Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Twenties Superstar posted:

whats your preferred approach for putting up and collapsing a tripod personally i like to unfasten everything then pull each leg one by one. back the other way just push them all in at once and lock up

I go one leg at time. Unfasten all the QR, pull/push, move to the next.

Doesn't unfastening everything from the start cause the other two legs to telescope down on their own while you're working on the first one? That could be hazardous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

What will you do with the repaired product?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Could double as a gear stick cover.

Was that a DIY project or...? Between the materials and time, I'm guessing it would probably be cheaper to just buy one.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Oh yeah, that camera you're fixing. How's that coming along?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Megabound posted:

It'll need a complete disassembly and clean, a shutter service, lens cleaning and, a new mirror and new beam splitter for the rangefinder section. I've never done the rangefinder section before so that'll be interesting.

Sure, sure. Once, I've disassembled half a 1980s Minolta 50/1.7 to fix a sticky aperture, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

That's a lovely collection!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Now there's a good background prop for a fancy video review.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Twenties Superstar posted:

i always read it but i never participate for the same reason mainly. i also dont really practice in trying to shoot on a theme or anything like that anymore except just to follow my own intuition. maybe taking an external prompt would be productive for me

That's my take on it. It's a fun exercise, even if I end up having nothing to show for it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Sub Rosa posted:

I've made a huge mistake

Got your back, buddy

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I posted a few photos (and a couple more just now) in the traveling thread and looking at them got me thinking about styles. We talked about this on the discord, but that was about an overall Dorkroom style. I'm talking personal. Maybe "style" isn't the right word. Some photographers have a certain je ne sais quoi that make their images recognizable. Be it color grading, composition, subject matters... Approaches, traits, patterns, thesaurus, whatever it is, some people have/follow them and some, apparently, don't. Is that a pro or a con? Looking at the photos each of us have posted here, could anyone tell that they were all taken by a single person? Is that something that a photographer who's not looking for fame and/or fortune should even pursue? Is there such a thing as "our own voice"? The answer seems obvious, yet when you think of Ansel Adams (just to pick one), a certain, consistent type of photography comes to mind. And who wouldn't want to be like him?

seravid fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 21, 2021

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Everything is cool, focus on having fun taking pictures.

Definitely my way of thinking after... holy moly, 16 years. I am old.

I agree that there are multiple posters here that I think I would recognize, and I'm pretty sure I'm not part of that group. To be clear: that doesn't bother me, I just think this is an interesting topic. The closest thing to a recognizable style I could have would be with macro photography, which is also my most prolific genre. I have photographed many, many bugs and I know what I'm looking for regarding how to frame and expose them (actually achieving these shots is another matter). Maybe it is as simple as that.

I took on a new subject a few months ago: individual trees. Tree portraits? For once, I am trying to find a specific way - my way - to photograph something and it has been a valuable and frustrating experience. I'm still in the phase where I'm mostly trying to apply lessons learned from watching the work of more experienced photographers and blaming my failures on my surroundings which are clearly inferior to theirs. My forests have 200% more wild, unruly branches than theirs.

real nap poo poo posted:

Basically this, I think. You can't force anything. Henri Cartier-Bresson said "When you’re photographing you’re not trying to push a point to explain something, to prove something. You don’t prove anything. It comes by itself."

There's certainly such a thing as "our own voice", it just comes out naturally when you let it, I think.

I appreciate the sentiment, but that's a really difficult point of view for me to adopt. It's the kind of thing I imagine a piano or violin prodigy would say with total sincerity to their older and more experienced but cruelly less talented peers.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shot some bark today:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm thinking about framing some prints, to give as gifts... and also maybe keep a couple to hang on the wall. Any basic tips? For context, 5 minutes ago I didn't know "matting" was a thing. My first instinct was to go simple: go to the store, buy some properly sized (no borders, then) black/white frames, place the photo inside and be done with it, but it seems like there might be a lot more to it than that!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I would definitely spring for museum glass (or that’s what’s it’s called here). The non reflective glass. I just got normal glass on some framed work and every time I see the room lights reflected on the photo I realise my terrible mistake.

Good point, didn't think of that. I'm guessing the cheapo Ikea frames I was looking at are very reflective... and might not even be glass.

torgeaux posted:

Go to some of the online print companies (mpix, for one) and look at their options. You may not buy thru them, but you'll see what the framing options look like, as well as the print styles that need no frame.

I'm going to ask my usual printer to frame one photo on my next order but yeah, it doesn't cost me anything to check what other companies offer. As for prints that don't need a frame, I recently tried metal prints and liked the result. I'll definitely be ordering them again.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Good to know! No reason to be a snob about this, I guess I should just buy a couple of every kind and see what works and what doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Went on a business trip to a city I'd never visited before and brought along my camera with only a 50mm, in case I had some free time. I did and it was nice to not carry all my kit. I had a great time, but zooming with your feet has limitations and I lost some shots for sure. Who knows when I'll be back? With that same light and weather?

What do you bring along when visiting new places? A standard zoom? Just a prime (or two) ? Everything?