Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

I used to go in abandoned places. Not ones that smelled of piss though, that's going to far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Welp, let's see how this goes.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A day of scoring and folding later

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 28, 2021

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Could double as a gear stick cover.

Was that a DIY project or...? Between the materials and time, I'm guessing it would probably be cheaper to just buy one.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

seravid posted:

Could double as a gear stick cover.

Was that a DIY project or...? Between the materials and time, I'm guessing it would probably be cheaper to just buy one.
DIY project for fixing up a small 6x6 folder. Bellows are the opposite of cheap, and they come in many different sizes and styles so there's no one size fits most. This cost like $3 in materials and an afternoon of listening to podcasts, not a bad rate.

e: I've done a post in the DIY repair thread about the processes and resources

Megabound fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 28, 2021

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, that camera you're fixing. How's that coming along?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Real good, this is like the last major step. It's all been cleaned and serviced, the shutter was good to go so no need to get in it, lenses came up well apart from the rear element but I'll see how it shoots before going deeper into cleaning it up. This weekend will be installing the bellows and a test roll. If I'm happy I'll recut all the leatherette and give it some nice new clothes.

After that I'm waiting on some tools and I'll be tacking the next project, an Officine Galileo Candog I. Interesting camera designed by a scientific instrument maker (lens, shutter, everything) and built by famous cheap Italian camera and film producer Ferrania. The Candog is the Australian market version of the Condor. Upmarket, tops out a 1/500th which is about the max you can get a leaf shutter, introduced in 1947. It's tiny, about the same size as an Olympus 35RC, which is the smallest 35mm rangefinder with aperture priority.

It'll need a complete disassembly and clean, a shutter service, lens cleaning and, a new mirror and new beam splitter for the rangefinder section. I've never done the rangefinder section before so that'll be interesting.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Megabound posted:

It'll need a complete disassembly and clean, a shutter service, lens cleaning and, a new mirror and new beam splitter for the rangefinder section. I've never done the rangefinder section before so that'll be interesting.

Sure, sure. Once, I've disassembled half a 1980s Minolta 50/1.7 to fix a sticky aperture, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

That's a lovely collection!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks! The 35RC is completely hosed so the Candog is my hopeful pocket camera. I've found Minolta lenses great to work on, very easy access.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone else constantly drop their backpack too close to their shooting location and have to kick it out of the way to make room for the tripod legs? Or is this my own special brand of stupid.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My bag is always directly under the tripod legs cause I'm fishing out film backs and loupes

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

So, I got a batch feed scanner for what I think is 10-12 thousand photo prints from my parents, but my brother and I are looking to sell the house in the next month or two and that still leaves all the negatives and slides. Are there any dorkroom recommended scanners for slides and negatives? I have a couple of Ektagraphic III projectors and 15 carousels for them, but that's obviously nowhere near enough to handle thousands of slides, nevermind store them, plus I'd like to scan them.

Any suggestions are welcome and before you ask, yes, both of my parents were pretty much textbook hoarders and it's taken us a few years to clear out the house and sort out the very rarely found treasure from the junk (not exaggerating, there were a few things I almost threw out without looking at them that I would have slapped myself in the head if I did.)

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 3, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Epson V600 or V700 is recommended around here and is what a fair few of us use. Scanning and editing film is quite labor intensive and you might appreciate something more automated. I know there's some Plustek OpticFilm 8200 users around here so maybe they can chime in on if that would be a better solution.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I had an Epson V600 and it could batch only batch scan in four 35mm slides at once or two strips six frames. If you were willing to spend the $$$ the V800 can batch scan in 12 slides or four strips of six frames but it's really expensive compared to the V600. I also had an Plustek 8000 which produced better results compared to the V600 but it's a manual feed, single frame scanner and really slow.

I thought scanning in film was the least fun, photography related process I had to do though. Dealing with dust, making sure the film was aligned correctly with the holders, then editing the scan was a PITA. If you're dealing with thousands of slides, I would suggest getting a quote and sending them somewhere to be professional done unless you enjoy the process.

mes fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 3, 2021

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

2nding getting a quote from a third party to scan it all, would be a huge loving nightmare to do yourself. just don't expect the highest quality and don't dump the originals. when they're all archived from someone else, use it as an index to selectively scan what's good.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Perkeo watch 2021, it's all back together and am now shooting a test roll.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Good work, that's one fine looking concertina.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Now there's a good background prop for a fancy video review.

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Is it relatively easy to attach the lens once you have the bellows made?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sleepytime posted:

Is it relatively easy to attach the lens once you have the bellows made?

Lens side was easy, there's a metal mounting plate that goes inside the bellows and a retaining ring that fits on the rear of the lens. Camera side was more painful, there's like a 4mm flange to glue to and getting that guy spotlessly clean and prepped was a right pain.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Test roll 1 shot, pretty successful!

What's everyone up to this week?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm gonna replace the bellows on my 8x10 camera

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
can we talk about the photos in the contest thread because there have been quite a few real rippers in the last few months

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i haven't read the contest thread in ages so i would love to see some of the top picks. i find it hard to participate (not in the sense that i want to change how it works) because i don't have a good workflow to shoot and process something within one month

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yes, never not chat. Post about photos in any thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think there was some kind of guideline in ancient times where if a photo you liked showed up in the low effort thread you could crosspost or link to it in PAD and talk about it there.

So if the thread with the photo you want to talk about got locked, maybe you could do something like that. Or start a thread purpose built for the task. Or post wherever.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm also OK with just unlocking the thread

e: The Feb contest thread is unlocked, I like the idea of keeping them that way after the comp is over for discussion on entries.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 11, 2021

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

bellows lugosi posted:

i haven't read the contest thread in ages so i would love to see some of the top picks. i find it hard to participate (not in the sense that i want to change how it works) because i don't have a good workflow to shoot and process something within one month

i always read it but i never participate for the same reason mainly. i also dont really practice in trying to shoot on a theme or anything like that anymore except just to follow my own intuition. maybe taking an external prompt would be productive for me

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i dont wwant to comment on the current thread because i want there to be impartial judging but there is a photo in there i like a lot

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Twenties Superstar posted:

i always read it but i never participate for the same reason mainly. i also dont really practice in trying to shoot on a theme or anything like that anymore except just to follow my own intuition. maybe taking an external prompt would be productive for me

That's my take on it. It's a fun exercise, even if I end up having nothing to show for it.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

seravid posted:

That's my take on it. It's a fun exercise, even if I end up having nothing to show for it.

Same. It's a prompt I have in the back of my mind when I go out to shoot and I take it as an opportunity to try to see something new or shoot a scene I might otherwise walk by. I use it to augment my normal sense of what I should shoot.

If it weren't for the motion blur theme I never would have tried ICM photography and I really loved it and now it's something I have in my arsenal should I see a scene in the future where I want to deploy it.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Same. It's a prompt I have in the back of my mind when I go out to shoot and I take it as an opportunity to try to see something new or shoot a scene I might otherwise walk by. I use it to augment my normal sense of what I should shoot.

Same. Sometimes I'll look through my catalog and see if there's anything I want to reshoot in a different way to fit, but for the most part it gives me a different way to look at things as I'm walking around.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Walking around truly is the common denominator among photographers

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Did I take up photography just to legitimise my innate flâneur. Quite possibly.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Twenties Superstar posted:

Walking around truly is the common denominator among photographers

I've made a huge mistake

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Speaking of ICM, this popped up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2rGplgQ3cA

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I've made a huge mistake

Got your back, buddy

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Now we're talking

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sleepytime posted:

Speaking of ICM, this popped up today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2rGplgQ3cA

Andrew Gray's stuff rubs me the wrong way. It's ICM with about 69 hours rebuilding the scene in photoshop.

On one hand the results are generally nice, but on the other, he doesn't even really need a camera for what he produces. It's cool that he likes doing it but it's too much processing for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

all i want to do in life is drive around endlessly taking photographs