Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Inspired my Megabound I've begun building a pinhole

To be real honest a lot of numbers and sizes and fstops was really intimidating, but I discovered pinhole cameras that ignore a lot of that and it seems like a fine place to start for a little project

I am in a workshop fairly regularly and a pinhole camera seemed fairly simple so I raided the scraps bin, fired up the laser cutter and table saw and got to work

Figured a 0.3 pinhole, 50mm focal length were some nice round numbers that yeilded a box that was big enough to work in, but small enough to handle

I really wanted something that accepts standard 35mm rolls cos disassembling a home made contraption in a dark room seems like poor thing to design into it, and I want to be able to field reload it

Its still very much WIP, but it's beginning to look the part

I've since blacked out the interior too

I just need to get some felt to light seal/make the wipes and make the pinhole and I'll be off to the races

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm definitely going to try it out and use it if the results are consistently on par with a real aperture change. They are all just tools!

This is really cool! Definitely share the final result.

]

For sure

My long term is to see if I can hack together a cyanotype development process, I don't really have the ability to set up a permanent dark room , and don't want to gently caress with developing chems beyond cyanotype or maaaaaaybe silver nitrate salt printing.

Will probably buy a transpancy printer and go the contact printing route...

I have a few ideas (turmeric ? Pinhole enlarger? Sheet film?)but I'll worry about that later and I'll be sure to post the journey

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Busy day

Light seal and wipes done,

I'll probably laser cut the next one, but this should do for now

Did some anthotyping just to get my head aro5 absolute basic development, and it's fun

And I'm currently seeing how a Wildly hacked together camera made from scrap cardboard and dollar store optics makes a turmic print, sitting at a 2-3 hour exposure

UPDATE, it didn't work which is unsurprising but I thiiiink I saw something so I'm going to do a full day exposure tomorrow to confirm/deny

Also the camera is now built, a bit of fit an finish here and there but it's done

Just need to sort out if it's light proof , and I'm good to go

Jestery fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 14, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

With a massive help from megabound my camera took it's first photos today

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Megabound posted:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for version 2! All eminently solvable issues. I was thinking about how you could.measure the advance with the dead roll of film I have you. Just mark up the start and end of the frame then run the advance until you get the spacing you want. I also think a pressure plate system would be nicer than the slits you have in the adjustable baffle at the moment. Also foam instead of felt for the baffle itself will get rid of that hair issue.

Still, good lessons!

Absolutely, giving it a crack in hand has really been enlightening. Much much to consider

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I've had some free time on a laser cutter and have been building V2 pinhole

Idea is a pocketable half frame pinhole camera

Its looking good so far

Its like a micro brownie for lomography

Jestery fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 15, 2023

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My adventures in pinhole creation are continuing

So I've gone to version three, which is looking very promising with the lessons learnt from my previous builds

Its cool how you can see the lineage and what I have learnt along the way in the desIgn language

I only have access to the laser cutter for the next two weeks so there is a bit of a time crunch, but it's coming along really well

Edit

I think that's it, I'll post the files here and otherwheres soon enough

Jestery fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well, first full roll out of my V1 full frame pinhole

And I'll be having a crack with my newer one in some time

Here are the best ones from the first roll

I know these are deeply flawed and much work is needed, but some of them are nice nonetheless

And it's nice to see photos out of a home made "thing"