Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I joined the Patreon and decided to have a look at this since I like crowdfunding the occasional game.

My first impressions are hopeful. The UI and control is very close to Homeworld. Even down to hitting space for the sensor map. The move system is well done, when you click, you open a wheel of orders for that ship to make. It needs a lot of tuning and takes some getting used to, but I can see where it's going with the system. I really enjoy the formation system and the hotkeys are similar to Homeworld.

The ships are slow and deliberate. It feels like a mix of Cold Waters or Battlefleet Gothic with a heavy Expanse vibe. Every ship is a distinct, named unit and you can tweak unit speeds and responses. When combat starts you need to give a lot of orders very quickly. The combat is fast and brutal and the ships all feel like glass cannons. I had a nice moment where I hid some ships behind an asteroid and used the other part of my fleet to kite the enemy into firing their missiles at them and follow them when they retreated. They passed the asteroid and my other ships popped out and filled them full of PDCs with a satisfying rattle and hiss. I have rarely seen a space combat game where you can pull off a move like that. It was straight out the stealth ship battle in The Expanse TV show.
I know "The Expanse" is going to be thrown around this thread like it's in CQC, but it's the best visual depiction I have seen of the space battles in the books, where combat is mostly about who can shine the brightest lasers and chaff at the other ships sensors while shooting torps and PDCS. I will also say the tutorial is very good at explaining how it all works.

The fleet builder is pretty straightforward but it's a little trial and error at the moment. I think there should be a variety of pre-made ships with clear classes to tweak for starting players and then build on that. But at the moment you are just putting in what you hope is right. It's not too complex and it's definitely fun messing around. This part is where the Wargame deck builder analogy comes into play. But if it's done right, it will be more like building a mech lance in Battletech. My advice starting out is to build a fleet of one ship and skirmish against an AI with the identical ship. It will give an idea of the capabilities of each weapon and ship and only controlling one ship will help you get to grips with flying and targeting without being overwhelmed.

I am not going to list all the things I think they should change here or the bugs I encountered. I will probably put that on the discord. I just wanted to give a general idea of what the gameplay is like and I really like it. Even if you are not dropping into the alpha, it's well worth keeping an eye on if you are into this type of game.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU