Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
With a massive help from megabound my camera took it's first photos today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for version 2! All eminently solvable issues. I was thinking about how you could.measure the advance with the dead roll of film I have you. Just mark up the start and end of the frame then run the advance until you get the spacing you want. I also think a pressure plate system would be nicer than the slits you have in the adjustable baffle at the moment. Also foam instead of felt for the baffle itself will get rid of that hair issue.

Still, good lessons!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Megabound posted:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for version 2! All eminently solvable issues. I was thinking about how you could.measure the advance with the dead roll of film I have you. Just mark up the start and end of the frame then run the advance until you get the spacing you want. I also think a pressure plate system would be nicer than the slits you have in the adjustable baffle at the moment. Also foam instead of felt for the baffle itself will get rid of that hair issue.

Still, good lessons!

Absolutely, giving it a crack in hand has really been enlightening. Much much to consider

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://home.camerabits.com/2023/11/12/changes-coming-to-photo-mechanic/

Photo Mechanic going subscription like everything else in this cursed hellscape

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing else makes money anymore so I'm surprised people even try perpetual licenses.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've had some free time on a laser cutter and have been building V2 pinhole

Idea is a pocketable half frame pinhole camera

Its looking good so far

Its like a micro brownie for lomography

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 15, 2023

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My Pentax K-5 started acting its age about 6 weeks ago. It was freezing up with the mirror up when I was out shooting with my newest lens, a 300mm F/4. I sent it to the nearest shop that handles Pentax, the next city over (about 1.5 hours away). The owner of the shop told me he'd have a look and see if it was possible to get parts to repair a camera that's more than 10 years old.

I'm pretty disappointed in this shop. Despite being, apparently, quite familiar with Pentax - he told me he shoots a K-1 and has been shooting Pentax for a long time - he couldn't replicate my problem, and claimed my camera could not autofocus. I told him that's very much not the problem I'd been having, and that I had set up my camera so it did not try to autofocus on a half-press of the shutter button, I use the AF button only. He sent it on to someone at Pentax Australia who, and this is hearsay, said that it needed a new shutter and that Pentax doesn't make replacement shutters for the K-5 anymore. So I asked him to send it back. It autofocuses fine, and while I haven't really tested it again, it seems to be working.

In the meantime, when it became clear that it was very unlikely I was going to get my K-5 back with some useful servicing, I bought a K-3 on eBay - it came from Japan, quickly and without any fuss. Only today have I gotten around to organising and uploading the first photos, uploaded without any edits except re-scaling to 2400px wide and JPEG conversion in ACDSee 2020.

Obviously, the first thing I shot was my cats.
New-to-me K-3 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New-to-me K-3 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And the baby magpies in the tree out front.
New-to-me K-3 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

For those of you who only ever look at your bookmarked threads, I made a new thread for posting your stupidly edited photos, for fun: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4047372

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I had an SD card die on me. The camera (a7Riii) would freeze when looking through the pictures and when I tried to import them to Lightroom on a Mac, Lightroom failed to import like 100 of them. Now the Mac won't even read the SD card. Is there some way to recover the RAW files from the SD card?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Try TestDisk (i've used it in the past) - https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Recuva is another recommended tool - https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Make sure you try the card with another reader too. I’ve had a card act faulty with one reader and then the files copy just fine with a different one.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My adventures in pinhole creation are continuing

So I've gone to version three, which is looking very promising with the lessons learnt from my previous builds

Its cool how you can see the lineage and what I have learnt along the way in the desIgn language

I only have access to the laser cutter for the next two weeks so there is a bit of a time crunch, but it's coming along really well

Edit

I think that's it, I'll post the files here and otherwheres soon enough

Jestery fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 22, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It seems sort of bullshit that Lightroom is the one thing from adobe not on sale for BF

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well, first full roll out of my V1 full frame pinhole

And I'll be having a crack with my newer one in some time

Here are the best ones from the first roll

I know these are deeply flawed and much work is needed, but some of them are nice nonetheless

And it's nice to see photos out of a home made "thing"

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Those are great 👍 😃 good job!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I really like the pinhole photos. They have character.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jestery came over yesterday and we made a couple pinholes together. I tried shooting mine with a flash.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I'm a moron who has always been curious about photography but been scared off by cost. It occurs to me that Cyber Monday would probably be as good a time as any to reevaluate my choices and consider the cost of an entry-level amateur hobbyist photography setup (camera, a couple lenses, accessories, etc). Nonetheless, I've waited incredibly late in the ballgame to do any research here, and the huge amount of info I'm trying to digest is causing some analysis paralysis.

What can $600-1200 get me? Is that even enough to improve upon a good phone's camera? I'd like to get a camera that lets me get some baseline experience with the hobby and can hopefully provide a foundation if I want to dive deeper. I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Innocuous posted:

What can $600-1200 get me? Is that even enough to improve upon a good phone's camera? I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot.

If you're willing to buy used and don't need the latest technology, you can easily find a mid-range DSLR that will provide much better photos and be more enjoyable to use than your phone camera. Even a brand new, entry level camera like a Canon Rebel T7 can be had for that range and it will make better photos than your phone.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
keh.com is 10% off most everything right now and is reputable for used gear. Do you know what you want size wise? Like is a DSLR too bulky?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

$1200 can definitely get you a full frame canon (5D or 6D line) and a 35/50mm lens. That would carry you a long time and was a pro capable setup a few years back.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Budget for lenses. They are way more important than the camera. A 5D mk2 came out in 2008 and I'd take that with the rest of your budget spent on some used primes over a brand new rebel and some kit lenses. I will say though that the latest mirrorless cams have autofocus that blows everything away from a few years ago, but then you still need to spend money on lenses.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, for $1200 you might be able to grab a user Canon R body and a 50 1.8. Can't go wrong with that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

TomR posted:

Budget for lenses. They are way more important than the camera. A 5D mk2 came out in 2008 and I'd take that with the rest of your budget spent on some used primes over a brand new rebel and some kit lenses. I will say though that the latest mirrorless cams have autofocus that blows everything away from a few years ago, but then you still need to spend money on lenses.

IMO mirrorless is just straight up easier to grasp for someone new to photography. Not just autofocus, but what you see in the viewfinder being the actual image you're going to capture, focus peaking, live histograms, etc etc...

DSLRs are still plenty good, but there is definitely much more of a learning curve to actually using them effectively.

Innocuous posted:

I'm a moron who has always been curious about photography but been scared off by cost. It occurs to me that Cyber Monday would probably be as good a time as any to reevaluate my choices and consider the cost of an entry-level amateur hobbyist photography setup (camera, a couple lenses, accessories, etc). Nonetheless, I've waited incredibly late in the ballgame to do any research here, and the huge amount of info I'm trying to digest is causing some analysis paralysis.

What can $600-1200 get me? Is that even enough to improve upon a good phone's camera? I'd like to get a camera that lets me get some baseline experience with the hobby and can hopefully provide a foundation if I want to dive deeper. I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you don't mind eeking just a little bit more out of your budget,
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1795712-REG/fujifilm_x_s10_mirrorless_camera_with.html

The XF18-55 kit lens (...basically the 'pack-in lens') is regarded as probably one of the best kit lenses you can get on any system, and the X-S10 is only a couple years old at this point and still extremely competitive feature-wise.

Re: multiple lenses, as someone who's just starting out unless you have a very good idea of why you want multiple lenses, there's not really any reason to not just get one general zoom lens like the 18-55 and learn on that. And if you see a situation where you think 'oh i wish this lens was wider/zoomed in more' then you can buy something to fix that gap.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Everyone has heard of tripods, but have you ever seen a quadrapod!

I got a folding camping table with adjustable legs for my box camera. It makes it so much easier to use the thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're ever looking to upgrade you could get one of the boston dynamics quadrupeds, should only run a couple hundred grand. Think how cool it would be for your box camera to follow you around!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, for $1200 you might be able to grab a user Canon R body and a 50 1.8. Can't go wrong with that.

There have been some insane refurb deals at Canon this round. R6 was like $1100 I think, and I’m sure the r7/8/10 were less.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

There have been some insane refurb deals at Canon this round. R6 was like $1100 I think, and I’m sure the r7/8/10 were less.

If those are official Canon refurbs I can't recommend them highly enough. Full warranty, like new gear for great prices.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

If those are official Canon refurbs I can't recommend them highly enough. Full warranty, like new gear for great prices.

It is, although it looks like they sold out of the good R bodies. Maybe worth checking back though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

when I first got my R this was also the lens I had (adapted EF)

the R is an underrated camera imo. yeah it’s been superseded but it’s still capable of incredible results (just check out my photos :smugmrgw:)

I’d one day love to upgrade but the upgrade path isn’t quite obvious. it seems like it fits somewhere between an R5 and R6, and the R6II seems like an excellent camera for a lot of reasons but it’s a good chunk of change for ultimately what wouldn’t be a huge step up. it’s not really like I’m all of a sudden gonna be taking better photos if I got it, altho better autofocus, dual slots, and better low light performance would be welcome

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wow, R5 at $2200 is the craziest value I’ve ever seen for pro gear.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

ishikabibble posted:

IMO mirrorless is just straight up easier to grasp for someone new to photography. Not just autofocus, but what you see in the viewfinder being the actual image you're going to capture, focus peaking, live histograms, etc etc...

DSLRs are still plenty good, but there is definitely much more of a learning curve to actually using them effectively.

I'm terrible at photography so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I agree that having a lot of information that's indecipherable to a new photographer is an easier learning curve than a viewfinder

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They mean the screen and viewfinder picture will match the final shot for those settings (if those options are enabled), not that the numbers will be displayed (dslrs did that too). If your picture is under or overexposed the LCD can show that real time before you click. It’s handy to see if your depth of field is too shallow too, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Wow, R5 at $2200 is the craziest value I’ve ever seen for pro gear.

Well worth it if one has the bread, every time I pick mine up I love using it. The pictures still suck but that's on me. The tool itself makes everything effortless.. the button and dial layout is perfection.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep. I shoot events and weddings more on the R6 with cRaw but that's just pure disk space savings and editing performance minded. But for anything where I want max quality the R5 is perfect. They're a perfect pair of bodies and I can't imagine what the next 10 years of camera tech will be (to say nothing of the crazy lenses we're getting from the RF mount).

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

They mean the screen and viewfinder picture will match the final shot for those settings (if those options are enabled), not that the numbers will be displayed (dslrs did that too). If your picture is under or overexposed the LCD can show that real time before you click. It’s handy to see if your depth of field is too shallow too, etc.

Yeah, this.

On a DSLR viewfinder you're looking through the lens and the only indicator you have for how the image will be exposed is a little meter bar, which can be reading whatever depending in how you have your metering mode set. It might say the settings are correct, but then you go to review the image and it's super under/overexposed, because the meter was actually just reading a shadow or highlight.

There was even someone posting in a thread here not too long ago, wondering why their DSLR was severely underexposing some images and not others.
And the answer was iirc, they had it set to center weighted metering without knowing, and had the bright blue sky in the center of their shots.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I was fishing around for affordable full frame sensor options that left room in the budget for lenses and accessories, so I ended up spending $714 on a used Canon EOS RP Mirrorless Camera from KEH. Tell me why this was dumb, and recommend me a good baseline lens for my bad choice, thanks in advance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rf 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8. 35 is my favorite walk around/do it all but 50 is the standard for a reason

The price of the 50 is also crazy (I have a mint one I'll sell you for $100 + shipping). Just snapped this photo with it minutes ago

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Bottom Liner posted:

Rf 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8. 35 is my favorite walk around/do it all but 50 is the standard for a reason

The price of the 50 is also crazy (I have a mint one I'll sell you for $100 + shipping). Just snapped this photo with it minutes ago

Sent you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ishikabibble posted:

There was even someone posting in a thread here not too long ago, wondering why their DSLR was severely underexposing some images and not others.
And the answer was iirc, they had it set to center weighted metering without knowing, and had the bright blue sky in the center of their shots.

Well that would still happen with a mirrorless, they would just realise it was changing at the time instead of when they got home.
The meterring bar probably also was showing them the change at the time too, they just didn't notice.

But yeah, metering with a DSLR is harder but with enough practise becomes second nature but at point, if they are brand new to photography, I'd just point them to mirrorless. The various systems are old enough now that the first/second gen cameras are pretty good deals.