Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
(thought it would be okay to ask a general question here)

I've never been much good at photography, but I thought it might be a good thing to get my mind off some bad stuff. I have a Rebel XSi (an old, entry level model, I think; sadly no video capabilities, a year or so too early for that). I only got it back recently, after lending it for what ended up being 5 years, so I'm really rusty.

But anyway, I wanted to ask about storage. These pictures take up a lot space. I probably should just dedicate a drive for archiving, but is there is there a smarter or dumber way of saving photos? Do I need them to stay at 5MB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. Should I also be saving RAW files, or is that something I should only worry about if I get more serious about photography?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yikes, the CR2 files are ~5x bigger. (That's still tens of thousands of photos in a TB drive)