most detailed and involved thing I've ever seen in a game. Fuel, and supplies are all tracked, and if you want, every ammo type can be individually tracked (there is also option for simplified logistic where ammo is just tracked by volume). Then there's the whole repair and maintenance scheduling game, and with the officer system I guess also a whole HR management game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
New devblog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=371mP5886Mc

Showing off new UI, fleet intelligence system (first time I've seen such thing implemented in a MP game. Complete with radio interception, and trying to decipher grainy infrared/radar imaging photo), marines/land combat.