Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I was looking at long lens options for medium format and I kept circling back around to the Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestegor 500mm f/5.6 because I already have a 300mm lens for P6 mount and I wanted to try some super-tele experiments. It's not super rare, but there aren't a lot in good condition these days and they go for more money than I was prepared to spend on a lens I'd maybe use two or three times a year.

Then I saw an eBay listing from a German dealer without a Buy it Now price so I dropped a hilariously low bid on it and, to my surprise I got it at about a fifth of the prices that I was seeing on other auctions. It arrived last week and it's a beast. The barrel (which is huge) is all metal. The elements are both huge and heavy - the front element is a 118mm diameter chunk of glass. The thing weighs about 4kg before you attach it to a camera. This is not a lens for birding unless the bird is unusually still and patient. This is not a lens for action shooting unles you are very, very strong. This is a lens for putting on a tripod and seeing things a long way away. I have no filters that will go on that thing and I don't know of any manufacturers that make 118mm filters as standard. Even my 100mm square drop-in filters are too small for this beast.

Here it is on my 6x6 Arax 88 with a 2x teleconverter between the camera and the lens for 1000mm goodness.

To put the size in perspective, here it is with some other lenses.
L-R Orestegor 500mm, my previous hugest lens, a Tair-33 300mm, and the standard 80mm lens that usually sits on my Arax.

And here it is with a Canon 70-200mm lens and the case for the thing in the background.

Best of all, that knurled ring around the lens mount is a collar that lets you switch out the standard Pentacon 6 lens mount for a different one. I have a separate cone adapter for Exakta mount, so I can fit that thing to my 35mm Exakta VX1000 and try some tripod-assisted wildlife photography with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

:five:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

VSOKUL girl posted:

lens durability test results!

the sigma 35mm 1.4, notoriously made of plastic, filled with sensitive focus-by-wire and aperture motors:
flew out of a bag in a mosh pit to land a good 10-15ft away on a concrete floor. worked fine for months after, eventually needed a $100 motor repair as whatever initial injury it incurred finally brought it down

the voigtlander 110mm, with an all-metal body and fully mechanical unmotorized focus and aperture controls:
promptly detached the aperture blade/rear element/mount segment partway from the rest of the lens, to awkwardly hang halfway outside its housing, after a modest two-foot tumble onto a hardwood floor

Do the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 next!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

digitalist posted:

Looks like the Capture One Pro licenses are changing,
http://imgur.com/
Not sure what to think about this just yet, I guess it depends on whatever the "loyalty scheme" turns out to be but I'm not all that tempted to spend 250$ to find out. C1Pro does what I need to do as is so I'll probably just ride this version as far as it can take me.

e: I had forgotten the Adobe/Lightroom subscription is regularly priced at ~25$ a month which makes me feel a bit better.

I know it changes based on where you live but the Adobe Photography plan which includes all versions of Lr and Ps, as well as some cloud storage is £10/mo (so I guess ~ $12US/$15CAD/$∞AUS).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Mate, I am both a big DIYer and an even more massive cheapskate [ASK]me about spending several afternoons cutting and cleaning grungy glass plates from an ancient hothouse for shooting ambrotypes and even I don't make my own silver nitrate. Just buy it from a wet plate supplier.

I looked into buying in bulk from Alibaba when I was starting out but noped out of the conversation when it turned out it was cheap because they mislabel it to avoid customs/hazmat freight charges. I'm pretty sure that's how my wet plate supplier sources hers though, her prices are lower than any of the chemistry suppliers I checked.

Gearing up for an international move and gonna have to leave several hundred dollars worth of silver nitrate behind :smith: I looked into whether I could boil it down into a more concentrated volume and travel with it as a liquid in a checked bag, but nope.

I had similar issues when trying to source ammonium iron(III) oxalate to make cyanotype sensitiser. No-one would sell me any in quantities smaller than 500kg. Eventually I got someone at a Chinese chemical factory on Alibaba to sell me 1kg as a sample and it came mislabelled so that customs wouldn't impound it. None of the materials data sheets, nothing. Just an unlabelled plastic bottle full of green crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Sal Cincotta, a Las Vegas-based wedding photographer and owner of the company that runs the Shutterfest photo contest, won several categories at Shutterfest. https://petapixel.com/2017/04/28/photo-contest-owner-won-contest-pitchforks-came/