Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Come join me in the new instant photography thread because I'm currently in love with Polaroid.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053219

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
If you're ever in Mexico City, there's an entire street just for camera gear. There are tons of little shops selling second hand cameras.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/camera+store/@19.4361748,-99.1362405,17.59z/data=!4m2!2m1!6e6?entry=ttu

Picked up a Pentax (Asahi) K1000 with a 50mm F2 lens for about $200 USD.

But bring your own film, holy poo poo it's expensive here.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Bought a box of camera stuff for about $60 at an auction, apparently this is a somewhat special lens! Well, I guess I'm into photography now as well, as if I need another expensive hobby!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

afen posted:

Bought a box of camera stuff for about $60 at an auction, apparently this is a somewhat special lens! Well, I guess I'm into photography now as well, as if I need another expensive hobby!

:eyepop:

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

afen posted:

Hot drat deal of the decade. $60 for a $1600-$2700 lens

Edit: also serial number 15000 wth

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:psypop:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

afen posted:

holy moly

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

afen posted:

You know, getting into photography is for nerds and you're right, it's expensive. I'd be happy to help you avoid that, just send it over here and forget this ever happened.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s incredible how just the design of that lens implies that it’s built to absolutely inhale light

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is anyone here familiar with the disassembly of the Pentax ME Super? I was out shooting last weekend at night with a cable release, and as I was getting out of my car with the cable release still screwed into the shutter button, the release got caught on something in the car and snapped the shutter button off in the camera. Thankfully it looks like a clean break, and the button was plastic so it didn't (or shouldn't have, hopefully) put a ton of force onto other parts of the camera when it snapped.

I ordered a new old stock metal shutter button from ebay. I'm wondering if I can somehow get the shutter button out through the mode selection dial that is on the top of the body, or do I have to take the whole top of the body off?

Other than the shutter button the camera is in great shape and works really well, so I'd like to dig into it the least amount possible

A314 in this diagram is what I snapped:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

You will have to take the top deck off to get to the shutter button but it shouldn't be a big job

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Thanks, guys! I've always been more into camcorders myself, so this will be a new experience. I've bought a roll of bog standard Fujifilm 400, just to see if the thing works.

I also got a couple of other lenses with the camera, but I'm struggling to mount the 135mm tele. The threads start alright, but they get very tight before the lens is tight against the body. There's a 135mm f:3.5 lens listed in the user manual for the Model 7, but maybe that's another type?

The other lens I have, a weird Ebata of some sorts, screws in just fine. Isn't M39 somewhat universal?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

afen posted:

Thanks, guys! I've always been more into camcorders myself, so this will be a new experience. I've bought a roll of bog standard Fujifilm 400, just to see if the thing works.

I also got a couple of other lenses with the camera, but I'm struggling to mount the 135mm tele. The threads start alright, but they get very tight before the lens is tight against the body. There's a 135mm f:3.5 lens listed in the user manual for the Model 7, but maybe that's another type?

The other lens I have, a weird Ebata of some sorts, screws in just fine. Isn't M39 somewhat universal?

Its possible the threads on the 135mm mount are just barely damaged.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Ebata looks like an enlarging lens to me. It won't have a focus helical and won't work on a camera. Enlargers also use M39

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Ziggy Smalls posted:

Its possible the threads on the 135mm mount are just barely damaged.

I can't really see any damage either, but I guess it doesn't take much to mess up this type of thread.

Megabound posted:

The Ebata looks like an enlarging lens to me. It won't have a focus helical and won't work on a camera. Enlargers also use M39

That's interesting! So it's used for enlarging while developing film? The only thing that's adjustable is the aperture, which goes from 3.5 to 16.

afen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 13, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Speaking of camcorders, this is more up my alley:

Canon XL2 with a Focus FS-5 FireWire recorder. I've since found a 3x lens for the camera, as the 20x one is almost unusable for indoor shooting.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

afen posted:

I can't really see any damage either, but I guess it doesn't take much to mess up this type of thread.

That's interesting! So it's used for enlarging while developing film? The only thing that's adjustable is the aperture, which goes from 3.5 to 16.

Yeah exactly, the focus stage on an enlarger is typically a bellow with the lens board on rails so there's no focus built into the lens itself. Also if you come across a lens in M39 that has an E at the start of the name it's most likely for enlargers. E.Ocean is another one I've seen about.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

afen posted:

M39 is unfortunately not universal. Leica/Leitz used a 1/26” thread pitch while many others used a 1mm one. To make matters worse early Canon M39 lenses used a 1/24” thread. So it’s not impossible that the 135mm in your possession simply won’t work on a Model 7 that uses the Leica standard.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Soviet M39 lenses also use a different focus pitch to the barnack copies made by the Japanese as they went for Contax standard instead of Leica after getting multiple factories as post-war reparations. Made sense back then as Contax was more popular and it's easier to make one set of pitches for all of your cameras.

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
Is there a resource for finding good photography books? I just checked out the Americans from my local library and would love to check out more but not sure what to look for. How does one find professional photographers, in general?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

grilledcheese posted:

Is there a resource for finding good photography books? I just checked out the Americans from my local library and would love to check out more but not sure what to look for. How does one find professional photographers, in general?

https://www.youtube.com/@photobookguy1380/videos

This is a great channel that highlights a ton of photobooks across all kinds of genres. I've started making a list of ones I'd like to have in print (and getting frustrated to see many of them are OOP).

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Have a look through the catalogs of good publishers, like steidl and mack

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
^ that's great, thanks. I've searched for a few photographers from steidl and found more books to check out. I also searched for magnum which brought up a few results.

Thanks Bottom Liner! Looking forward to getting into those videos.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Had another look at the 135mm lens and it does look like the threads are messed up.

Blasted through a roll of cheap Fujifilm 400 with the Canon just to see if it works at all, and nothing great came out of it. Probably didn't help that I went through the whole roll before I realized that the rangefinder is out of whack.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is anyone here familiar with the disassembly of the Pentax ME Super? I was out shooting last weekend at night with a cable release, and as I was getting out of my car with the cable release still screwed into the shutter button, the release got caught on something in the car and snapped the shutter button off in the camera. Thankfully it looks like a clean break, and the button was plastic so it didn't (or shouldn't have, hopefully) put a ton of force onto other parts of the camera when it snapped.

I ordered a new old stock metal shutter button from ebay. I'm wondering if I can somehow get the shutter button out through the mode selection dial that is on the top of the body, or do I have to take the whole top of the body off?

Other than the shutter button the camera is in great shape and works really well, so I'd like to dig into it the least amount possible

A314 in this diagram is what I snapped:

Well, turns out that the metal shutter button was from a different model of pentax and didnt fit mine (disappointing, because I can tell the plastic button will be a weak point), so I wound up ordering a whole-rear end broken ME Super off ebay just to steal the shutter button from. I swapped it over last night, and now my camera works again, and I have a parts body to pilfer things from if I need them, I guess

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

afen posted:

Had another look at the 135mm lens and it does look like the threads are messed up.

Blasted through a roll of cheap Fujifilm 400 with the Canon just to see if it works at all, and nothing great came out of it. Probably didn't help that I went through the whole roll before I realized that the rangefinder is out of whack.

Man these just tickle my brain in a good way even if you think they aren't great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like the picture of the person in the hat, regardless if it has a bit of missed focus.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

afen posted:

voted 5 coz of 135

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

BonoMan posted:

Man these just tickle my brain in a good way even if you think they aren't great.

Yeah, they're the good photos from the roll. The rest of the photos is mostly out of focus or too bright/dark, but it's probably more operator error than anyting else.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I really like the picture of the person in the hat, regardless if it has a bit of missed focus.

That's me! I like it as well, and it would be fun to see what this lens can do with another camera. My friend who actually knows how to take pictures has a Sony a7ii, and there are adapters available online.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
untitled-00006 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

For Sale in Mexico City.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would put something entirely inappropriate like portra 800 through that.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Superia 1600

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I’m a Canon R7 shooter but I got the opportunity to use a Sony a7 IV at an aquarium event paired with the 35mm F1.4 GM and while it wasn’t quite life changing it certainly made me think for a hot minute. I’m not sure if I could ever afford it but it’s definitely going on the “things I will never be able to afford” wishlist.

I brought a few lenses with me but I ended up almost exclusively using the trusty 50 1.8 because wow, I completely overestimated how much light there would actually be.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Posting here instead of landscape since these aren't my pictures. Good friend of mine was out in southwest Utah recently and he's gotten a mixed bag response on what looks better for this shot, color or B&W. I say B&W hands down. He polled reddit for opinions, which... would not be my first choice, and got an overwhelming response in favor of color. I am curious as to what the general opinion here might be.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Black and white for me, shows the texture better

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I like the contrast of the b/w version. The color one looks a little desaturated, at least on my phone (I know, I really should check it out on a monitor)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I only saw one I'd probably like whatever version that is just fine.

Next to each other, I think the biggest difference is that the B&W has a better crop. But I really like the color gradient so lean in that direction.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Black and White 100%

The Colour version with that band of colour midway through the top is distracting and takes away from the texture of the photo.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The colour in a different composition I think could be great. But as is the B&W is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Admiral Bosch posted:

Posting here instead of landscape since these aren't my pictures. Good friend of mine was out in southwest Utah recently and he's gotten a mixed bag response on what looks better for this shot, color or B&W. I say B&W hands down. He polled reddit for opinions, which... would not be my first choice, and got an overwhelming response in favor of color. I am curious as to what the general opinion here might be.

I think the foreground looks much better in B&W, which is what tips the scales for me.