Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

xzzy posted:

I assume they'll immediately start up a new site and keep doing their thing. It'll be smaller and lower budget but they've been at it so long I don't know why they'd quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6T3qWI2c-Y

Chris and Jordan at least are :v:

e;

and they're keeping it fresh with some straight-from-2007 megaman sprite edits for their... logo?

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

HAmbONE posted:

Well thank you. My dad takes care of his stuff so everything looks to be in good shape. I won’t be taking them to Goodwill. I guess find a place to test/appraise them once I get over Covid

If you aren't interested in trying to sell them on Ebay/etc yourself, KEH is a reasonable site that will appraise them and buy them from you.
You can probably send them the whole lot and they'll appraise everything.

https://www.keh.com/sell

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

TomR posted:

Budget for lenses. They are way more important than the camera. A 5D mk2 came out in 2008 and I'd take that with the rest of your budget spent on some used primes over a brand new rebel and some kit lenses. I will say though that the latest mirrorless cams have autofocus that blows everything away from a few years ago, but then you still need to spend money on lenses.

IMO mirrorless is just straight up easier to grasp for someone new to photography. Not just autofocus, but what you see in the viewfinder being the actual image you're going to capture, focus peaking, live histograms, etc etc...

DSLRs are still plenty good, but there is definitely much more of a learning curve to actually using them effectively.

Innocuous posted:

I'm a moron who has always been curious about photography but been scared off by cost. It occurs to me that Cyber Monday would probably be as good a time as any to reevaluate my choices and consider the cost of an entry-level amateur hobbyist photography setup (camera, a couple lenses, accessories, etc). Nonetheless, I've waited incredibly late in the ballgame to do any research here, and the huge amount of info I'm trying to digest is causing some analysis paralysis.

What can $600-1200 get me? Is that even enough to improve upon a good phone's camera? I'd like to get a camera that lets me get some baseline experience with the hobby and can hopefully provide a foundation if I want to dive deeper. I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

If you don't mind eeking just a little bit more out of your budget,
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1795712-REG/fujifilm_x_s10_mirrorless_camera_with.html

The XF18-55 kit lens (...basically the 'pack-in lens') is regarded as probably one of the best kit lenses you can get on any system, and the X-S10 is only a couple years old at this point and still extremely competitive feature-wise.

Re: multiple lenses, as someone who's just starting out unless you have a very good idea of why you want multiple lenses, there's not really any reason to not just get one general zoom lens like the 18-55 and learn on that. And if you see a situation where you think 'oh i wish this lens was wider/zoomed in more' then you can buy something to fix that gap.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

They mean the screen and viewfinder picture will match the final shot for those settings (if those options are enabled), not that the numbers will be displayed (dslrs did that too). If your picture is under or overexposed the LCD can show that real time before you click. It’s handy to see if your depth of field is too shallow too, etc.

Yeah, this.

On a DSLR viewfinder you're looking through the lens and the only indicator you have for how the image will be exposed is a little meter bar, which can be reading whatever depending in how you have your metering mode set. It might say the settings are correct, but then you go to review the image and it's super under/overexposed, because the meter was actually just reading a shadow or highlight.

There was even someone posting in a thread here not too long ago, wondering why their DSLR was severely underexposing some images and not others.
And the answer was iirc, they had it set to center weighted metering without knowing, and had the bright blue sky in the center of their shots.