Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Feels auspicious for my first post in The Dorkroom to be so early in the new chat thread.

Hi! I just bought a Canon 5D Mk III as my first real camera. I have no idea what I'm doing!

People keep asking me what I like to shoot, and I have no idea because I haven't taken any shots yet. My favorite photographer is Stacy Kranitz, though, so she is sort of an inspiration for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hey so I took my first photos :toot:

I found some reddit course thing I'm going to try to work through that said to start with picking your favorite photo and a photo of a window, so of what I shot today I picked my favorite, and also here is the window pick.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Megabound posted:

These are nice! For beginners I always recommend this YouTube playlist its as much composition and techinque as it is operational basics, but whatever vibes with you and gets you out shooting!

These would be more than welcome in the landscape thread.

Thanks, I posted them there as well, and I will check out that playlist. I have a lot of videos queued. Also I bought a couple books for 2 bucks each yesterday. One is Photography by Bruce Warren which looks pretty good, like an old textbook, but it's pre-digital. And the second book is digital specific. No shortage of resources.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Twenties Superstar posted:

Walking around truly is the common denominator among photographers

I've made a huge mistake

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Now we're talking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

xzzy posted:

It's hilarious to me how many iconic natural landscapes have been taken from a car parking lot. Photographers are actually extremely lazy.

I was laying down in my hotel bed when I shot this