Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The secret to beam destroyers is battleshorting the beams, IIRC they have some modifier that gives them a much lower chance of burning out. My experience in MP is that beam destroyers played right are utterly horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The internal radars (Parallax, Frontline, etc.) operate out of the four panels on the sides of your ship. If those get damaged you'll lose sensor coverage over certain areas. The externally mounted Bullseye is only a fire control radar; it can't search for targets, but it can lock on to them and is really good at that. (It also uses a lot less power than the internally mounted radars.)

For using gales, I've had the best luck with launching a good amount at once, staying at range, and battleshorting the illuminator so it doesn't shut off when your missiles are halfway to the target. I get the most use of them on open maps (i.e. Abyssal and some of the modded maps), for the maps in asteroids I usually bring a smaller amount of hurricanes or thunderheads.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Modding community is already doing some interesting stuff.
(expanse spoilers I guess)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Watching somebody melt down in chat after you turn on the interruptor jammer and several hundred points worth of hurricanes go sailing into the void is a glorious experience.

For thunderheads and gales, anything bigger than a destroyer (and probably should include those) needs at least one rack of chaff. Firing chaff manually early (shift+Z) is very helpful.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Broke 30k with my gun CLs;

(a good chunk of that was probably dumping 32 hurricanes into a BB with damaged point defense from 2.5 km away)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

New patch just dropped a bit ago, includes being able to use ELINT to generate tracks you can fire upon, and a buff to railgun destroyer fire rates among other things.

Also, official post by the developer on the discord;

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Shout out to the guy I just played against who decided the proper amount of point defense for a heavy cruiser is "zero".

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Another balance patch dropped, 450mm got their range and velocity buffed, 120mm got a range buff plus a Mk. 62 fire rate buff, railgun turrets and 450mm turrets swapped durability values (buff for 450mm), and railguns had their overpen damage cut in half.

Reminder to battleshort your stuff when needed. Yesterday shot some hurricanes at a heavy cruiser with an interruption jammer, most of them whiffed the first pass (was close enough that some still hit). Then the guy's jammer hit cooldown.... and about a dozen hurricanes turned around and hit the backside of his ship.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The cargo monitors are great, I've been having a lot of success with two plasma+100mm monitors and a 250mm ocello. The ocello mounting ANS modules is great, lets me carry an interruptor and four auroras for pd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

TescoBag posted:

So I do love the look of this game, but I'm not big on PvP strategy games.

Are they planning on adding a single player mode into this? Like a campaign or anything?

Yes, there's a single player campaign on the roadmap for the future. (Probably not for a bit, though)