Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006

Tomn posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about designing tanky ships? I find that even with a Solomon with lots of damage control it's not that hard for a heavy ship to be rendered combat ineffective, though the heavier the ship the more effort it takes to actually finish it off. Like, a battleship vs roughly its point value in heavy cruisers seems to lose pretty consistently simply because the more it gets shot up the less it's able to fight back in short order while one of the enemy cruisers is free to do whatever it wants without hindrance. Also embarrassing when an early shot plugs one of your reactors and your entire weapons array goes completely offline. Feels like designing something to take hits just doesn't work very well?

For beating heavy cruisers (or really any close range brawl) ensure you're bringing something more than just railguns. Railguns are great for their long range, high accuracy, and high travel speed but don't do as much damage as you'd expect: a 300mm diameter hole through your ship hurts, a 450mm packed full of explosive detonating inside the hull hurts much more. Ensure you have enough redundancy or spare capacity to survive some component losses: if you're running at 97% power capacity then as soon as the reactor output drops from damage expect weapons to go offline, especially if all you're bringing is something as power-hungry as railguns.

Note that you are absolutely right about it being hard to completely knock out a heavy ship. Killing a heavy ship takes either an extreme amount of firepower or an extreme amount of luck. Rendering it irrelevant or harmless is not easy, but is significantly more achievable. Once it stops firing back switch targets unless your guns have literally nothing else to do. Intel Centers can give you a rough estimate of an enemy ship's current condition.

And finally, never choose a fair fight. Use asteroids to restrict firing angles, emerge where unexpected, bring friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Also, has anybody manage to make an effective wild weasel type ship with the radar spoofer and amplifier? I tried it on the the smaller hulls, basically with that and otherwise filled up with PDCs, chaff, and anti-missile missiles, but couldn't quite yet get it to work. Even wholly dedicated to it, it seems like the smaller hulls simply can't bring enough counter measures to the table to survive a solid salvo on their own. It might work on the larger hulls, but that just doesn't quite seem worth the points.

Hypothetically you only need two things to make a perfect wild weasel: the 'Interruption' comms jammer dome and a VLS full of chaff. Hurricanes and Maces are command-guided which means they receive guidance from the launching vessel and at any reasonable engagement range the comms jammer will overpower those transmissions, leaving them entirely unguided. Gales and Thunderheads both seek radar returns with the only difference being whether the illuminator is on the launching vessel (Gales) or on the missile itself (Thunderheads), and a bundle of chaff is wildly more attractive than any ship to their undiscerning eyes. As for Squalls, since they are anti-radiation simply do not enable the jammer.

I say "hypothetically" because things are a lot fuzzier in an actual match than this whitepaper perfection. Even when blinded missiles will happily run straight into anything that has not moved sufficiently out of the way, and chaff deflection is more a matter of probability than certainty.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006

Tomn posted:

I feel like part of the issue is that shots often end up targeting and hitting the center of mass? Except that whole area may or may not contain critical systems, so even if you successfully gut the center of the ship you might not be hitting things like their engines or reactors or other systems necessary to keep the ship fighting, so repeated shots into the wrecked center don't really do anything because you've already burned out everything there.

Center mass targeting used to be how it worked until rather recently, I think the change was about a week ago. I'm not technical-minded enough to describe the new method accurately but its something like it selects a volume within the hull every few seconds and uses that for the targeting point. It does a pretty good job of spreading the fire across a ship without needlessly missing shots that would otherwise hit. Its most noticeable with a beam, you'll see it slew to one part of the ship, wiggle around there for a bit, then slew to a different part.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006

Pasha posted:

Dumb question, but I am pretty bad at RTS games. Does this game have a way to pause the game (at least in single player modes)?

Yes. There's a slowdown functionality bound to Ctrl+Space by default, called "Active Pause". You can configure the degree of slowdown in the accessibility options, all the way down to 0% speed (paused).

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
God yes, trashing Hurricanes is my drug of choice. Had a dude the other day whose entire fleet was frigates packed to the gills with Hurricanes. He launched an absolutely crushing salvo at my fleet, I turned my my jammer and watched them spiral into rocks. He launched another wave, I jammed again. This happened repeatedly until his magazines were dry and he ragequit the match. I have no idea why he kept launching at the one formation that provably had the hard counter to his missiles instead of the other three allies I had.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
A single-player campaign is planned. You can see the roadmap here: https://trello.com/b/ZNxJIGSQ/nebulous-public-roadmap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
You always want to be close to hard cover to duck out of the way of rails and missile swarms, or just to break a lock.