Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Ok, there's a decent deal on the Topaz software for Black Friday. I don't generally think their sharpen is magic on recovering out of focus images, but I wondered if the suite was worth it in general.

I've ended up using all 3 (Sharpen/Gigapixel/DeNoise). I probably use DeNoise the most because I often shoot at stupidly high ISO. It's way more effective than the the noise reduction in Lightroom. Sharpen doesn't work miracles but there are times it can salvage an OOF or blurry photo, and if you want to take the time on an already-pretty-good photo it's probably a little better than Lightroom. I haven't used Gigapixel as much or compared it to the LR Enhance-supersize or whatever it is. Sometimes it works like a charm making something out of heavily cropped images but definitely look at your OOF areas because I've had it put weird patches instead of nice subtle bokeh on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah as someone who's winter is just occasional rain and half-assed greening up I'd love some actual winter.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been doing some little local markets and crafts fairs and most of them have pretty reasonable vendor fees like $30 - $50. It's one casual way to get strangers looking at your photos and heck it only takes a couple of sales to make that fee back. I don't make a ton of money and it can take a LOT of prep time sometimes to get ready but it's usually a fun day once I'm all set up. People are generous with their compliments and it makes me actually print stuff. I'll try to have at least one or two new prints in case someone comes back that's seen me before.

It's getting a little harder to find them that don't require a real business (biz license/sales permits) but some of them still don't care.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have the cash to do what you’re doing now but your thought process definitely rings a bell for me. I’d love to do a landscape and/or night photography workshop. Probably the ideal solution is to book a landscape trip somewhere interesting and then tack on a couple extra days to fart around by myself or hire a guide to maximize the extra time for some local wildlife (or more time with the new landscape techniques). If I liked the workshop/group trip experience I could do more of those along with wildlife focused trips.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Make sure you try the card with another reader too. I’ve had a card act faulty with one reader and then the files copy just fine with a different one.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, for $1200 you might be able to grab a user Canon R body and a 50 1.8. Can't go wrong with that.

There have been some insane refurb deals at Canon this round. R6 was like $1100 I think, and I’m sure the r7/8/10 were less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

If those are official Canon refurbs I can't recommend them highly enough. Full warranty, like new gear for great prices.

It is, although it looks like they sold out of the good R bodies. Maybe worth checking back though.