Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ominous Jazz posted:

A friend is hiring me to take pictures of her custom airsoft guns. It's definitely one of those "excuses to give a friend money" type transactions but I have a product shaped gap in my portfolio. Is there a thread for (airsoft) guns specifically? They're definitely doing ME the favor but I wanna push myself.

There is an airsoft/airgun subforum under TFR so there might be some threads of value in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=277

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Toalpaz posted:

I'm never going to be like, good at photography in a meaningful sense. And it's not like I do it for the fame and external validation, but I think this is literally the least rewarding hobby socially I've ever had.

The act itself is satisfying. Just that no one I know, enjoys photos - and it's probably a mistake to try and force my interest on them and show them mine. It just makes me feel like I'm in my own world on the moon spending hours reviewing photos and editing them and taking them.

Weird e/n posting but yeah.

I don't think I'm particularly good at photography either to be honest.

My perspective after 10 years is that its a sort of visual diary and occasionally I like some of the shots enough to get framed.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Just taking a look at other product photography of lenses it seems like yours has the highlights a little blown out and the resulting contrast from that gives a slightly harsh look. Do you have any way to soften your fill flash? maybe experiment with shooting it through the sides of your light box.

If the slightly dramatic look is what you're going for then I think it looks good.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. I tried adding some highlights to the lens elements: I draped a white cloth to a chair behind the lens, so it picks the white reflection. I added more light to the left side button, and to left side in general. Maybe this setup is finally good enough so I can try to take other kinds of photos of the lens too :v:

I'm trying to write a lens review, and doing a comprehensive lens review is a daunting task. I have tons of great example photos, but I need photos of the actual lens, some coma, sharpness, sunstars, bokeh shape, (Lo)CA, vignetting etc test photos. I'm working on the product photos first. Review has been written already ages ago.

This looks much better. Good idea adding the white cloth reflection.

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 30, 2023

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
For those longer reflections I imagine you could use a pair of something like these rectangular softboxes.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342020-REG/godox_sb_nb_50130_sb_nb_50x130cm_softbox_bowens.html

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

big black turnout posted:

Used is better actually. I'm just looking for something with interchangeable lenses and a somewhat usable viewfinder for as cheap as possible. My kid wants a "real" digital camera but my dslr is too heavy and I don't want to hand him a $2000 camera body

The early m4/3 olympus om-d cameras are surprisingly cheap

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

afen posted:

Bought a box of camera stuff for about $60 at an auction, apparently this is a somewhat special lens! Well, I guess I'm into photography now as well, as if I need another expensive hobby!

Hot drat deal of the decade. $60 for a $1600-$2700 lens

Edit: also serial number 15000 wth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

afen posted:

Thanks, guys! I've always been more into camcorders myself, so this will be a new experience. I've bought a roll of bog standard Fujifilm 400, just to see if the thing works.

I also got a couple of other lenses with the camera, but I'm struggling to mount the 135mm tele. The threads start alright, but they get very tight before the lens is tight against the body. There's a 135mm f:3.5 lens listed in the user manual for the Model 7, but maybe that's another type?

The other lens I have, a weird Ebata of some sorts, screws in just fine. Isn't M39 somewhat universal?

Its possible the threads on the 135mm mount are just barely damaged.