Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I bought a new-to-me lens that had been on my gear-wishlist for years: Pentax DA* 300mm F/4 blahblahblah.

I've been ignoring my camera, and pretty much everything else related to this hobby for a long time, but my wife's birthday is coming up and she recently let slip that she'd like me to get a new camera for myself and let her have my K-5 (after I send it for servicing - it's a bit over 98 000 shutter actuations at this point and acts a little strange sometimes). Rather than do that, I took it as an excuse to spend some money and I bought a lightly-used K-70 for her, cleaned the bayonet mount on the K-5 with a little alcohol (it had been failing to recognize the lens attached) and then got this thing for myself.

The lens arrived yesterday and I took it to work today - the University of New England in Armidale, NSW, Australia. There are worse places to wander around with bird-lens.

As required by the laws of God and Man, one of the first pictures I took with this new toy was of one of our cats.
New 300mm Lens 04 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

This was the kick I needed to get back into editing and uploading photos. Of course, all I did tonight was my favourites from today's walking around sessions, but it's a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm doing my every-three-years first aid re-cert for work, and in the online component before Monday's class, some of the videos include some sensor dust that my photo-brain can't ignore or unsee.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My Pentax K-5 started acting its age about 6 weeks ago. It was freezing up with the mirror up when I was out shooting with my newest lens, a 300mm F/4. I sent it to the nearest shop that handles Pentax, the next city over (about 1.5 hours away). The owner of the shop told me he'd have a look and see if it was possible to get parts to repair a camera that's more than 10 years old.

I'm pretty disappointed in this shop. Despite being, apparently, quite familiar with Pentax - he told me he shoots a K-1 and has been shooting Pentax for a long time - he couldn't replicate my problem, and claimed my camera could not autofocus. I told him that's very much not the problem I'd been having, and that I had set up my camera so it did not try to autofocus on a half-press of the shutter button, I use the AF button only. He sent it on to someone at Pentax Australia who, and this is hearsay, said that it needed a new shutter and that Pentax doesn't make replacement shutters for the K-5 anymore. So I asked him to send it back. It autofocuses fine, and while I haven't really tested it again, it seems to be working.

In the meantime, when it became clear that it was very unlikely I was going to get my K-5 back with some useful servicing, I bought a K-3 on eBay - it came from Japan, quickly and without any fuss. Only today have I gotten around to organising and uploading the first photos, uploaded without any edits except re-scaling to 2400px wide and JPEG conversion in ACDSee 2020.

Obviously, the first thing I shot was my cats.
New-to-me K-3 01 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New-to-me K-3 02 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

And the baby magpies in the tree out front.
New-to-me K-3 03 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr