Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I found this wiki entry interesting just now while reading about street photography.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Cassius Belli posted:

If macro interests you, for the record, you can get in really cheap, with all the optical quality of your existing kit, by getting a reverse-mount ring. It turns your box stock 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro (with an admitted price of extremely tight working distance). Fine focus is done with the ring (if your lens permits this); gross focus you provide by moving the camera.

Some of the newer electrical-aperture-control-only lenses do not like being mounted this way, or you have to do set-preview-unmount-reverse dances, but overall I think it's some of the most fun you can have in photography for literally :10bux:-:20bux:.

Seconding this. As you have a flash already a $5 diffuser like this will really improve your macro shots too.

All you need is a garden and you will have plenty to shoot. Or maybe get into miniature photography? Got any Legos or Warhammer kicking about in a box in the attic?

And when you are ready to upgrade to a specific lens then F mount has loads of great options under £300.

Ihmemies posted:

Apparently this would be a proper thread for this. I've been wasting time trying to figure out how to shoot photos of lenses. It is difficult.

Btw I've very much enjoyed reading your struggles. If you can be bothered to continue documenting your process change improvements, please do.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 4, 2023

cats
May 11, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Honestly I'd just reach out to him and say thanks for the chat and maybe something might come out of it where you're their backup in case they need coverage or something -- but don't expect anything more or push anything.

If any of the other team photos turned out good you can still use em for your portfolio so they're not all wasted v :) v

Thanks, that's a good idea! Unfortunately that particular school is nearly two hours away, but I'll keep an eye out for similar opportunities when they play closer.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Cassius Belli posted:

If macro interests you, for the record, you can get in really cheap, with all the optical quality of your existing kit, by getting a reverse-mount ring. It turns your box stock 50mm lens into a 1:1 macro (with an admitted price of extremely tight working distance).

I actually have a reverse-mount ring. I experimented with it shooting extreme close-ups of miniatures with a reversed kit lens.

It was fun, but I'd like to try something that can capture a small scene. I might be able to afford an extension tube set. And I have a boatload of miniatures still from my D&D days.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

LiterallyATomato posted:

I live in a lovely suburb outside of Seattle. I'm always afraid of trying street because I'm afraid people will think I'm some kind of pervert (I'm trans, so bigots have that perception of me already,) or that someone will assault me or break my camera.

Industrial areas could work.

Do you know any examples of anyone who shoots suburbia hellscapes? I'm curious to see examples.

https://www.robinlayton.com/products/the-lake

There’s an absolutely obnoxious amount of stuff to shoot around here. I usually just choose a green spot on the map and go check it out.

Early morning is a good time to explore the downtown areas nobody gets up until like 9.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

John Gossage - The Pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJsQBLakfIc

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I’ve always mostly sucked at landscapes (struggling with finding good compositions and especially using really wide angles) so maybe it’d make more sense to try to put some effort into that?

IMO the telephoto you use for birds is a great landscape lens; people assume you need a WA for landscapes but too often it's nigh impossible to fill the frame with an interesting composition (unless you have something compelling in the foreground and need to fit both in!). Using a long lens for landscapes lets you pick out particular details and compositions, try it.

LiterallyATomato posted:

What's a cheap genre to shoot? I have a decent body (Nikon D850) and a range of lenses (range of primes and a 100-400.) And a mediocre tripod.

However I used to love travel officially, but a child and a divorce have left me broke.

Aside from landscapes, any suggestions? I don't have any lighting equipment or backdrops, no macro lenses, no other specialty equipment but a single speedlight.

The early days of consumer photography (and bicycling) led to the production of the "bicycle camera", basically a folding box camera amateurs would chuck on their bikes for day trips. If you already have a bicycle, you could try this out in your area with your existing setup.

You can also get a 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor for cheap on eBay (you don't really need the 1:1 extension tube for D&D miniatures).

Semi-OT, but if you have a console, something I found that scratched the itch a bit during covid lockdowns was the photo mode in open world games (RDR2, Shadow of the Colossus, Witcher 3, etc). Been meaning to try and print some in the darkroom using a digital negative.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My 100-500 is my favorite landscape lens, narrow field of view for life. The image quality loss when photographing through 10 miles of atmospheric haze is a style choice!

Shame it's so heavy, it's a real love hate situation after lugging it on my back for ten miles.

Also good for birds and flowers I guess.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm helping my brother in law with some Amazon 360 degree photos for his company's products (just low voltage infrastructure stuff like wall faceplates, IT stuff etc).

Most of it will be 3D rendered, but there's a few things they don't have models for.

I'm good camera wise, but was looking for a turntable that can specifically do 5 degree increments. Amazon specifically requires 24, 48 or 72 photos.

Client wants the 72 option but only turntables I can find go up to 64.

Any good customizable turntables out there?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ComXim has several that might work for you. The standard basic one can be stepped in .5 degree increments with the remote although it would be a lot of clicking if you are doing a 360. There is also one with a USB interface that can be controlled from a computer and I imagine there are more options there. Saw someone on Reddit wrote a piece of software to drive both this and a camera to automate the process.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9.4000014446488

https://reddit.com/r/photogrammetry/s/BDqWuSJWS5

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 6, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

ComXim has several that might work for you. The standard basic one can be stepped in .5 degree increments with the remote although it would be a lot of clicking if you are doing a 360. There is also one with a USB interface that can be controlled from a computer and I imagine there are more options there. Saw someone on Reddit wrote a piece of software to drive both this and a camera to automate the process.

Thanks! Yeah I looked at that one but didn't realize there was a USB one!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

LiterallyATomato posted:

What's a cheap genre to shoot? I have a decent body (Nikon D850)

Not to derail, but is a D850 no longer considered a premium camera? You kids and your mirrorless.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Brrrmph posted:

Not to derail, but is a D850 no longer considered a premium camera? You kids and your mirrorless.

I don't think you read my entire post. I already owned the camera, then went broke.

You adults and your poor reading comprehension.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got a new camera to play with:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I bought a new-to-me lens that had been on my gear-wishlist for years: Pentax DA* 300mm F/4 blahblahblah.

I've been ignoring my camera, and pretty much everything else related to this hobby for a long time, but my wife's birthday is coming up and she recently let slip that she'd like me to get a new camera for myself and let her have my K-5 (after I send it for servicing - it's a bit over 98 000 shutter actuations at this point and acts a little strange sometimes). Rather than do that, I took it as an excuse to spend some money and I bought a lightly-used K-70 for her, cleaned the bayonet mount on the K-5 with a little alcohol (it had been failing to recognize the lens attached) and then got this thing for myself.

The lens arrived yesterday and I took it to work today - the University of New England in Armidale, NSW, Australia. There are worse places to wander around with bird-lens.

As required by the laws of God and Man, one of the first pictures I took with this new toy was of one of our cats.
New 300mm Lens 04 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

This was the kick I needed to get back into editing and uploading photos. Of course, all I did tonight was my favourites from today's walking around sessions, but it's a start.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welcome back!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone want to throw out recommendations for a compact mirrorless camera? I currently have a Canon T3i, and I find myself leaving it at home all the time because its big and bulky and I have analysis paralysis choosing which of 15 lenses to bring and I'm just kind of tired of the whole thing.

I have some travel coming up and instead of lugging my whole Canon DSLR setup with, I'm bringing my Gopro 12, setting it to raw mode for photos, a small tripod and a small gimbal and thats it.

Ultimately I'm undecided if I want interchangeable lenses on said small mirrorless camera, I like the choice, and I like primes better than zooms, but I also dont want to collect a million lenses again. I have my eye on some used Canon EOS-M's, but ultimately I probably wont get one because to do what I really want to do with it, I need to mess with magic lantern and in the name of simplification, I dont really want to.

Ideally:

-Interchangeable lenses (EF-S would be nice, as thats what I have), or a good non-interchangeable prime, or a really good zoom lens (this is very helpful, I know)
-Shoots RAW, has the ability to use manual controls
-4K video would be nice

I'm looking in the $500 range and I keep coming back to a used G7x or an EOS-M, but I wanted to solicit other opinions as well. In an ideal world I'd cough up the money for a Fuji X100V but I dont think thats in the cards.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2023

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
An X-T20 may be a good fit, but with a lens it’ll probably be closer to $700-800 used. Fuji bodies seem to be holding their value the last couple years.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So coming back to this - since it was a rush job and I didn't have a lot of time to futz around, I got the Foldio360 + Foldio3 set. Def more expensive. $280 for lightbox and turntable. But the app is killer and even has a (WORKING!) auto background-removal that works surprisingly well. Worth the extra coin if you need a one stop solution.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Anyone want to throw out recommendations for a compact mirrorless camera? I currently have a Canon T3i, and I find myself leaving it at home all the time because its big and bulky and I have analysis paralysis choosing which of 15 lenses to bring and I'm just kind of tired of the whole thing.

I have some travel coming up and instead of lugging my whole Canon DSLR setup with, I'm bringing my Gopro 12, setting it to raw mode for photos, a small tripod and a small gimbal and thats it.

Ultimately I'm undecided if I want interchangeable lenses on said small mirrorless camera, I like the choice, and I like primes better than zooms, but I also dont want to collect a million lenses again. I have my eye on some used Canon EOS-M's, but ultimately I probably wont get one because to do what I really want to do with it, I need to mess with magic lantern and in the name of simplification, I dont really want to.

Ideally:

-Interchangeable lenses (EF-S would be nice, as thats what I have), or a good non-interchangeable prime, or a really good zoom lens (this is very helpful, I know)
-Shoots RAW, has the ability to use manual controls
-4K video would be nice

I'm looking in the $500 range and I keep coming back to a used G7x or an EOS-M, but I wanted to solicit other opinions as well. In an ideal world I'd cough up the money for a Fuji X100V but I dont think thats in the cards.

I’d probably check out if any Canon EOS Mxx cameras fit your budget. You could get a nice prime to go with it for a compact setup and an adapter to use the lenses you already have. That or sell them all and keep it simple with a prime, a zoom and that’s it. MPB.com seems to have a few options at least.

I think that’d get you a nice upgrade (wrt image quality) and still have a compact kit. Does sound like you have some specific use cases in mind though, so apologies if this doesn’t help. Recommend checking some out in person too, to get a better idea what might fit your criteria.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
What's the cheapest mirrorless with a viewfinder?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Need to narrow that question down a bit more.
You mean new? Then Canon R100 maybe?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Used is better actually. I'm just looking for something with interchangeable lenses and a somewhat usable viewfinder for as cheap as possible. My kid wants a "real" digital camera but my dslr is too heavy and I don't want to hand him a $2000 camera body

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

e:nm misread

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2023

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I am alternating between still photography and practicing with a gimbal for video. I have to take the camera strap off every time I use the gimbal since it gets tangled up. Is there a good strap I can clip on and off the little triangle hooks?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

big black turnout posted:

Used is better actually. I'm just looking for something with interchangeable lenses and a somewhat usable viewfinder for as cheap as possible. My kid wants a "real" digital camera but my dslr is too heavy and I don't want to hand him a $2000 camera body

The early m4/3 olympus om-d cameras are surprisingly cheap

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

clockworkjoe posted:

I am alternating between still photography and practicing with a gimbal for video. I have to take the camera strap off every time I use the gimbal since it gets tangled up. Is there a good strap I can clip on and off the little triangle hooks?

Peak Design camera strap

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Ziggy Smalls posted:

The early m4/3 olympus om-d cameras are surprisingly cheap

I think this might be the one. Thanks so much

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

huhu posted:

Peak Design camera strap

Agreed, it's a great product. You can even get anchor links that let you convert an old school strap to use their anchoring system.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The new bokeh lens blur engine in Lightroom is pretty interesting and effective. This is default strength with different blade patterns (original on left).

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Bottom Liner posted:

The new bokeh lens blur engine in Lightroom is pretty interesting and effective. This is default strength with different blade patterns (original on left).

Yea, these new updates are wild.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Inspired my Megabound I've begun building a pinhole

To be real honest a lot of numbers and sizes and fstops was really intimidating, but I discovered pinhole cameras that ignore a lot of that and it seems like a fine place to start for a little project

I am in a workshop fairly regularly and a pinhole camera seemed fairly simple so I raided the scraps bin, fired up the laser cutter and table saw and got to work

Figured a 0.3 pinhole, 50mm focal length were some nice round numbers that yeilded a box that was big enough to work in, but small enough to handle

I really wanted something that accepts standard 35mm rolls cos disassembling a home made contraption in a dark room seems like poor thing to design into it, and I want to be able to field reload it

Its still very much WIP, but it's beginning to look the part

I've since blacked out the interior too

I just need to get some felt to light seal/make the wipes and make the pinhole and I'll be off to the races

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm definitely going to try it out and use it if the results are consistently on par with a real aperture change. They are all just tools!

Jestery posted:

Inspired my Megabound I've begun building a pinhole

This is really cool! Definitely share the final result.

I don't post my family on social media but my kid has a little following on my work's #random slack channel for her various adventures and sometimes I slip my other stuff in between her. Someone just asked if they could paint my photos because they were just starting to learn and wanted to use them as inspiration. At my level that felt surreal to inspire someone's art and they just sent me their first go. Rough but probably better than I'd paint if I tried!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm definitely going to try it out and use it if the results are consistently on par with a real aperture change. They are all just tools!

This is really cool! Definitely share the final result.

]

For sure

My long term is to see if I can hack together a cyanotype development process, I don't really have the ability to set up a permanent dark room , and don't want to gently caress with developing chems beyond cyanotype or maaaaaaybe silver nitrate salt printing.

Will probably buy a transpancy printer and go the contact printing route...

I have a few ideas (turmeric ? Pinhole enlarger? Sheet film?)but I'll worry about that later and I'll be sure to post the journey

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I don't post my family on social media but my kid has a little following on my work's #random slack channel for her various adventures and sometimes I slip my other stuff in between her. Someone just asked if they could paint my photos because they were just starting to learn and wanted to use them as inspiration. At my level that felt surreal to inspire someone's art and they just sent me their first go. Rough but probably better than I'd paint if I tried!

That's not rough, that's excellent. A compliment to your photo.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Busy day

Light seal and wipes done,

I'll probably laser cut the next one, but this should do for now

Did some anthotyping just to get my head aro5 absolute basic development, and it's fun

And I'm currently seeing how a Wildly hacked together camera made from scrap cardboard and dollar store optics makes a turmic print, sitting at a 2-3 hour exposure

UPDATE, it didn't work which is unsurprising but I thiiiink I saw something so I'm going to do a full day exposure tomorrow to confirm/deny

Also the camera is now built, a bit of fit an finish here and there but it's done

Just need to sort out if it's light proof , and I'm good to go

Jestery fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 14, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone just asked if they could paint my photos because they were just starting to learn and wanted to use them as inspiration. At my level that felt surreal to inspire someone's art and they just sent me their first go. Rough but probably better than I'd paint if I tried!

This is super rad and lately I've found myself staring at a scene thinking "this is a poo poo photo but I bet a painter could do some sick interpretation of this".

Not to suggest you took a poo poo photo. It's just something that's been on my mind lately, when I take a picture I feel obligated to make it look as honest as possible but if I was painting and moved a rock over or created an epic sunset no one would ever question it.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Any dorkroom print exchanges going on this year? Had a good time last year with it

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

cerious posted:

Any dorkroom print exchanges going on this year? Had a good time last year with it

I know I mostly lurk, but I would also enjoy participating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm doing my every-three-years first aid re-cert for work, and in the online component before Monday's class, some of the videos include some sensor dust that my photo-brain can't ignore or unsee.

Only registered members can see post attachments!