Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Grabbed this last night and played some of the tutorial missions and now I understand the issues some people were having with the sphere widget. I also find it difficult to find the right perspective to drop a movement order on a waypoint, it'll look like it's right on until I rotate the camera and then I realized its not all that close. The additional cues in the Sensor view make that a lot easier though.

I also kinda hate the aesthetics of the current ship set. They're a little too "tall" when compared to their width or length, but that's a pretty minor quibble, especially with more shipsets to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I get that it would kinda go against the premise of the game, but engagement ranges are so low that optical targeting systems should be viable. Cover your ship in wide angle telescopes (preferably sensitive in the infrared) and that should cover detection and tracking out to a substantial range. But as noted, eliminating an entire game mechanic in the name of realism isn't very smart.

What might be interesting are deployable, short lived IRST buoys as an anti-jamming mechanism.