Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone want to throw out recommendations for a compact mirrorless camera? I currently have a Canon T3i, and I find myself leaving it at home all the time because its big and bulky and I have analysis paralysis choosing which of 15 lenses to bring and I'm just kind of tired of the whole thing.

I have some travel coming up and instead of lugging my whole Canon DSLR setup with, I'm bringing my Gopro 12, setting it to raw mode for photos, a small tripod and a small gimbal and thats it.

Ultimately I'm undecided if I want interchangeable lenses on said small mirrorless camera, I like the choice, and I like primes better than zooms, but I also dont want to collect a million lenses again. I have my eye on some used Canon EOS-M's, but ultimately I probably wont get one because to do what I really want to do with it, I need to mess with magic lantern and in the name of simplification, I dont really want to.

Ideally:

-Interchangeable lenses (EF-S would be nice, as thats what I have), or a good non-interchangeable prime, or a really good zoom lens (this is very helpful, I know)
-Shoots RAW, has the ability to use manual controls
-4K video would be nice

I'm looking in the $500 range and I keep coming back to a used G7x or an EOS-M, but I wanted to solicit other opinions as well. In an ideal world I'd cough up the money for a Fuji X100V but I dont think thats in the cards.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

e:nm misread

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It seems sort of bullshit that Lightroom is the one thing from adobe not on sale for BF

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:psypop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s incredible how just the design of that lens implies that it’s built to absolutely inhale light

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is anyone here familiar with the disassembly of the Pentax ME Super? I was out shooting last weekend at night with a cable release, and as I was getting out of my car with the cable release still screwed into the shutter button, the release got caught on something in the car and snapped the shutter button off in the camera. Thankfully it looks like a clean break, and the button was plastic so it didn't (or shouldn't have, hopefully) put a ton of force onto other parts of the camera when it snapped.

I ordered a new old stock metal shutter button from ebay. I'm wondering if I can somehow get the shutter button out through the mode selection dial that is on the top of the body, or do I have to take the whole top of the body off?

Other than the shutter button the camera is in great shape and works really well, so I'd like to dig into it the least amount possible

A314 in this diagram is what I snapped:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is anyone here familiar with the disassembly of the Pentax ME Super? I was out shooting last weekend at night with a cable release, and as I was getting out of my car with the cable release still screwed into the shutter button, the release got caught on something in the car and snapped the shutter button off in the camera. Thankfully it looks like a clean break, and the button was plastic so it didn't (or shouldn't have, hopefully) put a ton of force onto other parts of the camera when it snapped.

I ordered a new old stock metal shutter button from ebay. I'm wondering if I can somehow get the shutter button out through the mode selection dial that is on the top of the body, or do I have to take the whole top of the body off?

Other than the shutter button the camera is in great shape and works really well, so I'd like to dig into it the least amount possible

A314 in this diagram is what I snapped:

Well, turns out that the metal shutter button was from a different model of pentax and didnt fit mine (disappointing, because I can tell the plastic button will be a weak point), so I wound up ordering a whole-rear end broken ME Super off ebay just to steal the shutter button from. I swapped it over last night, and now my camera works again, and I have a parts body to pilfer things from if I need them, I guess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really like the picture of the person in the hat, regardless if it has a bit of missed focus.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Would put something entirely inappropriate like portra 800 through that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Admiral Bosch posted:

Posting here instead of landscape since these aren't my pictures. Good friend of mine was out in southwest Utah recently and he's gotten a mixed bag response on what looks better for this shot, color or B&W. I say B&W hands down. He polled reddit for opinions, which... would not be my first choice, and got an overwhelming response in favor of color. I am curious as to what the general opinion here might be.

I think the foreground looks much better in B&W, which is what tips the scales for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m far from a fantastic photographer myself and I absolutely am not interested in portraiture personally, so this isn’t me making GBS threads on portrait photography, but it takes everything in me to not comment when I see friends and family posting “professional” pictures of their kids where the photographer cranked the vibrancy and saturation to 200% on the kids irises, or straight up just replaced them with some anime version.

They wind up looking like doll eyes

It’s insane to me that people pay for that, and consider it good. No accounting for taste I suppose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everybody goes through that phase in the beginning where they crank all the sliders all the way and can’t understand why other photographers hate the HDR look

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fire up a google voice number and have everyone text their photos to that number. Its easy for you, everyone should already be familiar with the process of texting pictures, and no one needs any extra software or logins to anything.

On the backend you'll be able to see all the text threads in the google voice web interface, so you can just flip through them and "right click save as" all the images to wherever you want

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 29, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nikon bought them so they can shoot raw video without paying recurring licensing to Red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nick Carver does a 30 minute wife reveal, which is, I must admit, very ballsy on youtube in 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8-_rR7JiIs